Sponsored by:

Subwoofer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 08:32 PM
ER996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Installation

I'm going to add a sub to the system on my '03 coupe this weekend. The current system is great and was installed by Paris Audio. I tried to save money and wait on the sub, but as Paris adn everyone here said, it was only a matter of time... My main need is for clean, tight bottom for rock, jazz and hip hop when listening to music at moderate levels, which is my most common use. Rock at high volume sounds pretty good right now. Hip hop at any volume is no good right now. Jazz bass is just not there enough.

Paris is going to do the install - for those with some experience in this, could you please tell me:

1. Placement of subs - I'm considering (i) passenger footwell, (ii) under rear seats, or (iii) behind the rear seats on the shelf. I don't want to put it under the rear seats since it will use up too much space that I want to retain for my briefcase, the odd passenger, etc. Behind the rear seats seems like the choice of most here but it is the most expensive choice and it seems like you loose some rear storage space. Can anyone tell me whether there is much of a difference between placing the sub in the passenger footwell versus behind the rear seats? (putting aside the size of the speaker - see below)

2. Size of subs - I'm on a budget and cannot install a pair of 10" killers. Within my price range, the question is: one 8" or two 5"s? The large Focal woofers Paris previously installed make me lean towards the 8" sub simply because it seems like the biggest difference - but maybe it's not all about size... Paris tells me indeed that says a pair of 5"s really work great in this car.

3. Amp - I have a very good 4-channel now. I can either upgrade to a 5-channel or add a modestly priced 2-channel. Which would be better?

I know these questions are detailed and I don't want to start a flaming debate (aw heck, sure I do). There seem to be a number of people highly qualified at answering this and I'd really like to hear before I go in and spend my hard earned cash on this.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Juan
Instructor

Haven't we already been through this???
Old 09-19-2003, 02:01 PM
ER996
Advanced

You don't want to do it again?...
I thought you guys never tire of this stuff!
Old 09-19-2003, 02:31 PM
peterC4C
Instructor

ER:

I am in the process of having reus installed.. I have a cab, therefore can't comment on your choices of sub location but subs are subs anywhere in your car.

but the size of the sub really depends on your choice of music. the bigger the sub the deeper the sound. howeveer, the smaller the sub, the tighter the bass.
Amp would depend on the speakers your choosing.
I guess what I am trying to say is that everything depends on something else in your system for the system to sound right. Everything have to work in harmony to achieve the goals YOU set. Do you want your system to be heard a mile away or do you want your system to acurately reproduce MUSIC.( unlike popular believe, true music don't have to vibrate every body panel on the car) Do you want your system to be seen or hidden? Do you want your sound system to thump like a dance club or have a acurate sound stage like a concert hall(where a center channel either behind the rear view mirror or I've seen behind the air vents). these are all the things to talk about with your installer in this case Paris Audio.

Good luck on your install. maybe we can get together after both of our cars are done to hear the difference between Paris Audio and Reus Audio.

Peter
Old 09-19-2003, 06:07 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey er I did mine myself and have the plans for it etc. I made it for behind the seat with the lowest profile of any box anywhere for a 10w3d4 jl which is massive. check my link or email me I will give them to you. There are also pics.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:49 PM
BasaltBlackC4S
Track Day

I am currently installing a new system in my C4S. I'm going with two 8"JLs in a box behind the rear seats.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:49 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

I have the Paris dual-5s in the footwell. It slams, very tight response and maybe even too much bass sometimes for the car to handle (rattles and buzzes all around the car).

The only drawback is that you can blow the 5s if you're not careful. Paris will install a rotary **** to attenuate the volume, so that should help.

If you go with 8s, go with a separate amp and have them Dynamt the s**t out of everything in the car!

You're always welcome to come by the office and take a listen if you want...
Old 09-19-2003, 10:18 PM
ER996
Advanced

Thanks for the responses - I'm having Paris put in a pair of JL Audio 8" in a box behind the rear seats. I'll have a gain **** on the dash to adjust if it's too much since as you mentioned ZeeZee (which Paris also mentioned) the 5"s will hit nice and hard but can be blown if not careful. I'm also changing the amp to a JL Audio 500/5 instead of adding a second sub-dedicated amp to my current DiamondAudio one. I think this will be better and won't add more stuff in the trunk, more weight, etc. Also, kind of easier to deal with if I sell the car and want to keep the system.

Going in tomorrow - spending twice what I intended, but what the hell...

I'll let you know on Monday how it turns out.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:19 PM
VORLAND
Instructor

Thumbs up

Sean ( SPR) could you post up the dimensions of that sub box in your 996.

I like the pics in the gallery.

I would rather put int an 8 inch or 10 inch sub then a pair of 5 inch focals.

many thanks
Old 09-21-2003, 10:47 PM
SPR
Drifting

the plans should be on there no? let me see they might be on anoher site, yep sorry here you go

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/spr/

feel free to ask any questons, btw the box has internal baffles inside to give the exact vas, and it sounded/sounds very very accurate as it's selaed.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:03 PM
VORLAND
Instructor

Thanks Sean

I noticed in your drawings that some of the figures are different? Or maybe I misunderstand them

Could you please just repeat the dimensions and also what amount of baffle did u use and what material was it.

many thanks

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Installation