Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

I have the ln/ebs setup and pressure still drops...badly
Old 10-05-2018, 12:45 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Disappointing to hear. I am committed now, so I'll do the mod. I have a 996 Oil sensor to fit to monitor pressure. I'm at a testing phase. If it seems like racing is going to blow the motor I may well leave the car as a DE day car and not go to Spec Boxster standard.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

Thanks Ira, I’ve been in contact with Don at EBS Racing. According to him, the ideal setup with the LN 0.5 quart deep sump kit is to use the EBS Racing deep sump baffle version and omit the LN spacer that goes under baffle.
That's the set up that we decided to run on our test car.

Ira

www.Tarett.com | Sales@Tarett.com | 858.674.5573

Check out our new Suspension Package Designer

Old 10-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
The baffle and spacer both work independent of each other and each help with pressure drop. They help, but I can't say they solve it completely under all conditions. We recently added sensors to our test car to monitor it and see how much it helps. There is also a 2 qt system that I'd expect to provide additional protection and we'll try that next if needed.

Ira
Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
The baffle and spacer both work independent of each other and each help with pressure drop. They help, but I can't say they solve it completely under all conditions. We recently added sensors to our test car to monitor it and see how much it helps. There is also a 2 qt system that I'd expect to provide additional protection and we'll try that next if needed.
Ira
I look forward to reading what the results are. The whole purpose of the Boxster is to take track duty off my 964 so I need to have confidence in it, particularly in sweepers.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,793 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie J
The oil pressure drops ,they are @the slowest corners @ the slowest REVs. This is what is expected at the time ,lower revs, lower oil pressure in a race. If you just had a oil pressure gauge , you might be able to pick this up, but I believe that in a race you normally do not look at gauges @ turn in. Also oil pressure senders are dampened, the data sensors can be dampened by adjusting the sampling rate, the Data dash setup controls this, much more accurate method.

Mantissport has been at the leading edge on Deep sumps. We developed this in 2006 when we build the 1St Cayman race car. Having raced a 911SC with dry sump I did'nt like the wet sump deal. So I decided we needed more oil, 2L more. Mantissport over the years has developed this into a advanced 1 pc sump, better baffling/oil dams this help direct the oil to the oil pickup. Solid bottom , more ground clearnace by 5/8". Our concept has been copied by others.In the past ,We have worked with Bodymotion group in developing Sumps, Bodymotion has their own solution, grew out of ours. Its nice.

The Mantis windage tray, prevents sloshing of oil up the sides of the block, also locates the stock baffle, above the deep sump.The oil dams in the sump direct the oil on turns to the oil pickup. We have used a local universities CFD program to locate the dams, shaker post rig testing. We have tried to provide the best solution for street/track/racing. Mantissport ,also has a custom made 944 oil pans , with dual baffles, 2L to 4L more oil capacity.
Looking at your graph, the oil pressure is running about 3.7-4.0 bar. Using the 10psi per 1k "rule of thumb" this would be safe for 6k RPM. Is that the max this engine was turning?

I would like to see another .7 bar if turning 7k RPM.The oil pump reliefe valve is factory set to 5 bar so the pressure will never exceede this and would be safe to redline. Or are you running looser than factory bearing clearances so the pressure will not reach max?Also I see the oil temp is 233F, where is measurement taken? what weight oil? Thanks for any detail
Old 10-06-2018, 03:29 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
So if I'm looking to eventually move to R-comps for DE and Autocross events, which of these is recommended? Baffle only, +.5 quart kit, or +2 quart kit? Thx!
It is our recommendation to run the .5 quart kit with n-spec street tires. Anything stickier and that's not enough, even with the x51 style baffle. The 2 quart deep sump provides sufficient system volume and oil control for the higher sustained g-forces sticky tires, suspension, and other mods allow.

That said, race oil is a must when taking any of these cars on track. The factory fill won't cut it even with a 2 quart deep sump.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
It is our recommendation to run the .5 quart kit with n-spec street tires. Anything stickier and that's not enough, even with the x51 style baffle. The 2 quart deep sump provides sufficient system volume and oil control for the higher sustained g-forces sticky tires, suspension, and other mods allow.

That said, race oil is a must when taking any of these cars on track. The factory fill won't cut it even with a 2 quart deep sump.
I’m planning to run my setup with road legal Pirelli Trofeo R tires, but on standard suspension, for the moment. I have a racing oil fill. How often do you suggest changing it?

Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

I’m planning to run my setup with road legal Pirelli Trofeo R tires, but on standard suspension, for the moment. I have a racing oil fill. How often do you suggest changing it?

Driven recommends 500 miles, however we've had customers be able to run longer. Used oil analysis is key. We've partnered with Speediagnostix for this: https://www.speediagnostix.com/

One safe option is to change the filter and top off the oil after the first race weekend and change the oil after the next event. If you plan on storing the car for any period of time, you need to put in a street oil for the required corrosion inhibitors.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:21 AM
mdsarch
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator996
I ran the FVD kit on my 996. It adds 3/4 of a quart of oil more than the X-51 pan and has improved baffles and a pick-up tube spacer. I had zero problems with this kit running rcomps, averaging 4 DE's a year. Super easy install too.

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/92...otorsport.html
+1 for the FVD Kit. I have the same with no issues.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another shout out for the FVD kit. - On JRZ Series 11 with Yoko AD08R currently at circa 20 trackdays and counting. - I run Millers 10w50 CFS Nano but change up at 6k.

Slightly off topic, has anyone retro fitted the additional X51 scavenge pump? I see LN have them for sale, Does it / how much does it, help protected against oil starvation?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Evil Bunny
Another shout out for the FVD kit. - On JRZ Series 11 with Yoko AD08R currently at circa 20 trackdays and counting. - I run Millers 10w50 CFS Nano but change up at 6k.

Slightly off topic, has anyone retro fitted the additional X51 scavenge pump? I see LN have them for sale, Does it / how much does it, help protected against oil starvation?
They do work and when coupled with a stock oil pan, x51 baffle, and race oil, I've been told there are no pressure losses, but I've always run them in conjunction with our 2 quart deep sump.

There was a company that made them in europe after Porsche discontinued them, however like theirs, ours do not fit a 911 very well on both heads due to the suspension upright being too close to the pump. There is also the complexity of eliminating the tandem vacuum pump that makes installations difficult.

Once we are out of existing stock of pumps, we are discontinuing them due to lack of demand.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Being sceptical about the "rubber doors" (..they looks good on the bench, but thinking about the rubber shape when it is on his oil bath at track days session temp !!), when doing this mod, I went to Ira's good staines steel doors kit !
Note : had to modified it to fit, when using 1/2 quart extension.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Please share more info about this kit. Where do you get it? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 PM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Being sceptical about the "rubber doors" (..they looks good on the bench, but thinking about the rubber shape when it is on his oil bath at track days session temp !!), when doing this mod, I went to Ira's good staines steel doors kit !
Note : had to modified it to fit, when using 1/2 quart extension.

I would like to know how this baffle or even the stock plastic baffle works. The oil pickup is located in the middle compartment, so we want that area to always have oil even under heavy braking or high G turns. Does the engine return oil back into the oil pan also in the middle compartment?

I guess I'm questioning why the oil is even allowed to flow to the left and right compartments if all the action is in the middle compartment.

If oil drains to the left and right compartments, why not reroute the drains to the middle compartment and make the middle compartment much smaller so the oil has no where else to go even under high G forces.

Quick Reply: Oil pan baffle questions