Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Leather Seat Repair Using Leatherworld...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 PM
djlarz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologize for reviving an old thread, but I have the same wear in my Savannah beige DD. Just curious as to how it’s holding up and is this still the best kit or is there another to purchase that may have a closer color match (although admittedly pics usually don’t show the true look) thanks!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:23 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by djlarz
Apologize for reviving an old thread, but I have the same wear in my Savannah beige DD. Just curious as to how it’s holding up and is this still the best kit or is there another to purchase that may have a closer color match (although admittedly pics usually don’t show the true look) thanks!
Wow, this is certainly a blast from the past. It’s holding up extremely well, 4 years on. The color actually matches perfectly - it just takes a little time to age (probably not more than a few months). I’d take some photos for you, but the car is away in the North Georgia mountains getting its engine refreshed...
Old 01-06-2019, 09:37 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't know about LeatherWorld, but don't use Leather Magic. Their colors are slightly off and they use a semi-gloss paint.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:33 PM
djlarz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto

Wow, this is certainly a blast from the past. It’s holding up extremely well, 4 years on. The color actually matches perfectly - it just takes a little time to age (probably not more than a few months). I’d take some photos for you, but the car is away in the North Georgia mountains getting its engine refreshed...
No worries, thanks for the response! That’s great news, hopefully my skills buy me 4 more years. Look forward to refinishing them early spring.

islaTurbine, thanks for the tip!
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Amazing job! It looks great!
Old 01-08-2019, 11:11 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
I'm very happy with the color match, although it's not perfect, it's very close (I didn't expect a 100% match with 15 year old leather seats). The biggest difference is that the new color is is flat, while the old finish has a sheen to it. Leather-world does make a "medium-sheen" finish so I'll probably get some of that and apply it later, if the existing stuff doesn't "buff up"
Looks great. If you steam the seats first, it will remove the sheen and dirt from the old finish and the new leather dye will likely be "dead nuts" accurate. Those dyes are mixed to factory spec, so they will match once the leather has been fully cleaned. There was a thread about steaming seats a while ago, I'll post it if I can find it.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:33 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Here is the thread about steaming the leather -> https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...re-filthy.html

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Repair Using Leatherworld...