Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Separator

For those of you with 996s, have you had problems with your oil separator? If so, what were the symptoms and what did Porsche do about it?

A friend of mine has 1999, recently off warranty, diagnosed with a bad oil separator. The dealer fixed it [for > $1K], and claims it's an uncommon failure. Other "intel" indicates that there was a known problem with the separator which resulted in an updated part being introduced during 2000, so we're naturally doubting the veracity of the dealer. I've found no evidence of a TSB on the subject, but we're wondering if there is any recourse with Porsche.

If any of you have had experience with this particular issue, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

thanks,

hald@charter.net
Old 04-03-2003, 10:58 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are correct that there does not seem to be any TSBs on the oil separator.

My parts list does not show any (part number) change for the oil separator. 996 107 080 054 is the part number that has been used since 1998 and is still used. Two are used on each engine.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Actually, there are three parts that PET calls oil separators. Loren, I think the two you are refering to are located in the bottom of the engine case and are internal. I think the purpose is to keep the engine oil from foaming.

The third oil separator and the one that causes most of the problems is a plastic part that sits on top of the engine on the driver side. It has a couple of breather hoses that run from the valve covers. I believe this is a recovery system that is part of the emissions system. In any case this part often cracks, which causes a vacuum leak. The DME will try and compensate by richening the mixture but if there is a big leak, it can't and will result in a check engine light coming on. The DME will go into limp mode and the car will be noticably down on power.

I had mine replaced twice under warranty and my dealer told me it was a common problem for 996's.

Since a bad oil separator does affect emissions, I'd suggest your friend push to have it fixed under the emissions warranty which, by law, runs longer than the standard warranty.

Karl
Old 04-03-2003, 08:25 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like basically a pcv valve.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I think you're right, it's part of the crankcase ventilation system. The part number is 996.107.023.54

Karl
Old 04-04-2003, 02:25 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, Karl you are right. Three different listings with the same description. Other than the change for the 3.6 liter engine there have not been any changes.
You are the only one I know (besides Mark) that has had this done. Was your MY99 and early build?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

No, my car was a Jan 99 build. I hadn't heard of it as a problem before either, but my dealer told me that it is a common problem on 996's.

Karl
Old 04-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Mark Hald
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Thanks, guys - great information!

I've passed it along to my friend with the '99 996. He's had the dealer fix the problem, and collected the part to show me. I asked which of the "separators" they changed & he indicated it was the emissions one. I'm not sure how/if he'll pursue the suggestion about the longer warranty for emission-control parts. I'll be sure to let you know.

regards,
Old 08-31-2003, 11:15 AM
Philip9
Advanced

Question Will This cause the oil to Leak?

I was doing a DE last weekend and it was 103 degrees and my oil started to leak. Someone said it could be this plastic valve.

If this is cracked does it cause oil to leak or just a vacuum leak?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

I didn't have any oil leak from mine but it might depend on where the crack occurs. It works sort of like a PCV value, so it's plumbed into the heads and recirculates the gases and traps any oil in the gas. So it could cause an oil leak if the canister itself is cracked. It is located on the driver's side rear of the engine, close to the transmission. The vacuum leak will throw a Check Engine Light, so if you didn't get a CEL, the oil leak is probably from something else.

Karl
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Philip9
Advanced

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Oil Separator