Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Calling Out Another Porsche Owner... Would You?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:22 PM
mick.uranko
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Out Another Porsche Owner... Would You?

One of my biggest pet peeves is when somebody is misrepresenting themselves by trying to fool someone else. I was at a car show today and saw a very nice looking 996 but something else happend that I just have to get off my chest and wanted to know hypothetically if you would have done the same thing or something different.

The car was a 2000, with rear seats, sunroof, AUTOMATIC, (I think you all can see where I'm going), with the duraflex GT3 Aerokit added to it. When I looked at the registration paper it said Model: 911 GT3!!! My heart just dropped and could only assume that this guy is telling people that this car is a GT3!? I was so mad I had to walk away.

The great thing about our cars is the look still appears to be the same. When I bought my 03 996 C2 a lot of people though it was a 2013 and when I told them it's 10 years old they were shocked. Point being that he could for the most part get away with his "GT3" car because generally speaking not a lot of people can tell the difference.

I decided to take the high road and not approach this man. However I did ask a few onlookers what model car is this... Every last on of them it's a GT3 it says it right there after my quick education session they were astonished haha and gave me are you kidding me. I felt the same way.

Just had to get this off my chest. Curious to hear if you would have called them out or if you've ever been in a situation where the other guy had no idea you were into the Porsche brand and he was feeding you a line of s&#t
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, I'm not sure most people understand what a GT3 is. If they do know what it means, they know that one isn't one.

I used to have a Lambo Countach replica that we used for marketing for the auto museum. We would take it to events and let people sit in it and get their picture taken. We had a sign that we sat next to it telling people about the car and explaining it was built on a Fiero. It was a huge hit - we'd have 30 people lined up to sit in it sometimes. It was a lot of fun.

From time to time, someone would come up and make a big deal out of it being a replica built on a Fiero. "Oh, it's just a fake!" I'd simply point out that if it were a real one, there would be no way I'd let people touch it, much less sit in it and mug for a pic, so lighten up and just enjoy.

You're correct that it's lame and stupid. But my 2 cents worth is that you just let it go and have a good time at whatever event you're at. It's not like a Stolen Valor case where they are posing as a war hero.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:45 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Calling Out Another Porsche Owner... Would You?

I'm a giant *** so I would have complimented him on his 1 of 1 996 GT3 tiptronic.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I swapped my GT3 (with track numbers on it) with a plain Carrera for a couple of days with a buddy. When mom came over for a visit, I asked if she noticed a difference about the Porsche parked outside. She was like “duh, you took the numbers off). A decade ago my last neighbor did not notice a difference when we swapped out my 325i track car with an M3 of the same chassis. Most people don’t care/can’t tell.

As for calling out the guy, I probably would’ve done the same thing, but it would’ve bothered me too! Poseur. haha
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No ... I would not say anything to the owner. It is a crazy world in which we all share space and sometimes it is best to not find out how some folks would respond.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

I would not have said a word to the owner.
I would have walked away from his car laughing my as* off.

Last edited by Alansglide; 02-22-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:09 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the guy lies about one thing - it is likely he lies about lots of things. You can be certain
that anyone who "knows" this guy know he is a liar.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:00 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

I wouldn't have given a Damn. Car guys lie all the time go look good. I'm not the jury and judge. I can see the truth and Thats enough for me. I don't need to get involved. Its not my place. If I try to put someone in their place in a hypocrite because I'm acting with just as much ego as when they were when the cooked up that lie and started pretending just to look good.

An old mentor taught me that. Through him I came to understand that its none of my business. If I try to knock down a notch someone who is pretending I'm not different. He lied to look good. I called him a liar to look better than him. Do I really need to look better than a liar if I'm not one? Why not just be an honest man instead?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

point and laugh.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:50 AM
996lee
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always gonna happen with a car like the 996 when you can easily have the Base models dressed up to look like a top of the range model
But yeah I don't think I'd of been able to resist making a sly comment lol
Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I might have said to the owner, "I know the new GT3s come with PDK, but I didn't know they offered it with a MY 99 GT3", then step back and await his response.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't give 2 ships.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 806 Posts

That kind of crap has been going on as long as special edition cars have existed. My old neighbor was really into late '60s Oldsmobile 442s. He used to attend large auctions and shop for cars reglarly. He told me that it was common for people to badge a Cutlass as a 442, because most buyers or admirers can't tell the difference.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have said "that's the nicest boxster I've ever seen". Then continued to taunt him with model specific questions. If I have enough time to wake up for a cars and coffe event, then I also have enough time to meet and talk with other P-car owners.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 806 Posts

A guy in our local PCA chapter has a MK I 996 GT3. The first time that I saw it, I asked him about it. I asked how he got one in the US, since only 1,800 were made and none were imported to the US. He quickly admitted that it was a tribute car.

Quick Reply: Calling Out Another Porsche Owner... Would You?