Sponsored by:

99 c2 with cruise control issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Eli355
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 99 c2 with cruise control issue

I have a 99 c2 with 15000 mile. That's right I bought it from a friend that maintained the hell out of it but never used it. Perfect car every button and function works perfectly except the cruise control

If you press the button at the end of the stalk the light on the dash comes on, but the function will not engage. To me it feels like the mechanism at the end of the stalk is frozen. It will not "click" forward or backward.

While it is probably the one feature I am least likely to use I would like everything to work. Thoughts.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:30 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 285 Posts

Check the cruise safety switch that contacts the arm of the clutch pedal under the dash. Maybe the little plastic plunger mechanism is seized up?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli355
I have a 99 c2 with 15000 mile. That's right I bought it from a friend that maintained the hell out of it but never used it. Perfect car every button and function works perfectly except the cruise control

If you press the button at the end of the stalk the light on the dash comes on, but the function will not engage. To me it feels like the mechanism at the end of the stalk is frozen. It will not "click" forward or backward.

While it is probably the one feature I am least likely to use I would like everything to work. Thoughts.
When I push the lever forward to set the speed I don't have a "click" - same when I pull it towards me - no click. Is your lever moving?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:12 PM
frompub2dub
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Take a picture of underneath your clutch pedal...maybe your friend removed the clutch helper spring
Old 03-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

Do you have a burned out tail light bulb? If not, then does your car have aftermarket LED tail lights?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

Press the A (the end switch) on the automatic speed control lever. The green indicator light in the speedometer now indicates readiness. Bring the car to the desired speed with the accelerator, then push the operating lever forward 1 briefly (towards the dash) to engage the speed control. Once engaged, speed can be corrected in steps of 1 MPH by briefly pushing the lever forward (increase) or down (decrease). There is no clicking on the stalk, it is more of a fluid operation. Pulling the lever towards you (towards the steering wheel) interrupts the speed control, as does stomping on the brake pedal.

As said, if it does not work at all, check brake lights and the switches on the brake pedal. Those disengage the speed control. Fuse at B7 is the brake/speed control fuse. I don't remember the exact cutoff speed, but I think it will not engage the speed control below 25 MPH - "The automatic speed control maintains any selected speed between 25 MPH and 120 MPH."
Old 03-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

I have after market LEDs. The cruise indicator turns on and off with the button when I start it but disappears when I drive off. Two of the bulbs are out in my LED 3rd break light. Could this be it? Can you replace the LEDs or do you have to replace the light?

Thx!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I have after market LEDs. The cruise indicator turns on and off with the button when I start it but disappears when I drive off. Two of the bulbs are out in my LED 3rd break light. Could this be it? Can you replace the LEDs or do you have to replace the light?

Thx!
Don't think individual LED's can be replaced...easily. Also, there have been previous reports of aftermarket LED tail lights causing cruise control to stop working. The more recent versions of the LED tail lights include resistors and that seems to allow cruise to continue working with the aftermarket lights. Do you still have the OEM lights - if so, you might re-install and see if cruise works then.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My cc didnt work before I removed the clucth helper spring. Same symptoms.
I thought it was a circut issue as the reverse lights were out. Changed the switch on the trans, still not working.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

Thx!
It's possible that the LED tail lights are causing the issue. As mentioned above, this problem has occurred before.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:41 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Do you still have the OEM lights - if so, you might re-install and see if cruise works then.
Car didn't come with the originals. It would be great for troubleshooting but I think I'd rather have the LED's than cruise control if it came down to it.

I'll add upgrading the LEDs to the list at some point to see if it fixes it.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car didn't come with the originals. It would be great for troubleshooting but I think I'd rather have the LED's than cruise control if it came down to it.

I'll add upgrading the LEDs to the list at some point to see if it fixes it.
I had similar cruise control issues - replaced the whole steering column stalk unit because indicator return was also broken - problem fixed. Part was about $225 from sunset if I recall and it is a relatively easy diy - just a couple of fiddly bolts and be careful with the clock spring (tape it well) and have a good marker to mark position of wheel on column before you remove it ....
Old 03-30-2016, 12:43 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by targa996
I had similar cruise control issues - replaced the whole steering column stalk unit because indicator return was also broken - problem fixed. Part was about $225 from sunset if I recall and it is a relatively easy diy - just a couple of fiddly bolts and be careful with the clock spring (tape it well) and have a good marker to mark position of wheel on column before you remove it ....
Good info. Thx!

Quick Reply: 99 c2 with cruise control issue