Sponsored by:

Z06 Faster that 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ADOGNY

There you go assuming that's what I was saying - If I thought the price meant more performance, then why did I buy a GT3 over a 996TT?
any chance you have a yellow gt3 and you were at robert plan in bethpage last week?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:15 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Nope - Mine is Silver/Black. If there are any meet/runs on LI, I would love to participate...
Old 09-28-2003, 09:20 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Nope - Mine is Silver/Black. If there are any meet/runs on LI, I would love to participate...
It was a PCA autocross, next month we have a big 2 day autocross at tobay beach (sponsored by my shop)... come check it out!

Where on LI are you?
You should stop by the shop in huntington and give me a ride
Old 09-28-2003, 10:30 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a X50tt and have driven ZO6's on the street and on the track. The cars are nearly equal. The ZO6 cannot pull away down a straight. Handling is different since the Zo6 turns in better, but the tt comes out harder. In my opinion, there is no significant performance difference that an experienced driver can feel. The better driver will be faster in either car.
The ZO6 is a better value. THe tt is a better car.
On the street, it depends on how hard you're willing to launch your tt (I'm not willing to do drop-clutch starts in my own car) and how hard you shift. The ZO6 is easier to drag (standing start wheelspin aside), and if you're not willing to torture your own car, it will be quicker across an intersection- but so are lots of cars that don't cost much.(Like any V8 muscle car with a locker, fat rear tires, and an automatic trans).AS
Old 09-28-2003, 10:36 PM
Fanman
Instructor

Hate to magazine race but in numerous head to head tests the 911TT is either as fast or faster than the Z06 in (this is the most important part) the same test area, same drivers, same conditions in the 0-60 & 1/4 mi. On the track, the better comparison would be the GT3, but the 911TT holds it's own, despite being 400 lbs. heavier.

The $ argument is a joke. Porsche cars have always been more expensive, always will be more expensive. Usually 2X the price for a comparable model (911 vs. regular Vette, 911TT or GT3 vs. Z06). Always has been that way, probably always will be. If you wanted to buy a car based on $$$ then you won't get a Porsche. It's doesn't make sense if that is all you are thinking about. Hell, you can buy a Mustang Cobra for $34K sink $1000 in mods and beat a Z06. That argument can always be made for a cheaper, and cheaper car. Porsche owners I feel like the overall balance of the car, they can take it to the track one day, then drive down Rodeo drive the next. World class performance, and world class status symbol. The Z06 is a hell of a car, but give me a GT3 or 911TT anyday. If you can't afford it, don't get one.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:45 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Re "magazine race"- the writers routinely brutalize the launch procedure in 4 wheel drive cars. That's why the tt always shines in 0-30 and 0-60. The ordinary owner could duplicate those times, but not very many times over. Cars like the ZO6 don't suffer the driveline shock that the 4 wheel drivers must absorb. That's why in the real world, driving your own car, the ZO6 is quicker. If you blow a launch in a ZO6, it's just burning rubber. If it goes wrong in your tt, it's a flat bed truck and new drive-line components. We'd all be quicker in the tt...if it was somebody else's. AS
Old 09-28-2003, 11:33 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

AS - So what you are saying is that the Z06 is definitely faster than the Stock TT, which is what has been said and I suspected. I am surprised, but not shocked as it is a hell of a performer for the $$ as we all know. However, I am SHOCKED to hear you say that it is equal to a TT with X50 option. That I would never have guessed...

My buddy is in the car biz and I had a chance to pick up an 02 Z06 earlier this summer - I wish I had now. It was at wholesale and I could have kept the car for a year and not lost $$... Then I could really see for myself how it compares to the GT3, which I suspect would be no comparison and I would hate it. I got an 01 Vette from him, had it for 2 months and then dumped it cause it was a piece of crap. Aside from the powerplant, I cannot see the Z06 being much more of a quality ride since the extra 10K you pay for it is pretty much in the motor. He is getting an 02 TT in the next few weeks so I will get some time with that as well... I guess you are also confirming that the GT3 is the real deal as well since I was able to outrun the 425 HP Z06 - There are rumors that the GT3 will not only smoke the TT (stock and X50) on the track (same drivers), but it will also outrun the stock TT in acceleration... TT owners have argued with me before about this and of course we will all be biased to our own cars, but for $20K less how can you beat the GT3?? If they stick to what they say and only bring 750 to the States and do not make another one for another 4-5 years, this car should hold its value well and also better than the TT. Tell me if I am wrong thinking this...

DAN - I am in Merrick... Where exactly is your shop? I'll take a ride up there and introduce myself. I am not a big autocross fan and I will elaborate on that when I see you, but I plan on coming down to that to check it out as well.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

DAN - I am in Merrick... Where exactly is your shop? I'll take a ride up there and introduce myself. I am not a big autocross fan and I will elaborate on that when I see you, but I plan on coming down to that to check it out as well.
We are in huntington station, just off rt. 110, near the train station. Aside from chasing cones for half a day autocross is good fun IMHO especially since DE is such a long drive away and i dont really enjoy driving on the streets... too many stupid people trying to kill you!

Anyway sorry for hijacking your thread here!
Old 09-29-2003, 02:13 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Be a little more specific - I take 25 east to 110 and then go where?
Old 09-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Be a little more specific - I take 25 east to 110 and then go where?
Ah, i thought you just wanted a general idea.

25 east to 110 north, after you go under the railroad tracks (the trainbstation is on the right) make a left onto railroad street, we are less than a mile down railroad street on your left. #130

you will know when you get there, railroad street is small and we usually have a good number of p-cars lined up outside.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Dirk Tanner
Instructor

ADOGNY,
I know you're interested in hard numbers, but I'm gonna get all subjective here anyway.
Thank you Rennlisters for reiterating what I've been saying in my posts for months:
"0-60 times on paper don't mean s**t in the real world."
I'm not going to rev to 4K then drop the clutch in my $85K 911 just to show some kid in a Camaro who's the man.
Prior to my two 911's, I drove a Viper. While there were some cars that sprinted faster on paper, nothing could beat it on the street. Viper's are idiot-proof to launch, and don't require attempting to snap the driveline to do it.
And some cars may be faster to 50MPH, some to 70MPH.
Did I feel superior after blowing away a Porsche? No, I felt silly, partly because I knew I'd get dusted in the curves.
Someone here has the best quote I've heard, really applies here:
"Average drivers want more power, great drivers want more performance."
Sorry for ranting.
-DT
Old 09-29-2003, 10:04 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

I am not talking just 0-60, but thanks for your input. What do you drive now and how was the Viper? I have heard it is a piece of junk and all motor, true?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

My buddy is in the car biz and I had a chance to pick up an 02 Z06 earlier this summer - I wish I had now. It was at wholesale and I could have kept the car for a year and not lost $$...

Just go to Ebay and search for "Z06" - there are always at least 20-30 at GREAT prices and many of them have low low miles.

Aside from the powerplant, I cannot see the Z06 being much more of a quality ride since the extra 10K you pay for it is pretty much in the motor.
Well, if you want to get into the nitty gritties - you are paying for MUCH more than just a motor. With the Z06 package you get:

1. Better & More Powerful Engine
2. Modified Suspension designed for track use
3. Ultra-lightweight Titanium Exhaust system
4. Power Steering Cooler
5. Special Wheels w/ Goodyear SuperCar tires
6. Special badging on exterior & seats
7. Ultra-Rigid hardtop body not available on other models
8. Available Black/Red 2-tone interior not available on other models

Perhaps this is not the best argument to make in light of Fanman's ranting about price comparisons, but if Porsche put together a package like this (X50 + other goodies), it would be at least $25K - $30K! This makes the Vette Z06 package look like a bargain @ $10K if you ask me.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Dirk Tanner
Instructor

The Viper definitely was NOT a piece of junk, but it WAS unforgiving. It had exceptional grip, very quick steering, but crappy brakes. It's the kind of car you really have to stay on top of when driving it hard.

Other than the drone of the exhaust and rolling-pin tires (I had a GTS), it was surprisingly comfortable to drive, a definite conflict with what most people think. My biggest complaint was that the car is too big for a sports car. A 3/4-size Viper would be fantastic.

I drive an '03 C2 now, 6-spd, C18's, rigid susp, PSM, and a bunch of fluff. Way, way better car, much more useful, and higher all-around performance, IMO.

Still, that Viper could paste a big, cheesy grin on your face like nothing else!

Cheers,
-DT
Old 09-29-2003, 03:50 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ADOGNY, I don't drive a WRX so relax. I am a proud addict/member. Next time, do a search on faster this, faster that instead of wasting bandwidth on a post that just feeds your ego as a "GT3" owner.

Quick Reply: Z06 Faster that 996TT?