Sponsored by:

OT: Poll: What do you do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 10:35 AM
TX996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile For a living...

I work for a national employer services provider (Payroll, benefits,tax etc) as the Technical Services Manager (install and suppport client LAN/WAN hardware/software etc.. junk .. typical IT nerd junk with some client services mixed in)

I attended some college, did not finish
Old 12-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ad guy

Have an MBA (Master Bull**** Artist). My gig is trying to understand why people do what they do, or don't do what we would like them to do. I've been doing it for over 20 years and I still can't get it right. But if we were all completely predicatable what a boring existence that would be!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ph.D and wife an M.D. (Jobs that pay well and allow time to drive the PCar often!)
Old 12-24-2003, 01:44 PM
rrys
Advanced

BS Chemical Engineering - Work on the control systems for refineries etc. mostly draw pictures, tell stories, and play with computers. Past 8 years as an independent consultant/contractor.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:55 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Default sort of kidding

hey blustem

kidding on the job part
serious on the idol part!
keep up the good work bro!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by Trojan Man
Wow I can't believe that there are so many nerds who own Porsches. J/K, but there is an overwhelming amount of technical people who responded and relatively few doctors, lawyers, and entrepreneurs as one might have expected.

Maybe some of us just don't want to advertise. MD's have an old school philosophy about advertising being unethical. I'm old school, and my younger partners think I'm crazy .

So, just to add to the mix, I'm a surgeon. I slice and dice people for a living. Lots of fun, second only to driving the P-car!!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:13 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Smile young and dumb

Palting

I am just young and dumb!

Jason
Old 12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Red face Podiatrist- Foot Doctor

Education- USAF, then off to college BA MS DPM Been doin' feet fer 12 years now!
Old 12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by Palting
Maybe some of us just don't want to advertise. MD's have an old school philosophy about advertising being unethical. I'm old school, and my younger partners think I'm crazy .

So, just to add to the mix, I'm a surgeon. I slice and dice people for a living. Lots of fun, second only to driving the P-car!!
Paliting... I understand both of your positions. Driving my P-car is #1, holing out a wedge shot from off the green is #2, and my profession is #3.

I have 2 close MD friends and their of the same school. Very low profile verses their younger counter parts today.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:28 PM
jwt996
Advanced

Default For a living...

B.S in Psychology from Univ.Washington (Go Dawgs)
Own our family business (26 yrs now), Office Products and Office Furniture
Old 12-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default For a Living

Interesting mix of occupations.

Me:
Some college, 25 years in the point of sale industry, Sold nationwide company we built, started new company 3 years ago. Been into BMW's for quite a while with M coupes. Bought first P-car in November for 50th birthday. '03 Seal Grey Targa. Got the "mod" sickness real bad.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:00 PM
blustem
Instructor

Default sense of humor

Jason, I know you were kidding. Even if you weren't I wouldn't care.I've always been an easy target, just ask my friends. I must also assume that since you have such a nice car that you probably don't need a job. My goal with the trucking company is to keep it below 100 employees.The staffing firm was a BITCH. 8 years of hell -fighting state unemployment hikes, work comp.issues, I.R.S.,2000+ employees,lawsuits, etc... Just ranting -blustem
Old 12-25-2003, 12:08 AM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

I have to agree with the posts of MD's above...I usually don't tell people what I do.

I only mentioned it here because hopefully no-one here knows me.

If you were to meet me on the street I probably would not tell you what I did, and if I did, you probably would not believe me...I don't fit the "soap-opera stereotype". I usually look like hell after many hours of operatiing and zero sleep.

I hope I did not offend my MD colleagues...sorry if I did.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:17 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Default i can relate

i can relate to not fitting the md bill!

i am black and 33 but look like i am 23. tall and thin. i look and dress relatively urban. though i am not often hit with overt racism i am hit with the occasional "are you a professional athlete?" or once while waitng for my car to come through detail at porsche i got "one day if you work hard you could get yourself one of these!" from an older white gentleman. I laughed to myself and said "yeah maybe". i love not fitting the bill. typically it people embrace my difference...its fun!

i have to say at eh porsche dealer in phoenix they took me seiously from day one even before they ran my credit!. Chris M. and Mark S. are cool as hell!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Yackedy Sacks
Intermediate

B.S. Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
B.A. Economics - both from Univ. of California, Berkeley.

former high school valedictorian, IT consultant with a global firm, software engineer, and independent consultant.

now I'm an entrepreneur - current projects include running a home-based eBay business, investment real estate, and international trade ventures

I'm 25 and work about 15 hours/week from home. 20 years ago my entire family lived in one room of someone else's house -- true product of The American Dream right here.

Quick Reply: OT: Poll: What do you do for a living?