Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil pan baffle questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018 | 08:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Probably because at high rpm the oil pump moves enough volume to empty that smaller chamber before oil could adequately drain down and refill. plus you have a case seam and the pick up tube there so there isnt much space for an efficiently routed return line.

With a vertical and horizontal baffle, and a 2 qt deep sump, im not sure why i still have issues, but i do.
Old 10-11-2018 | 08:31 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

I recently installed the 2 quart deep sump and discovered my car already had an X51 type baffle installed. The old one has the rubber doors and the new one has metal doors.
Old 10-12-2018 | 03:40 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

While we are at it, a shout out to Don at EBS Racing. In error I bought the wrong version of their baffle from a reseller. He offered to swap it for the deep sump version for free, which is what happened.

It was a very different experience to the rebranded China made exhaust bought from a Texas supplier which didn't fit out of the box and the reply was basically "suck it up princess".
Old 10-12-2018 | 04:00 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Don at EBS is fantastic! I bought the 1/2 quart extension and the baffle to go with it and I couldn't get the baffle to fit right. My email was responded fast and clear instructions. Turn out different year car could have different shape of oil pan and the orange piece on the baffle has to be removed on one of the corner for mine to fit. But customer service was great! LN was also great in responding to my question as well!
Old 12-25-2018 | 01:16 PM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
They do work and when coupled with a stock oil pan, x51 baffle, and race oil, I've been told there are no pressure losses, but I've always run them in conjunction with our 2 quart deep sump.

There was a company that made them in europe after Porsche discontinued them, however like theirs, ours do not fit a 911 very well on both heads due to the suspension upright being too close to the pump. There is also the complexity of eliminating the tandem vacuum pump that makes installations difficult.

Once we are out of existing stock of pumps, we are discontinuing them due to lack of demand.
Charles, thanks for the reply, how do they rate versus an Accusump?
Old 12-25-2018 | 04:43 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

The accusump does work, but the downside is that it robs system pressure to accumulate oil and they may be times the engine ends up overfilled. The biggest problem I saw was people running them and forgetting to actually turn them on. A tandem scavenge pump or deep sump requires no special consideration when operating the vehicle.
Old 03-29-2019 | 10:10 PM
Shooter_McGavin
Track Day

Hey everyone, I'll be getting into my first HPDE track events this summer and will be putting a new set of tires on the car. I'm looking at a set of extreme performance tires like the Dunlop Direzza Z3, Potenza RE-71R, etc. and i'm trying to figure out if I need to get an X51 type baffle with those type of tires or if iI'll be OK with the stock setup until I go R compounds? I'm new to track days so I'll be in the beginner run groups and wont be driving the car anywhere near it's limits but my local track is Pike Peak International Raceway that uses part of its NASCAR banked oval on the road course. Should I be worried about the banked oval possible causing some starvation issues?

Thanks in advance for the help, trying to do as many preventative measures as I can before hitting the track in a few months.
Old 03-30-2019 | 12:36 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Need?? Seems like cheap insurance.
Old 03-30-2019 | 10:28 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shooter_McGavin
Hey everyone, I'll be getting into my first HPDE track events this summer and will be putting a new set of tires on the car. I'm looking at a set of extreme performance tires like the Dunlop Direzza Z3, Potenza RE-71R, etc. and i'm trying to figure out if I need to get an X51 type baffle with those type of tires or if iI'll be OK with the stock setup until I go R compounds? I'm new to track days so I'll be in the beginner run groups and wont be driving the car anywhere near it's limits but my local track is Pike Peak International Raceway that uses part of its NASCAR banked oval on the road course. Should I be worried about the banked oval possible causing some starvation issues?

Thanks in advance for the help, trying to do as many preventative measures as I can before hitting the track in a few months.
Yes, running on the high bank oval you definitely have to worry about oil starvation. You really should consult with a knowledgeable Porsche race team about what oil/oil pan setup you should have for running your "wet sump" engine on the high banks. Some recommend not to do it at all because of the engine design. This is a situation where even a deep sump oil pan will not work to keep oil under the pickup tube.
Old 03-30-2019 | 10:53 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Yes, running on the high bank oval you definitely have to worry about oil starvation. You really should consult with a knowledgeable Porsche race team about what oil/oil pan setup you should have for running your "wet sump" engine on the high banks. Some recommend not to do it at all because of the engine design. This is a situation where even a deep sump oil pan will not work to keep oil under the pickup tube.
What's the point in having a 911 if you can't track it? You can't call it a sports car then. Maybe they should be known as a "sporty sub-compact".

If it's that fragile and it breaks while I am tracking it, so be it. I joined the Driving Club at Road Atlanta last year and I have been able to attend several track days. I installed a 2qt deep sump and run Driven XP-9 10W40 (low foaming) oil. I drive the car as hard as my skill level allows. (I posted previously in the thread). My car had thousands of track miles before I bought it with the stock sump and an X51 baffle. It still has the original engine. Level 1 revs (redline) are maxed at over 3 minutes. Level 2 total a little over 3 seconds with the latest being over 50k miles ago.

Shooter needs to be comfortable with his decision regarding tracking the car. If the engine breaks, it's an expensive fix no matter what you do. I personally would install the deep sump kit (which comes with the X51 baffle), XP-9 oil, and have some fun at the track. Life it too short to worry about the "what ifs", in my opinion. But then again, I am willing to take the risk with my car and I am not telling Shooter what to do.
Old 03-30-2019 | 11:18 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Notice that my comments were about the high banking, not about tracking it. Of course you can track it with the right setup. My thoughts were heading towards prolonged running on a high bank where all the oil gets pulled by gravity away from the oil pickup tube. You don't experience that on a flat track. My experience with this is the Daytona Beach Speedway 31 degree high banks. You can barely stand up on the high banks they are so steep. The sports car clubs, including Porsche, do not allow the cars (or at least highly not recommended) on the high banks specifically for this reason. Note - I'm talking sports car clubs, DE setups, weekenders and so on......not specially prepped racing cars and teams.
Old 03-30-2019 | 12:13 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
The sports car clubs, including Porsche, do not allow the cars (or at least highly not recommended) on the high banks specifically for this reason.
I have never heard this.

I have walked on the Charlotte Motor Speedway and I know what you mean by steeply banked. Wouldn't this put the angle of the oil pan close to perpendicular to the force on such a steep bank? In that case the 31 degrees of bank would keep the oil closer to the center of the pan and help keep the pick up submerged.

I have watched videos of DE cars have blowouts of the right rear tire at Daytona. The load is apparently highest on that tire. Some driver's made great saves when the tires disintegrated at high speed. This is what I would be thinking about if I was out on the track.
Old 04-04-2019 | 12:25 PM
Shooter_McGavin
Track Day

Thanks for the input everyone, I went back and watched a few in car videos of the road course at PPIR and the banked part isn't nearly as steep as say Daytona or other major NASCAR ovals. You can see the course here.
Having seen that I feel a little better about driving there, especially since the local PCA chapter runs regular events there.

As CDS said it's cheap insurance even if I'm not running R compounds, $500 part vs $10k rebuild, so I'll be looking into that at some point this year.
Old 07-31-2021 | 05:28 PM
Gurasis Dhesi
7th Gear

Default Clarify please

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
It is our recommendation to run the .5 quart kit with n-spec street tires. Anything stickier and that's not enough, even with the x51 style baffle. The 2 quart deep sump provides sufficient system volume and oil control for the higher sustained g-forces sticky tires, suspension, and other mods allow.

That said, race oil is a must when taking any of these cars on track. The factory fill won't cut it even with a 2 quart deep sump.
Clarification needed please: with 0.5 kit do you mean just the spacer or spacer plus baffles?
Old 08-03-2021 | 07:12 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

If you are going to track the car with street tires, the .5 quart sump with the x51 baffle is sufficient. That said, if you end up going faster, pull more G's, and upgrade to stickier tires, you'll end up wanting the 2 quart deep sump, so that is something to keep in mind when making a selection.

Quick Reply: Oil pan baffle questions