Sponsored by:

My '99 C2 Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
Did you try going back to the stiffer motor mount inserts yet? I'm running the reds and have zero issues with them.
I haven't. I was a little worried about the effect of the vibration on the motor. At 4K RPM do you have a distinct escalation in nvh that you know is 4K without looking?
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I haven't. I was a little worried about the effect of the vibration on the motor. At 4K RPM do you have a distinct escalation in nvh that you know is 4K without looking?
The only time I can feel anything resonating in the cabin is around 3200-3500 when just cruising, but it doesn't feel like nearly enough vibration to be a concern. I was expecting quite a lot more NVH over what I've experienced thus far.

I'll probably add the transmission mount inserts in the near future as well. Love the feel of a tight drivetrain.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Cool. I don't miss them daily driving but I will probably put them back in for the track.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

In other news, I put my deposit in for upgrading to a Flat6 3.8. I compared what I will have in my car when done with engine and all of my mods (50-55K) versus what else I could buy in that price range and there was nothing else I wanted. There is just something special about this one and I love how much feel for the car that you have when driving it. I thought about going the "roller" route like Pete but I already have so much work into this one that I've grown very attached.

Some of the things that influenced my decision:
- JR says the '99 is the best and I value his opinion
- I prefer the feel of NA over Turbo engines. The smooth power curves feel incredible to me. Snowboarding on deep fresh powder is the only thing I can compare it to.
- I went with the 3.8 over the 4.0 because it has wider power band which I think I will enjoy
- It will be nice not having to worry about the inherent deficiencies of my engine.
- GT3's don't have back seats
- it will be fun having people underestimate my car at DE and AutoX events. Especially if I can get my piloting skills up to match it.

It's scheduled to go under the knife in January of '17 and I'll have it back mid may. But in the meantime, I'll have a lot of fun enjoying it just as it is.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

WOW! Good for you! FSI and Jake are the best hands down. You will enjoy the experience...I hate the word journey.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I enjoyed reading the thread on your car and it definitely played a part in my decision. I'm really looking forward to the whole process.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:50 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn, that's some major love and dedication right there. I can't think of the last time someone here electively decided to upgrade their good running motor to a FSI stroker motor.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be curious to know what the difference in cost is if you drive it in vs. having to haul it in.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arch1t3ct
I'd be curious to know what the difference in cost is if you drive it in vs. having to haul it in.
May not be a difference since they use so little of the original engine but this way you are guaranteed not to screw up any of the parts they do use.

The rebuild is going to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of high 20's but less than 30 by the time it is done including return shipping and add-ons. I was already mentally budgeting for a rebuild simply because I didn't want to let a blown engine ruin my day.

This car really wants to have about another 50-70rwhp to take it to the next level but there is no way I could justify that much just for the horsepower alone. But then I started looking at all of the other benefits: smoother running engine, better power band, if the engine blows before Jan. I am already on the schedule, and knowing that I have a solid built engine with no major design flaws. But the part that pushed it over the edge was being able to own a piece of engineering art from a master craftsman.

It's tough to gauge what it will do to the resale value of the car. To those that know the 996 and FSI, it may be worth full price to have one without having to wait a year. To the general public it won't add much value. But I bought this car to keep and to drive. So hopefully I won't have to cross that road anytime soon.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:02 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Your build is going to be phenomenal as it comes together. FSI rebuild sounds awesome. In a dream life...
Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Another RL Classifieds impulse buy. No more excuses not to learn heel/toe.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Dude, save some parts for the rest of us!!

Old 05-13-2016, 05:31 PM
VivG
Racer

You bailed on the Rennline motor mounts? (I saw them listed in the parts FS forum...) Just too much additional NVH? I was thinking about getting a set and running the softest inserts.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VivG
You bailed on the Rennline motor mounts? (I saw them listed in the parts FS forum...) Just too much additional NVH? I was thinking about getting a set and running the softest inserts.
I had an issue with them and when I took them out for awhile, I didn't miss them. I don't know if my stock mounts are in really good shape or what. I put the Rennline back in yesterday, test drove them, pulled them back out and sold them. I could live with the 4k RPM vibration (Blue inserts) if I felt like it was really shaving time at the track.

Plus, I am SOOO far over budget on my build and the list is getting longer not shorter. Net net, I basically swapped the engine mounts for camber plates today. It was a good day.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 PM
VivG
Racer

Ah yeah, I almost definitely need new engine mounts, which is why going semi-solid is on my list of things to consider. I might also do one of the transmission mount inserts at the same time.

Too many parts to mess with!

Quick Reply: My '99 C2 Mod Thread