Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Z06 Faster that 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003 | 04:44 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

If this was such waste of time to you, why did you bother to read it and why did you bother to respond? Sorry if you felt it was not an important topic - you could have easily moved on to the next post and ignored it in that case. Nothing wrong with me wanting to learn more about the Z06 and what the car has to offer vs. Porsche to satisfy my curiosity. Sounds like you have the EGO telling me what posts are a waste of time to you..

Like I said - dont read them next time.. Enjoy the WRX!
Old 09-29-2003 | 06:36 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ADOGNY
How about the answer Steve - the 996TT is quite obviously a much more refined and better machine and is probably faster in the track. I know straight line acceleration is not the most important criteria either, I just wanted to know what the real truth is. I have heard the Z06's are very, very fast.. Figured someone here would have the performance data and not just opinions all the time.

There you go assuming that's what I was saying - If I thought the price meant more performance, then why did I buy a GT3 over a 996TT?
So if someone responsed with hard data that the Z06 was faster were you planning on rushing off and trading your GT3 in on one? Threads like this are pointless because they serve no real purpose but provide much fun when the people get bent out of shape from comments they receive questioning their justification for their cars.

As for why you bought a GT3 over a Turbo, I don't know. I bought one (well ordered at this point since I'm waiting for delivery) because I wanted a Porsche with an actual race heritage since I want a car I can drive on the track without worring about engine reliability. That doesn't mean I expect to be faster than every Turbo or Z06 I encounter, especially since both cars can be made much faster for relatively few K$. Nor do I care how well the GT3 holds its value as I'm buying it to enjoy under the "Enjoy it/get it while you can" principles. If it depreciates like my Boxster S, so what? That doesn't diminish how much fun I'll have driving it. And I plan on driving mine until my will sends it to a new home.
Old 09-29-2003 | 06:59 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Again - you can view it as pointless in your mind. All I wanted to know was how the 2 cars compare to one another in stock form. My curiosity is not pointless to me, and I fail to see what is wrong with that. Your way of doing business may be different than mine or someone elses - if resale is a factor to me and not you, so be it. I am buying the car to enjoy it as well, but no matter how you look at it, it is a rather large investment and there is nothing wrong with being concerned as to how that will perform over time as you would with any other investment. Sure it aint real estate, but after seeing what happened to all the 996 TT's dropping so hard, is this again a bad thing?? You spend your money how you want, as will I - Dont knock me about my ways if they differ from yours.

I know there is always a faster car out there.. I think we all know that. I didnt know all that much about the Z06 as I am not a Corvette fan so I posed the question looking for an answer, not criticism. I bought the GT3 because it is a special car - period. And I am very happy with my decision.. Doesnt mean I now have to close my mind and be a Porsche drone. I like to learn - as simple as that...

Thanks for the entertainment....
Old 09-29-2003 | 07:07 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by ADOGNY
Rockitman -

It certainly looks that way... But those numbers are simply what they are - numbers. We both know that in the real world, that means crap. Test a Z06 or TT or GT3 on different days (climate, etc), and get different results. We need to run them all together at the same time in order to get the real facts.

You answered your own question.
Old 09-29-2003 | 07:20 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

So anyone who has done that should feel free to comment... Thanks!
Old 09-29-2003 | 07:24 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
z06 performance data (0-60 and 1/4 mile):
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/spec...06perform.html

996TT performance data (0-60 and 1/4 mile):
http://www.flat-6.net/view.php?model...Turbo&tab=spec

google
Big surprsie, GM exagerates the numbers and Porsche underates.
Old 09-29-2003 | 07:45 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

ADOGNY: I thought you were looking for justification that the GT3 was a better choice than a Z06, my apologies. I don't think you're going to get a good answer to your question though until one of the car magazines does an updated shootout.

And you're right every person is free to have their own reasons for buying. Personally I think the GT3 is a more an emotional purchase decision than a logical one and folks buying for the latter are less likely to be satisfied with the car than the former. Not knowing you or what made you decide on the GT3 I can't place your decision but mine was definitely emotional.
Old 09-29-2003 | 08:27 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

This thread started off with some real potential and there were many smart comments that added to an intelligent discussion. It was derailed by someone and this turned into a personal battle of wits.

I see this happen all too often and it's just sad. I know, this makes me sound like a bleeding heart liberal but I'm actually quite the opposite. I just don't see why some people have to criticize other people for asking what they think are "pointless" questions.

Old 09-29-2003 | 08:29 PM
mmm208
Banned

the gt3 stock has something wrong with its low end b4 5500 rpms. I dont buy the bulloney that its meants for a track when the gt3 cup car is in fact geared much lower than a stock gt3 road car.

So why did did porsche de-tune the gt3 like it did. because it would be be faster than a TT if it didnt. Look at the porsche website 0-60 times. GT3 is 4.3 seconds, TT is 4.2 and Gt2 is 4.1.

Looks like they have a certain order going on here.

The gT3 is 400 pounds lighter than a TT,and only 35 hp shy of a TT. It should outgun it by far.
Old 09-29-2003 | 09:17 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

But it's very weak in the TQ department. I can't imagine life without at least 400/b/ft. < 300 would be boring (IMO).
Old 09-29-2003 | 09:40 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Zippy said "But it's very weak in the TQ department."

With all due respect, I think you should lay off the "BC Bud"...you make a statement like that without having any justification. If it's so weak in the torque dept... Why is it that the TT only beats it by .1 seconds according to factory specs??? I would suggest you drive one before you make a judgement like that, although I hear that there are'nt too many out there for you Canadien folks...

Last edited by rockitman; 09-29-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2003 | 11:21 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

This question has be discussed on both the Corvette and web boards many times. I have a Z06 and think Alex Stemer summed up the cars quite well. I agree with what he said. The Z06 is a better value and the TT is a better car - two desirable machines at different price points is the way I look at it.

Jim
Old 09-29-2003 | 11:26 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

I agree with Trojan Man.. Too many people rip you apart for asking questions on this board. If someone quotes something as fact that is truly wrong, then by all means correct the person so we all know what the correct information is. There is no need to lash out when you disagree with the topic - I read tons of posts on here and I do not agree with the writers. I skip them and move on to the next.

We are all Porsche owners so we obviously love and appreciate the cars for what they are. But we would not be real sports car enthusiasts if we werent at least a little curious about what the competition has to offer. I will be the first to be Porsche biased and you have seen me very GT3 over TT biased on here - but I will never close my mind and eyes to other products as a measuring stick to how these production performance cars on the track and in the real world..

Call me crazy I guess...
Old 09-29-2003 | 11:40 PM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

I wish I had a Viper, no maybe a 993, well no, maybe a 996, well no maybe a TT, no I want a GT3, no make it a GT2.........

ERRRRRRGH
Old 09-29-2003 | 11:42 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Make up your Mind already Lopez...

Quick Reply: Z06 Faster that 996TT?