Sponsored by:

My '99 C2 Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts
Default My '99 C2 Mod Thread

This is my new favorite car I've ever owned. Big statement after only a week for a guy that struggles to keep a car for more than a year but it was love at first drive.

So I've got big plans for her but I'm going to progress along one step at a time and enjoy the process. I haven't worked on cars much and almost none in the last 20 years. But with all of the great resources and people in the 996 community, I plan to do as much as I can myself and learn as I go. The IMS, Clutch, RMS, thermostat and Coolant Reservoir were all done by the previous owner.

So my first upgrade was an SSK. The Numeric was recommended to me on here and it is a piece of art.

Before:

After:

Old 04-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Took it for a spin. Huge improvement. The stock 996 shifter was really really bad. Not sure if it was age or bad design but I really disliked it.

It's been a year since I've had the Porsche SSK and I'm not sure I can tell a huge difference between it and the Numeric. Maybe if I used them closer together I'd be able to discern between them better. But they are both excellent products IMO.

Swapped out the console while I was at it. The old one had a broken door on it. Picked one up off of eBay for $150 then permanently locked the door to hopefully keep it from breaking again. It's a good thing because I broke a tab off the ebrake panel while removing it. Live and learn.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:12 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I've installed the 997 shifter but the numeric shifter looks like it might be in a class of its own. Is it an SSK like the 997 SSK or is it adjustable? What grease did you use on the cable ends?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
I've installed the 997 shifter but the numeric shifter looks like it might be in a class of its own. Is it an SSK like the 997 SSK or is it adjustable? What grease did you use on the cable ends?
It has 3 positions of adjustment that are basically standard, short, and super short. I set it in the middle and it is very tight.

I had an 997TT that I upgraded from the standard shifter to the Porsche SSK. It took a good shifter and made it feel great IMO. The numeric is definitely another step up from there but tough to say if it's a big enough step to justify the difference.

The existing cable end still had plenty of grease in it so I didn't add any additional. It has some wear on it though so I will probably replace them at some point.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I did replace my cable ends whilst I was there, they weren't worn but I did it anyway and greased both with new lithium grease. Awesome shifter but I think I'm itching for an even shorter 997 SSK kit!

Anyway, numeric looks great
Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
I did replace my cable ends whilst I was there, they weren't worn but I did it anyway and greased both with new lithium grease. Awesome shifter but I think I'm itching for an even shorter 997 SSK kit!

Anyway, numeric looks great
FYI, the medium setting on the numeric seems about the same as the 997SSK. I might have to try out the "short setting" when I replace the cable ends. It is supposed decrease throw by 40% as opposed to the 35% on the 997SSK.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

First CEL today. Only a slight panic. But it just so happened that my Durametric arrived today! 6 actually but that's another story.

Whipped out my Surface 2, plugged it in, and like magic I had access to the ECU. I was giddy. Error code P0112. Looked it up, changed air filter (was on list for this week anyways) and cleared the code. Hopefully it was that simple but we will see.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Trimsarctic996
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad the Durametric worked on your '99, it found a coil problem error on mine, but it will not find the airbag light error. This seems to be a problem with the '99s hopefully yours will work out for you.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Trimsarctic996
I'm glad the Durametric worked on your '99, it found a coil problem error on mine, but it will not find the airbag light error. This seems to be a problem with the '99s hopefully yours will work out for you.
Good to know. I'll watch the release notes to see if they hopefully address the issue in an update.

Started on the AOS replacement last night. The rear plenum kicked my *** following the pelican guide. Found good info on dropping the engine and loosening the manifold first here on Rennlist. Wish I'd researched it more beforehand. At least I now have hope of getting it back together.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Holy crud I think I did it! Here's what I've been working on this week:

1. Change out AOS
2. Change out Water pump
3. install Spin on Oil Adapter and magnetic drain plug
4. Change Spart Plugs
5. Upgrade Motor Mounts to Rennline adjustable

All in all it took me about 40 hours and using a couple of lifelines to Ahsai when I was stuck (thanks bro!) That's probably about twice as what it should take but every little step seemed to present it's own challenge. The AOS sucked as bad as advertised. Getting the plenums off was almost my downfall. Luckily I read to drop the engine 3" and put the plenums on before tightening the manifold so putting them back on went a little better. I swear, for novice DIY, the AOS almost seemed like a right of passage, complete with mental and physical hazing. But when I started her back up just now, she was purring like a kitten, or more like a tiger with the new engine mounts. All in all it was an absolute blast and I learned a crazy amount. Fingers crossed that it runs as well when I get it back on the road.

Next up: Changing the brake fluid to Motul 600 and trying out the EBC Red Stuff Brake pads. My DE is next Friday and I'm pretty fired up about it.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:37 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
5. Upgrade Motor Mounts to Rennline adjustable
How do you like them so far (and which polyurethane insert are you using)? I was looking at the Rennline Semi-solids or the RSS Tarmacs. Why did you choose the RL ones?

Also, wow, that's a ton of work to do. I don't think I'm brave enough to DIY the AOS, holy crap. Congrats!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Trimsarctic996
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Good job Slakker, have fun at your DE next week!
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

The Rennline were a good price and well reviewed. I think it was KCAttorney that recommended changing the mounts when I first got on the forum and what a huge difference it would make. But since my goal is a trackable daily driver, I didn't know how aggressive of a mount to get. So the adjustability of the Rennline seemed a perfect choice.

Thanks Trims!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
But since my goal is a trackable daily driver, I didn't know how aggressive of a mount to get.
For the effort of replacing AOS, I would've suggested the motorsport AOS which is more beefy. I hope you don't end up blowing your stock AOS prematurely tracking your car.

Also, hope you don't develop leaks soon from the spark plug tubes. Not sure if the tubes and o-rings are original but usually these along with coil packs are replaced together as it's not that much more labor.

Either way, sounds like you are getting closer to being track ready. Good Luck.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:59 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
For the effort of replacing AOS, I would've suggested the motorsport AOS which is more beefy. I hope you don't end up blowing your stock AOS prematurely tracking your car. Also, hope you don't develop leaks soon from the spark plug tubes. Not sure if the tubes and o-rings are original but usually these along with coil packs are replaced together as it's not that much more labor. Either way, sounds like you are getting closer to being track ready. Good Luck.
Ok. Good info. Learning as I go. AOS should be easier second time through. Jake recommended replacing it every 3 years but if I end up getting in more DE than Autocross days I will upgrade it to the Motorsport version

When you say tubes and orings, are you talking about the tubes connected to the coils and the orings on the spark plug?

Thx!

Quick Reply: My '99 C2 Mod Thread