996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 water pump failure with pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:06 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

My pleasure. Just trying to cut through the clutter of plastic vs. metal discussion to get to the source of the issue.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:32 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg1138
Thankfully, European car manufacturers, including Audi, don't use Durethan water pump impellers anymore! Starting around 2000, a new advanced material called PPS was progressively integrated into Audi water pump impeller design and now nearly all new Audis and VWs come from the factory with PPS water pump impellers."
This is the reason why I advocate to use ONLY OEM water pumps. With aftermarket, you may not be getting this updated material in the blade construction.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
This is the reason why I advocate to use ONLY OEM water pumps. With aftermarket, you may not be getting this updated material in the blade construction.
OEM or Genuine?

For instance Pierburg is OEM.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Rubik nailed it.
Show me an ad for any M96 WP with "PPS" mentioned.
I previously listed all the VW/Audi WPs that are PPS. None from Porsche.
Euro recycling laws require the plastic parts be marked with the type of plastic so "PPS" is a valid identifier.
Conclusion- until the impellers are marked PPS ,keep changing the WP every 50k ??
Old 09-24-2015, 01:54 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Rubik
OEM or Genuine?

For instance Pierburg is OEM.
That's your call/judgement and that's open to a whole another debate which has been going on for ages. I'll leave it at that. For me, I buy from Porsche on something like this. It doesn't make sense to me to save $20-$30 for something I'll probably only change out once or twice at most in my ownership.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

That's your call/judgement and that's open to a whole another debate which has been going on for ages. I'll leave it at that. For me, I buy from Porsche on something like this. It doesn't make sense to me to save $20-$30 for something I'll probably only change out once or twice at most in my ownership.
I agree with this.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF is going on - the material they use might break off and block your engine and cause it to overheat - the very thing it's supposed to not be doing.

What did they use years ago on cars?
Because then, usually, all that went wrong was the bearings in them - which you could hear with the screeching noise they made.

Is it because these things are being made cheaper and cheaper and that they do not last as long?

I would think you are better off with metal which can stand the temperature changes better.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Conclusion- until the impellers are marked PPS ,keep changing the WP every 50k ??
Well, I agree with Jake that Water Pumps are in service 24/7, so I prefer a time interval vs. mileage. Every 5 years I'd say. Jake says 3 but that's overkill IMO.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:14 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pierburg makes the Porsche part. I just changed my WP with a Pierburg and it had the Porsche number on it. Only difference I paid $180, not $350
Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by JayG
Pierburg makes the Porsche part. I just changed my WP with a Pierburg and it had the Porsche number on it. Only difference I paid $180, not $350
If it's EXACTLY the same part, I have no problems with it if I know for sure. Otherwise if I have to guess at it for something this critical, I'd rather error on the side of caution. I know just because a part manufacturer makes a certain part for a car manufacturer doesn't always mean they are indeed the same exact parts. Sometimes but not all the time.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:58 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's EXACTLY the same part, I have no problems with it if I know for sure. Otherwise if I have to guess at it for something this critical, I'd rather error on the side of caution. I know just because a part manufacturer makes a certain part for a car manufacturer doesn't always mean they are indeed the same exact parts. Sometimes but not all the time.
Well, if it has the Porsche part number stamped in it just like the factory original one that came off my car...

If it looks like a duck
walks like a duck
smells like a duck

pretty good chance it is a duck

I guess you would only buy the ignition switch from Porsche even though both the Audi and VW part are exactly the same. Which would you rather pay, $125, $70 or $30?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by JayG
Well, if it has the Porsche part number stamped in it just like the factory original one that came off my car...

If it looks like a duck
walks like a duck
smells like a duck

pretty good chance it is a duck
Sounds like a winner winner chicken dinner
Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jake,

Explain to me why Porsche water pumps are so junky? When I had my Acura at the shop for the 2nd TB change 6 months ago, I spoke to their mechanics about what fails or what doesn't if you don't do the TB service. Mechanics told me that they almost never see a WP failures, and they have seen cars that went 200k miles on the original WP and original TB with zero issues.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I like genuine parts. Less variables to worry about for DIYers. A genuine water pump is $260 from Sunset. It's a little more expensive but considering how critical the part is and how infrequent I need to change it... Targeting replacement every 5yrs. My 10yr old pump was fine when I removed it but my coolant was very fresh due to a couple of coolant changes thanks to the crappy expansion tanks. I also like to do a complete coolant flush every 4yrs.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Jake,

Explain to me why Porsche water pumps are so junky? When I had my Acura at the shop for the 2nd TB change 6 months ago, I spoke to their mechanics about what fails or what doesn't if you don't do the TB service. Mechanics told me that they almost never see a WP failures, and they have seen cars that went 200k miles on the original WP and original TB with zero issues.
German water pumps are ALL crappy (BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc.) The newer electrical WP is even worse...their electronic modules fail.

Acura's WPs use metal blades and they seldom fail like you said.

Compared to Jap, German are not good at making:
- window regulators
- door lock actuators
- water pump
- radiators
- any electronics

Quick Reply: 996 water pump failure with pics