996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why is break-in in units of miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:37 PM
petert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is break-in in units of miles?

Why is the break-in period in units of miles? i.e. why would the engine care if it was 100 miles at 3000 RPM in 1st gear vs 1000 miles at 3000 RPM in 6th gear? (not sure that math is right, but hopefully it illustrates the question) I guess load on the engine could be a factor, but hills, etc. place as much load as wind resistance, right? (i.e. you could get the same load driving uphill in 1st vs flat in 6th?) Shouldn't break-in be in units of "hours"?

The reason I ask - I just don't feel like getting a sore butt and dozing off for nothing driving up and down Highway 5 for 15 hours in the GT3, if I can get the same result piddling around some fun roads with corners, etc.

I did read several posts that say an extended break in is not really necessary, but I'd rather do it at least in the spirit of what the manual says.

Thanks,

Pete.
Old 08-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

First and foremost, you should not exceed 4000 RPM for at least 1,000 miles. The manual I think says longer, and some people do it shorter, but I think 1,000 is just right.

Second, you should not go on extended trips for the first 1,000 miles as well. The engine speed needs to be varied up and down - setting cruise control at 75 for 5 hours is the absolute wrong way to break in a car.

Finally, the manual does not call for it, but many people on the board recommend changing the engine oil after break in to get any residual contaminants out.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure why we have any break in period at all. A friend in the auto industry told me that every porsche is "hot tested" at the factory. Basically every car off the line is taken to the company track and driven hard. Why then does the manual tell us to go easy!??

My mercedes service rep tells me that the engines are capable of running long and hard right out of the box, but it's the rest of the drivetrain & brakes, tires, suspension, etc... that need to be broken in.

Old 08-30-2003, 05:43 PM
petert
Instructor

>> should not exceed 4000 RPM for at least 1,000 miles. The manual I think says longer

Manual says 1800 for TT but only 1000 for GT3... but same question, why is it specified in units of miles instead of hours?
Old 08-30-2003, 06:13 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You are not just breaking in the engine, you're breaking in the drivetrain, suspension etc.etc., so mileage is a factor as well as engine hours.

And I AM an advocate of earlier than book for the first oil change because I had some metal in my oil beyone normal at 1500, and I didn't want that combo thru the engine. I changed again at 3K and the metal content was cut in half. I'm now on every 3K, with 9k on the clock.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:14 PM
BayArea Jimmy
Track Day

Yeah. I have hour meters for engines in my boats and airplane. It's quantitatively easier to go with milage on cars in the absence of an hour meter.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:19 PM
LSM
Racer

Breaking in the car on the highway is fine. You simply have to vary engine speed. I.E. travel at 70 mph for 5 hours and evry say 15 minutes shift between 4th, 5th and 6th thus varying engine speed. You can also go say 55 for 15 min, 70 for 15 min, etc in the same gear and you will acomplish the saqme thing. The manual for the turbo, c4s, and c2 says two thousand mile breakin. Interestingly, the turbo manual actual says to take longer trips and vary rpm's. Hopw that helps.

-Lou
Old 08-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, Petert. Just run the engine 3 million revolutions; but not all at once, not at high rpm, and remember to vary rpm.

How about burnishing in rotors/pads for street by driving 200 miles?
Old 08-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Great question,....

As others have mentioned, the break-in period not only permits the rings to seat, but it allows all of the drive train parts to become accustomed to each other; transmission gears and ring & pinions are just a few.

The engine is considered broken-in when oil consumption stabilizes and the rings are sealing at their best. The oil control rings will have burnished themselves for best oil control, as well. An oil & filter change is highly recommended in ANY new engine after 1000 miles to flush out metallic debris left over from manufacture and machining operations on a production basis.

Proper engine break-in procedures include varying one's speeds as much as possible. This helps the compression rings to burnish their edges against the cylinder walls under acceleration, and then cooling themselves off when you slow down again.
When running in a new engine, all I do is accelerate the car in 4th to 5th gear from 2000 to 4000 RPM at WOT, then back off again to cruise RPM several times during a trip, and increasing the upper RPM as I put more miles on the car.

Sometimes the rings and Nikasil-lined cylinders can take awhile to seat when people are not diligent about varying their speeds during this period, but all this will do is delay peak performance,.....

Porsche A.G. does run each and every engine on the dyno to make sure that each one makes rated power
(at least) and no oil leaks are present. Proper ring seating takes longer than those initial dyno runs.

Hope this helps,
Old 08-30-2003, 10:28 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve,

Do you think improper engine break-in is the reason for many of the premature 996 engine replacements/oil leakage with 20K miles or less ? Or was it because of some some bad luck with some motors. Suspect this is not a black or white answer, especially since improper break-in may not show until over 20K miles or so.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Mo:

Offhand, from what I've seen and read, I do not think break-in has anything to do with the 996 engine problems.

Porsche of course, doesn't acknowledge anything whatsoever but I think its a production QC issue in the manufacture and final machining of certain parts. How anyone treats their engine seems to be unrelated to any of of these problems.

The good part is that traditionally, their products gets better & better as they refine their manufacturing processes and tweak the designs. I'm hoping for the same thing here,......
Old 08-31-2003, 05:25 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I understand the points made but wonder why the same doesn't apply to race cars (including endurance racers). Once a race engine comes off the dyno, there is no further break-in. In race cars, lots of the driveline stuff is new at each race or the beginning of a season (or for that matter when the car is new) and there is no break-in. In my Lotus Elise 190 R, the break-in rec from the factory was 300 miles, change out the mineral-base oil, put in synthetic, and go. Does Porsche break-in the driving experience cars? Certainly, most of the magazine test cars aren't broken-in, and in the extended tests, performance at 40,000 miles is generally the same as when new. I wonder if it isn't more a remnant of history and isn't objectively or scientifically studied. Certainly, it means that the warranty covers a couple thousand very easy miles. If one wanted to be very picky (and I don't), one could assert that since the car isn't ready for full use, the warranty should start after the break-in. AS
Old 08-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Regarding break-in for race cars...

You want the engine in your street car to last a lot longer than a race engine. Race engines are intended to have fairly limited lifespans measured in hours. I remember listening to Jim Busby talk at the 1988 Porsche Parade about why they didn't have Porsche re-build the engines in the 962 his team ran in IMSA. Something to the effect that Porsche built their engines to run 24 hours and since most races were 3 hours or less you could get more power by sacrificing longevity.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:11 AM
umn
Instructor

Originally posted by DonW-Cape Cod
You are not just breaking in the engine, you're breaking in the drivetrain, suspension etc.etc., so mileage is a factor as well as engine hours.
Hi Don,

spot on. The main break-in in the first 1000mls occurs in the drivetrain (gearbox, diff). Basically, gearbox and diff oils contain an EP-Additive called Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZnDDP), an anti-wear additive that forms a polymerised network of zinc, iron, sulphur and phosphate on the surface of gears and helps protect the metal should actual metal-to-metal contact occur.

This ZnDDP layer takes a while to build up, and that's why you should take it easier during break-in. There are primary and secondary ZnDDPs, and whilst secondary ZnDDPs only need quite low temperatures to get activated, the activation temperature for primary ZnDDPs is quite high. Which is the reason why break-in should occur at varying temperatures.

Obviously, the piston rings also require some breaking-in, but that's an ongoing process that is not confined to the first 1000mls.

Cheers,
Uwe

Last edited by umn; 09-01-2003 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Why is break-in in units of miles?