996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 water pump failure with pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 04:54 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Who is going to volunteer to retrofit an Acura water pump to a Porsche?
Old 09-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

The problem isn't impeller material as much as water pump bearings. When the bearings fail, the impellers contact the block, and shatter. The clearance between the impeller and block is often less than 2mm, so little is required in the way of bearing failure to create this scenario.

Yes, we developed a water pump that had twice the bearing strength, but it cost 725.00, and no one would buy it. We made a run and used them on our engines, until we ran out, but never took it any further. Distributors would not consider carrying it, as they could make no money off of it, and buyers didn't think it was even necessary..
Old 09-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Given the look, superb steering feel, handling, unique rear weight bias, driving dynamics, X74, practicality, etc., I'm willing to overlook those pesky parts and any design flaws
Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, my indy just dropped off my car at the office and it looks like my water pump paranoia was in fact warranted. Although, the bearing and blades are perfectly fine, there was a sign of pressure leak which allegedly makes a water pump failure imminent. Also did a full coolant flush and replaced with Porsche pink coolant. Now I also have Low Temp Thermostat. Happy camper here.

BTW: No "PPS" indication on the old genuine or the new Pierburg water pump anywhere. And they are exactly the same.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Rubik: Did you replace just the thermostat or the thermostat and housing? I was looking it up and it appears in many cases it's cheaper to purchase the thermostat and housing vs. just the thermostat. Can't make heads or tails of it.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:43 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Rubik: Did you replace just the thermostat or the thermostat and housing? I was looking it up and it appears in many cases it's cheaper to purchase the thermostat and housing vs. just the thermostat. Can't make heads or tails of it.
Replaced the whole thing. Thermostat and housing.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:10 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The problem is a flawed design technically as the belt tensioners are maintaining a constant tension and pulling the water pump to one side placing side loads. This isn't so bad in driving an alternator for example where there can be looser tolerances but when dealing with liquid sealing and tighter tolerances, it can become an issue as it wears.

If you look at some Chevy blocks, their wp is directly driven by the crank. This prevents any side loads as there is no tension on the shaft. Due to space, packaging, and other constraints, this isn't always feasible in all engines though.

OMG, I'm contributing to the typical analysis paralysis and bench re-engineering of the RL mentality here...
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Well, my indy just dropped off my car at the office and it looks like my water pump paranoia was in fact warranted. Although, the bearing and blades are perfectly fine, there was a sign of pressure leak which allegedly makes a water pump failure imminent. Also did a full coolant flush and replaced with Porsche pink coolant. Now I also have Low Temp Thermostat. Happy camper here.

BTW: No "PPS" indication on the old genuine or the new Pierburg water pump anywhere. And they are exactly the same.
How much did it all run you?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
How much did it all run you?
He also replaced the serpentine belt and oil change but I gave him the oil and filter. $900 excluding oil and filter.

He also cleaned my air mass sensor and throttle body, took care of a vacuum leak, and checked the suspension. The car is in ship shape.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
He also replaced the serpentine belt and oil change but I gave him the oil and filter. $900 excluding oil and filter.

He also cleaned my air mass sensor and throttle body, took care of a vacuum leak, and checked the suspension. The car is in ship shape.
For that price he should've at least fingered your sump.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
For that price he should've at least fingered your sump.
Is it too much? He put about 4 hours on it so I figure $100/hr labor?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:37 AM
tommy2two
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing information and special thanks to Jake Raby for his input. I live in Japan and am searching for the right 996. The 914s here are wayyyyy out of any sane person's price range Anyway, I have learned so much from all of your experiences and it has made me a more informed buyer. I have several candidates and hope to pull the trigger soon. If I can step on the soapbox for a moment, please support the shops and businesses that support this site! Their time and advice is graciously donated and the few dollars more you might spend keeps them in business and our cars on the roads.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy2two
Amazing information and special thanks to Jake Raby for his input. I live in Japan and am searching for the right 996. The 914s here are wayyyyy out of any sane person's price range Anyway, I have learned so much from all of your experiences and it has made me a more informed buyer. I have several candidates and hope to pull the trigger soon. If I can step on the soapbox for a moment, please support the shops and businesses that support this site! Their time and advice is graciously donated and the few dollars more you might spend keeps them in business and our cars on the roads.
You are quite welcome :-)

I have a black 76' 914/4. I'll happily ship it to Japan :-)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:45 AM
tommy2two
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the temptations begin! I'm sure it's fitted with a MassIVe power plant? If only the import and registration laws were more favorable. Brought my 1957 MGA here and lets just say you have never seen so much red tape
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amazing information and special thanks to Jake Raby for his input. I live in Japan and am searching for the right 996. ...
Regarding your search for a 996, if you're looking for a 99, look for a build date prior to 4/99. I was told that's when the engine problems began (that's when they began including engines that were resleeved or otherwise repaired in order to keep up with demand).

Mine is a 3/99 build, so I'm probably in good shape. We'll find out for sure when they (Flat6) pull it apart to clean it out.

...If I can step on the soapbox for a moment, please support the shops and businesses that support this site! ...
Exactly what I'm doing. More details to come in this thread, but it may be a week or two until I'm able to ship it off to them.

Quick Reply: 996 water pump failure with pics