Sponsored by:

Mobile PPI business

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:52 PM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile PPI business

Well it's Sunday and I 'm board after detailing and driving my car around for a while. Now back at home, sitting on the couch, and got to thinking about a business opportunity. It hit me! What about a mobile PPI business. I have a pick up truck, I could carry all the tools and a lift or ramps. I could go to the seller's location, after I get a check from the buyer and perform a PPI. Spend about two hours, test driving the car, putting the car on a lift etc, taking lots of pictures, testing prodding and probing and then email the buyer a full report. I would only do within a 200 or 300 mile radius of my house. I could franchise this business too. I could also offer the seller to list their car on my PPI website as having been pre inspected as well. I don't mind driving around since I'm retired, and get to check out a lot of cool cars in the mix. Do you guys think this business would work? I would have everybody sign a hold harmless waiver to cover my butt, lol. If I could do about 5 - 10 cars a month at $350 a pop would just be a little fun money, and I would probably end up checking out some cool places that I normally would not have been to. Seems like a lot of people are needing PPI's now. Would I need a license to do this? Your thoughts.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, that's a great idea. Half the reason why people don't get ppi's is because of the logistics. I think you have a great idea there. Mobile diagnostics, ramps to check the undercarriage, heck you might as well think about doing oil changes while you are there as well. Insurance and waivers! $350 is high seeing you're overhead won't be much. $150 is the magic number.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me, if you feel that you have the skills, tools, and credentials for it.

Be sure to carry liability insurance.

As mentioned above, logistics is often a huge PITA for PPIs.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It already exists. It is called http://lemonsquad.com/

Good thinking through.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes except for the radius. 200 mile radius is 3-4 hrs each way minimum. That's a whole day there and back just for driving and then you still have to do the work. Not worth it for the de facto hourly rate. Keep it to a 50mile radius and you're (potentially) in business. Hopefully you're in a major metro area. You probably need a business license and some liability insurance for when something goes pop after you've looked at it and the buyer (or seller) blames you.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:51 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Man, that's a great idea. Half the reason why people don't get ppi's is because of the logistics. I think you have a great idea there. Mobile diagnostics, ramps to check the undercarriage, heck you might as well think about doing oil changes while you are there as well. Insurance and waivers! $350 is high seeing you're overhead won't be much. $150 is the magic number.
$350 is a very fair price...includes travel time and costs plus two hours at least on the car...then writing up the reports, etc.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:19 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Yeah, closer to the $350 number than the $150, for sure. But, that's a small thing to figure out in the scope of things.

Also, for pricing, look at the fees in the link Kalish posted. Obviously, that company uses independent contractors. Maybe see if there is a need for contractors in your area.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 AM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bernardbarbour
Well it's Sunday and I 'm board after detailing and driving my car around for a while. Now back at home, sitting on the couch, and got to thinking about a business opportunity. It hit me! What about a mobile PPI business. I have a pick up truck, I could carry all the tools and a lift or ramps. I could go to the seller's location, after I get a check from the buyer and perform a PPI. Spend about two hours, test driving the car, putting the car on a lift etc, taking lots of pictures, testing prodding and probing and then email the buyer a full report. I would only do within a 200 or 300 mile radius of my house. I could franchise this business too. I could also offer the seller to list their car on my PPI website as having been pre inspected as well. I don't mind driving around since I'm retired, and get to check out a lot of cool cars in the mix. Do you guys think this business would work? I would have everybody sign a hold harmless waiver to cover my butt, lol. If I could do about 5 - 10 cars a month at $350 a pop would just be a little fun money, and I would probably end up checking out some cool places that I normally would not have been to. Seems like a lot of people are needing PPI's now. Would I need a license to do this? Your thoughts.
Wow guys, thanks for all the positive comments, information and suggestions, I appreciate it. Now off to make a few modifications to the plan, gather info and put somethings in motion. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think people on the 996 board are paranoid and get ppis - due to potential for very expensive problems with these cars - but to be honest - even ppi may not find ims about to explode ...

Most buyers of regular cars have no idea of what ppi is or even get one. And while $350 May not scare off porsche buyer - it would your average Honda accord buyer. And for other exoitcs - Id want someone with lots of experience with the marque looking at it. More buyers would rely on carfax if anything- which is much less expensive. So while the idea sounds cool - I'm not sure how many takers there would really be - unless you have lots of rennlisters in your neighborhood ...
Old 07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Are you doing porsches only? Do you have the expertise for other brands. I can't say I'd want a guy familiar with porsches checking out my potential ferrari.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by targa996
I think people on the 996 board are paranoid and get ppis - due to potential for very expensive problems with these cars - but to be honest - even ppi may not find ims about to explode ...

That's it, and it won't find the condition of the clutch. Maybe if a test drive brought up some concerns I'd get a ppi, but in that case I'd also pass on the car if the price wasn't right.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:27 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, I paid $149 for my PPI at the dealer which included hooking up the diagnostic computer.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

5-10 cars a month? Are you talking about any car or just 996?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this should be a multi-member operation so you can cover a larger radius without having to spend the whole day getting there. Start off with a small radius, but low entry cost, then grow the business by adding more mobile inspections to increase radius. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eBay already has something like this.

Your focus should be how to source customers. Either work with use car dealers, an associated business used for selling used car such as carfax, escrow, credit union or repair shop. Sourcing business via ads yourself can be quite challenging.

In some countries, this is marketed as a diamond certification.

Quick Reply: Mobile PPI business