996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is my flywheel in need of replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is my flywheel in need of replacement?

Opinions appreciated
Old 03-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I linked a lot of Shaeffler LUK diagnostics videos some time ago. The friction plate is easy. The DMF is a frequent source of misunderstanding in measuring the rotational free-play.
Here is one:

Using your fingers to 'test' is not effective:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:59 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

If you want an opinion, then YES, replace. The flywheel surface should be perfectly flat and yours shows a wear pattern that has worn down the surface and left grooves. Would it not be worth peace of mind, since you are already there, to replace it and know you did right? I know it is expensive, but with all the effort to get there to this point, replace. When I get to the point of needing a clutch job done, it will all be replaced.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

"With the pressure plate removed, you should be able to see the flywheel. The 911 Carrera uses a dual-mass flywheel, which is a two-piece component that is bonded together. This changes the natural frequency of the flywheel and reduces vibrations in the engine. Unfortunately, this flywheel can be expensive to replace. Porsche has released a Technical Service Bulletin on checking the dual-mass flywheel (TSB 911 8/02 1360), which I have placed on the 101Projects.com website for reference. Basically, the test procedure is to twist the pressure plate surface of the flywheel about 15mm to both the left and the right and check to see if it returns to approximately its original position. If the flywheel cannot be twisted at all, or if the flywheel can be twisted beyond the 15mm without a noticeable increase in the spring force, then the flywheel is likely to be faulty. Typically it's a wise idea to replace your dual-mass flywheel every 100,000 miles or every other clutch replacement."

Yours looks fine to me in terms of spring return. However, the wear seems to be a bit deep and there's a clicking noise. If you can find someone locally that does resurfacing, that may not be a bad idea. In any case, you should use a new pilot bearing for sure.

Quick Reply: Is my flywheel in need of replacement?