996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

R U ashamed to own a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KrazyK, I could be more than just happy driving mine forever and never using it for a stepping stone to anything. I can have anything I want and there are plenty of cars that I like but this is one of them and whats unbelievable its probably the one that costs the least. I don't know how you can think it's PLAGED WITH UNIQUE ISSUES as its few perceived problems can be addressed easy enough if desired.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:48 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
You don't get it do you? Some treat 996's from one end of the spectrum to the other. Some are regarded as garage queen show cars, others as $3000 rollers. If that's not a contradiction, I don't know what is. Thought even you would have got that.
Hey, I didn't express an opinion on your the merits of your statement one way or the other. Frankly I think it's hilarious when you poke a stick in the beehive just to stir things up around here. Your troll thread on the 944 forum from a couple of years ago was epic and is probably one of the top 5 best threads ever on Rennlist (monkey vs bear being #1). Hurdi lobbed you a softball and I'd be disappointed with you if you let it pass. Hey, you already got one to bite.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I love mine is my first Porsche and is a 911, unfortunately our forum is plagued with Trolls, people who owned in the past and still here, if you have a bad relation for x reason please, get out, move on with your life, also lately we have a lot of lurkers asking should I buy it? not? this cars are cheap, waiting to get one with all maintenance records, IMS upgrade by Flat 6 innovations and pay $13000.

I lost count, on how many cars I owned, some cars were such a horrible experience and I don't live in those forums, bitching and complaining about them, it was my personal experience, I didn't like them, I sold them, end of the story.

Going back to the 996, smooth lines, unique headlights (like DDD breast either you like it or not), I don't have to give my first born to pay for maintenance, I can pack 4 people on it, fast, stable, luxurious, with a ridiculous price, what else do you want????
Old 01-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread is just chum for the trolls
Old 01-11-2015, 08:44 PM
oil_chiller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seeeu911
This thread is just chum for the trolls
Yes
Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Soaringman
Racer

R U ashamed to own a 996?
Yes, absolutely, Tha'ts why i usually only drive at night when its dark, so i can't be seen.
When i am forced to drive in day light i have a couple mild disguises I use
I also hide the 996 in the garage so neighbors and passersby-ers cant see it.-
Old 01-11-2015, 08:53 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Your troll thread on the 944 forum from a couple of years ago was epic and is probably one of the top 5 best threads ever on Rennlist
Though not intended as a troll post, I agree it did become very hilarious.

I don't know how you can think it's PLAGED WITH UNIQUE ISSUES
Im certainly not the only one to think this. The issues are indeed unique to the NA M96. There are pros and cons with the 996. That's why I said the "best" I have owned.

unfortunately our forum is plagued with Trolls,
So any comment that is truthful but a negative about the 996 implicates "troll"? That would make JR the biggest "troll" on the forum. I don't live with my head stuck in the sand. Maybe you should try being a realist.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 PM
phlporsche
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 996 and don't really car what anyone else thinks. I don't see the fuss over the headlights or whatever else makes the 996 looks such a hot topic. I sold my 84 Carrera for my 996 and haven't looked back. Both look great and both looked have the unmistakable look of a 911 but I can drive my 996 every day into work without worrying about potentially breaking down or overheating in summer traffic.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

I just tinted my windows very dark, make sure I go faster than traffic so they can't get a good look inside, and park at the far end of the parking lot to avoid the shame...

Seriously, who thinks about this crap? Except for PCA and forum members, most people couldn't tell you what decade a 911 they might see is from.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I love both my 996 and my 986 and am proud to drive either one
Every time I get in one of them I smile
Attached Images   
Old 01-11-2015, 09:26 PM
DrBrain
Instructor

Life is about creating memorable moments you remember and your family will remember you by. So far my plain Jane 996 C2 cab has created many good memories. Every time I put my 2 and 11 year old daughters to drive them to school they have a big grin on their faces, especially with the top down. Every time I start the engine they make wrooooom wroooom sounds and smile. Same when I pick them up. They rather drive in my old, cramped, plagued, undervalued, harsh riding car than in moms new Audi S6 which is a wonderful car, too, but less memorable. Years from now they will look at our old pics and will grin again, remembering those trips to school and daycare. The 996 is for me and my kids a memory-maker, and that tops it's all other qualities.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
RedTele
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Pure badassery

'99 C4. I love this car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2015, 10:29 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Anyone who feels "shame" over driving ANY car has some serious emotional problems - no less a Porsche 911 (uh yeah, it's a 911- Carrera - most people don't even know hat a "996" is). as for this...
"The 996 is one of the best cars I have ever owned and one of the worst. It truly is an automotive enigma. Great to drive, clean, and pamper yet plagued with some really unique issues. Not putting down the model at all. I truly enjoyed taking care of it more than driving it. I think its most important contribution to the 911's is it eventually causes one to move on to a TT or 997. A "driving contradiction" of sorts (thank you Kris Kristofferson) that will always be a step child or stepping stone. "

You sir are a Moron with a capital M...sorry I couldn;t help myself - PC be damned. It's a car for f*#Cks sake! Jeeeeezzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-12-2015, 02:48 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I went looking for my third Porsche I originally searched for one I had owned before...a 964 or 993. I had never taken the time to research a 996. And then I saw one and just to say I had driven one I took it for a spin. The car completely won me over and I drove it home two hours later.

I love the headlights, they are works of art in themselves. I love the interior...in is clean and functional. I love the new dash...I think it is well organized and...very Porsche. I love the steering wheel because it isn't cluttered up with X-box-like controls. And I love the little bit extra interior room...it make four people going out for dinner a genuine reality.

And ofcourse I love driving it. When that engine comes to life in the echo chamber of my condo garage it has a great throaty cackle. The steering is perfectly weighted for my taste. I was thrilled that my car came with its original 17" wheels...again, my taste. Of course it is much more car than can be fully used on most public roads...but even the simplest twist of tarmac in this car makes me smile.

I am aware of the virtues of the cars that came before and after...however I know I would not be as happy as I am every time I drop down into the seat of my 996. It not only has the things I want, it also doesn't have the things I don't want.

Low production numbers is not what makes a collectible classic...only a great driver can ever become one. That is why I rank the 996 as a car that will only increase in stature...no matter what the transitory market price.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I am so ashamed of my car I put it away for the winter.

Quick Reply: R U ashamed to own a 996?