996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

White smoke with bluish hint from drivers side exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:42 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd get bank 2 boroscoped if I was you. no sense in dumping money on cats if the motor is on its way out.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:30 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I'd get bank 2 boroscoped if I was you. no sense in dumping money on cats if the motor is on its way out.
Double check on the boroscope! Ask them also to verify the throttle body, to see if it is really oily, it could point to a problem with the AOS.

If the boroscope further does not reveal any cilinder defects and the spark plugs and bores look clean without any carbon residues you have to look elsewhere for the 'problem'.

In that case I would just drive the car and see if the smoking is just a one time event or if there is a correlation with other factors to be found.

Just remember a puff of smoke occasionally could happen. It is sometimes inherent to the flat engine design that some oil could enter the cilinders during cooldown after engine shutoff.

Other cause can be that oil gets also past the AOS in some circumstances during driving. When parked it then slowly runs down past the throttle body on stand still. On next startup is enters the engine, causing some considerable smoke which should disappear after some 10-20 seconds.

AOS malfunction could be verified with the oil cap test already indicated before or a very greasy throttle body.

You still did not describe how the actually smoking was/is?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:55 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm.. it's white color smoke when give gas comes out like bunch of white clouds. From bank 1. Anyway to post video? I'm awaiting compression test. Will keep posted
Old 03-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Silk
Pro

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
Hmmm.. it's white color smoke when give gas comes out like bunch of white clouds. From bank 1. Anyway to post video? I'm awaiting compression test. Will keep posted
Considering throttle dependent smoking seems like AOS is to blame.

See also here for an example and how to check

Just to be sure because you were talking about the driver's side exhaust before. And now mentioning bank 1; bank nr1 is passenger side exhaust pipe; bank nr2 is driver side exhaust pipe.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Sorry. Bank 2
Old 03-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Silk
Pro

Sorry. Bank 2
Just puzzles me that it is one bank only. Maybe not the AOS at all. Because normally with a defective AOS it should be both exhausts that emit smoke upon revving. Someone else could probably tell you more.

Therefore boroscope seems to me still compulsory.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

So compression test was okay. They said it's within normal limits. Whatever that means. Tmrw boroscope. One of them mentioned something about camshaft allowing pooling of oil and it burns after . Didn't elaborate till does boroscope . It's seems like every day they find something new lol. It all started with clutch/ims appointment ...
Old 03-03-2016, 01:38 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

GET THE CAR OUT OF THERE!!!
Drive it for awhile see for yourself what is or isn't happening.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 AM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

The service advisor is a freind of mine so they doing all this checks as a favor. I am however getting annoyed at this point. So if they don't get their **** togather by tmrw I'm gonna take the car out.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM
Silk
Pro

Relax! Don't get annoyed

If it is a favor let them verify the most obvious things. If there is constant excessive smoke development it should be sorted out.

If further nothing noteworthy can be found and the smoke is not a recurrent event, take the car out and drive it some weeks to get familiar with it and see how it holds. Keep an eye on the usual variables such as coolant temperature, coolant level, oil level, ... and report back to your mechanic your findings.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

you can have great compression results even with scored cylinders. if you're concerred about scoring, get a boroscoped done.

edit: read the rest. glad to see a boroscope job is being done. I hate to tell you this but your symptoms sound like mine. prepare for the worst l, which is new motor/rebuild.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If it is smoking that bad it will fail SMOG on HC. That ends the dickering. They would need to fix it well enough to pass SMOG
Old 03-03-2016, 01:24 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Okay everyone. The results are in : scored cylinder number 4. Need a new engine or a rebuilt. Don't really know wht to do. I can't afford nor can I justify buying a new engine. I don't know how much is a rebuilt vs. Used engine. It's a 3.6l manual trans. Any advice?
Old 03-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Man, that sucks! Sorry to hear that. A new engine needed only owned for one week??? Any warranty where you bought the car from? With a scored cylinder, a rebuild will be at least $15k (due to $4k re-sleeving) Used engine is about $12k and it's a gamble. My reco is if you plan to keep the car for long (>5yrs), go for a rebuild and if not, just sell it as a roller and start fresh if you can trust the diagnosis 100%
Old 03-03-2016, 01:36 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Okay everyone. The results are in : scored cylinder number 4. Need a new engine or a rebuilt. Don't really know wht to do. I can't afford nor can I justify buying a new engine. I don't know how much is a rebuilt vs. Used engine. It's a 3.6l manual trans. Any advice?
The cheapest option is to replace the engine with a used engine. look on ebay, there is a member here that rebuilds them and puts them on the auction site.

Really sorry to hear this news. Its exactly my sitch. Bought dream car....realize it has a done motor.

Or I will give you 6k for it as is.

Quick Reply: White smoke with bluish hint from drivers side exhaust pipe