Sponsored by:

Since when does LN Engineering want your old IMS bearing back

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche951
I do believe that LN Engineering profits from the hysteria that dominates these forums. That being said however a problem with the IMS bearing does exist. Possibly blown out of proportion from what percentage may be the reality but who amongst us is willing to take that chance. My bearing (like most) with 81k on it appeared to be in excellent shape, which I fully expected it to be. I just couldn't afford to be one of the unlucky 10 % who experience an engine failure. If a motor rebuild was around $5k I would not have replaced the bearing. $20k? That's a whole different story.

Agree.

Also my shop suggested it right away, and they didn't really end up making much money on me (they had a month waiting list at the time for an appointment), so it seems like something prudent to do on a 996. Hyped up, yes a little, but still a good thing to do.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 AM
RGrove
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche951
I do believe that LN Engineering profits from the hysteria that dominates these forums. That being said however a problem with the IMS bearing does exist. Possibly blown out of proportion from what percentage may be the reality but who amongst us is willing to take that chance. My bearing (like most) with 81k on it appeared to be in excellent shape, which I fully expected it to be. I just couldn't afford to be one of the unlucky 10 % who experience an engine failure. If a motor rebuild was around $5k I would not have replaced the bearing. $20k? That's a whole different story.
+996. Very well said. I had mine replaced around 25k miles (car was really low mileage when we got it). At the end of the day, it isnt a ton of money for piece of mind. Is the ceramic bearing the BEST option? I dont know for sure, but it does seem like Jake and Charles have done the most research and have the most experience with the IMS bearing, so I trusted that theirs is probably the best researched/developed option. I just wish the IMS solution was avail when I had mine done.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock
Charles - your business is in Chicago- the only certified installer closest to Chicago is Ohio

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
There are many long standing shops in the Chicago area that are active in the PCA who we support as our local customers. That said, we do Retrofit and Solution installs as time permits and we can squeeze into our schedule at Bilt Racing Service with is located in the same building at LN. But with our busy race schedule and builds, we are limited in the number of procedures we can schedule. We are by no means the cheapest because we adhere strictly to the pre-procedure qualification and do everything that must be done to ensure the best possible outcome from the procedure and that pushes some people to look elsewhere for service. But it certainly is available if requested.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

In aviation and heavy industry , it's very common to send components back to the oem for study . Data bases like the one described are built and the information is used to improve the next generation and develop system improvements . To infer an oem had ulterior motives is assinine .

Sometimes we do our own studies too .
I once took a part a bearing for a forensic metalurgy study , it was a roller bearing that failed , each ball was so heavy it took two of us to pick one up.
The study showed the grease system was undersized for the application , in arctic temperatures the flow rate slowed . The oem developed a heated feed with larger lines and injectors for Canadian and other cold climate locations .
Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
There are many long standing shops in the Chicago area that are active in the PCA who we support as our local customers. That said, we do Retrofit and Solution installs as time permits and we can squeeze into our schedule at Bilt Racing Service with is located in the same building at LN. But with our busy race schedule and builds, we are limited in the number of procedures we can schedule. We are by no means the cheapest because we adhere strictly to the pre-procedure qualification and do everything that must be done to ensure the best possible outcome from the procedure and that pushes some people to look elsewhere for service. But it certainly is available if requested.
Met these fine gentleman at PRI- I am in WI
And it seems a better choice since you are so close- Eurosport handle my motors when I raced
All great crews- now that I own a 996 C4 with a 105 K I need peace of mind and a new clutch - car is from California- no rust - thanks for the reply Charles
Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 AM
pesuazo
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Hey guys, I'll explain this one for the record. We have always required the old bearing to be sent in from day one. We disassemble the bearings, photograph them, and document the condition of the bearing along with vehicle vin and other relevant data. Then when we get a call about a particular car, we can look up if it has been retrofitted and all the information about that kit. We track every serial number on our end what type of kit it is, when it was made, etc. We can tell you a lot if the job is properly registered.

The other main reason for registration requiring the bearing is that there are many people and shops that have had the original bearing fail and they still put a retrofit in, resulting in the replacement bearing failing, or some other catastrophic failure, which then they come to us wanting us to buy them an engine.

Another part of the registration process is inclusion of the work order from the shop that put it it documenting the procedure and that it meets our guidelines and proper pre-qualification is done including the removal of the oil pan for inspection. You would be amazed at the number of shops that don't even bother to change the oil when putting a bearing in and we've had some even drain the old oil and reuse it. The level of incompetence is rampant.

These requirements are here to try to stop those shops cutting corners and doing work that shouldn't be carried out and ensure the best possible results from use of our products.
Thanks for the explanation.....

Quick Reply: Since when does LN Engineering want your old IMS bearing back