Sponsored by:

Trade the 99' towards a Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:59 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C4S.

Better looking IMO; Turbo suspension and plenty fast, but lower price point and lower maintenance costs.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
So, I'm just curious, what causes the coolant pipe failures that I read about in the 996 turbo? It appears that the pipes are metal, so is it the adhesive that holds them in place? Is the repair for them pinning and/or welding also?
coolant pipes are glued in, sometimes these dry up or fail depends though. I have a 15 year old Turbo that's been tracked in summer hard every year and never had a issue. I think some engines may vibrate or move around to much and put stress on it who knows.

The fitting are completely different then glued in pipes though, its a separate issue. While glued in these plastic fittings actaully crack and then leak. Same issue seen in the 955 Cayennes with its coolant pipe failures.

Sharwerks has the fittings for sale
This set of stainless steel coolant pipes replaces the weak factory plastic units that are prone to failures.

This item is considered preventative maintenance and should be installed on all 997 Turbo (2007-2009), 997 GT2 (2008) and 997 GT2RS models. This part is not required or compatible with 996 Turbo models (which already have a metal tube).

A known weakness of the GT1 engine is that the coolant pipes (6-8 per engine) come unstuck from various housings and cause complete catastrophic coolant failures.

Shark Werks Coolant Pipes shown next to the stock plastic parts:

Old 03-23-2016, 10:14 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
coolant pipes are glued in, sometimes these dry up or fail depends though. I have a 15 year old Turbo that's been tracked in summer hard every year and never had a issue. I think some engines may vibrate or move around to much and put stress on it who knows.

The fitting are completely different then glued in pipes though, its a separate issue. While glued in these plastic fittings actaully crack and then leak. Same issue seen in the 955 Cayennes with its coolant pipe failures.

Sharwerks has the fittings for sale
Don't most tracks require you to pin or weld the pipes before passing inspection though? Or is that dependent on the region hosting the event?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fpena944
Don't most tracks require you to pin or weld the pipes before passing inspection though? Or is that dependent on the region hosting the event?
yes or the 3 option is to run water with water wetter which all race cars do.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,914 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
C4S.

Better looking IMO; Turbo suspension and plenty fast, but lower price point and lower maintenance costs.

Just one man's opinion.
^^^THIS^^^
Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel the 996tt is better in every way.
Agree!! I love mine. I have had one of my pipes pop loose. Re-bonded it and so far so good. Will have an engine out service soon and upgrade all the pipes and have them pinned. New coils, hoses and water pump etc....
Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

If you want a heavier and even more dull steering feeling electronic awd car with a engine that is fitted with cost savings measures like plastic coolant fittings that crack with age, and pressed on cam sleeves that slip and the variable turbos don't hold up as well as the old ones that do not move. Then go ahead, get a 997.1 tt
yawn.

plastic coolant fittings. How many have failed? yes, I want a real number, not a "well duh, i read somewhere that its been a lot."

Proof that the VGT turbos don't hold up as well? Evidence? Facts?

Pressed on cam sleeves...yup, that sucks.

talking about sucking, lets talk about your cracking tailights, your 2nd gear popouts, your ancient pcm, 4 piston front calipers, etc etc.

Lest we forget about the 70bhp power increase, as well as torque bump, reduced turbo lag, etc etc.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:07 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yawn.

plastic coolant fittings. How many have failed? yes, I want a real number, not a "well duh, i read somewhere that its been a lot."

Proof that the VGT turbos don't hold up as well? Evidence? Facts?

Pressed on cam sleeves...yup, that sucks.

talking about sucking, lets talk about your cracking tailights, your 2nd gear popouts, your ancient pcm, 4 piston front calipers, etc etc.

Lest we forget about the 70bhp power increase, as well as torque bump, reduced turbo lag, etc etc.
I don't work for Porsche to keep track of numbers. I've seen personally the cracked fitting while the engine was out while it was getting repaired. Plastic ages and with the engine vibration its not if it will crack but when. Cracked tail light mounts tabs can happen, these are plastic like your coolant fittings, except these are easy fixed cheaply. I don't have and actually never came across one with 2nd gear pop out issue, I wouldn't have bought the car if it did. PCM? or PSM? The 996tt can easily be brought up to 600hp or more. The variable turbos are weaker do to the nature of how it works if you run a tune and push them have be know to implode. etc.. etc. nuff talk, you want to arrange a track date then you can show me how much better the 997tt is.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

^Mid Ohio would be fun
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,914 Posts

quad and jumper - Do the race in New Jersey and loser has to take Chris Christie out for dinner after you figure out a way to get him in your car.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:01 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
quad and jumper - Do the race in New Jersey and loser has to take Chris Christie out for dinner after you figure out a way to get him in your car.
You know he has lost a lot of weight. I think naked covered in Crisco he would pop right in.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I am in Toronto and he is in NJ, Mid Ohio is somewhere in between us, though we can to other tracks, I know NNJR comes up to CTMP but NJMP is not a HP track at so he would lose that advantage. A 997tt even driven by an amateur should leave my slightly modified 996tt in the dust as its so superior.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to chime in....

Had the opportunity to buy a 996 turbo with many modifications and ended up with a 3.6L N/A due to how much more I can actually use the power on local roads and tight twisters. I can push my N/A about 90% everywhere I go as where I couldn't do that with the turbo. I honestly felt as though I would never use the turbo to its potential and even the seller of the turbo car agreed with me.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vdubjetta02
Have to chime in....

Had the opportunity to buy a 996 turbo with many modifications and ended up with a 3.6L N/A due to how much more I can actually use the power on local roads and tight twisters. I can push my N/A about 90% everywhere I go as where I couldn't do that with the turbo. I honestly felt as though I would never use the turbo to its potential and even the seller of the turbo car agreed with me.
I also currently have a 02 C4S. I agree, I can drive it full throttle with no thought not even worry about it coming out on you. Rain or Snow doesn't matter its almost a safe forgettable experience. You don't have to worry about having too much power or worry about having to manipulate the throttle to keep traction. You have to have keep it around 4000 rpm or more for it to be responsive. It can be more fun becuase of that just a whole lot slower.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the turbo. No brainer for me.

Quick Reply: Trade the 99' towards a Turbo?