996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine Failure - Possible IMS failure on '03 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummn, Maybe you can answer my questions, since obviously you are reading my statements?

The 6 months is for REPAIRS to engines. The February 2016 dates are for reconstructions, and yes I have "tagged the line" for reconstructions until we get back to a 10 month backlog. I sold two months worth of engines in the first two weeks of this year alone, and several of those are 9a1 platform projects.

We are being childish here. You don't like me, I don't like you. You engage the ignore function of this forum and so will I. We don't share customers and we don't share thoughts, and yes, everything that I do is complicated.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:51 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 446 Likes on 288 Posts

Yowza!!!!!

Lost track of this thread whilst I was dealing with my own motor failure issues. The discourse between JR and mbmotosp is very interesting. Probably should have it's own thread that we can follow over time, as each has made statements about things that will occur during this coming year. It would be fascinating to see how things play out.

Jake, the shippers pick up my blown engine on Wed. (Feb. 4th), so you should have it in time for Valentine's Day.
(I usually just send flowers)

If you recall, I had the LN IMSB installed. There are quite a few comments earlier in this thread about the importance of the quality of the install. The mechanic that I used is very experienced with these motors, but still.... I am now wondering if maybe an incorrect install caused the chain to skip, breaking the case.

Do you think you will be able to determine if it was a bad install of the LN IMSB?

I know your shop is jammed with projects. Any idea how long until we can expect an autopsy result?

mbmotosp stated that he has available rebuilt low mileage engines with warranties. Wish I had known about that before. I think the engine I bought should be a good one, but zero warranty.

Andrew, your thought processes are very parallel to what I went through with my motor failure. No absolute right or wrong decision. As Jake said earlier in this thread, a lot of it boils down to how much we love our cars. And, as you stated, we all have to keep the proper perspective. Yeah, it was (is) a huge financial hit to replace my motor. But, at least I ain't living in some crap hole like Afghanistan, begging my neighbor for a scoop of dried camel dung to heat my house (or whatever else they do with camel dung over there).
Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 AM
Dripola
Advanced

Martin how long before you open up shop in Australia?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Cuda,
Yours will be an interesting teardown. While we are slammed, we will get the engine apart the same week that it arrives. This is one that I will disassemble personally, for research/ documentation purposes.

Sometimes failures are so radical that we can't tell what happened first, other times its very clear.

We never have warranty claims, so I contemplated a 3 year 36K warranty. The issue with that is the program is too appealing to the people who only shop for warranty.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should do the 3 year warranty, ESPECIALLY since you get so few claims. From my reading, Raby engines are more expensive than others' for a reason. You'd sell even more engines because of the warranty ( that you wouldn't see back in the shop ). I'm missing your downside.
You may not "respect" people who shop for warranty, but if they pay a premium for a warranty they'll never use, you win.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If you never have warranty claims but you are always swamped, why change something that works so well for you?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:11 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Cuda,
Yours will be an interesting teardown. While we are slammed, we will get the engine apart the same week that it arrives. This is one that I will disassemble personally, for research/ documentation purposes.

Sometimes failures are so radical that we can't tell what happened first, other times its very clear.

We never have warranty claims, so I contemplated a 3 year 36K warranty. The issue with that is the program is too appealing to the people who only shop for warranty.
Jake,
How about saving it for class?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltusler
Jake,
How about saving it for class?
Lon, I would, but I need the crankshaft and carrier from it in a very bad way.

If you never have warranty claims but you are always swamped, why change something that works so well for you?
Thats exactly why I haven't done it. At the same time, since things don't break that we build, then I'd probably force others to increase their warranties, because they think they are our competitors.

If I do that, and they have failures, well, it wouldn't take long for them to eliminate themselves. The difference is I have had the same company name since he beginning, with them, they just change names, and off they go again.

Its kind of like knowing a potential buyer is a lawsuit happy kind of guy, and you refer him to a competitor. Its a double positive. I do that a lot. Its been fairly effective, too.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 446 Likes on 288 Posts

Cuda,

OK, sounds good. I'm thinking this should be an obvious one. The engine will turn over when manually cranked, so it seems to me that the only damage is the area of the chain impact to the case. Also, I didn't pull the oil filter. I assume you will do that and take a look at the pleats.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

.....Thats exactly why I haven't done it. At the same time, since things don't break that we build, then I'd probably force others to increase their warranties, because they think they are our competitors.

If I do that, and they have failures, well, it wouldn't take long for them to eliminate themselves. The difference is I have had the same company name since he beginning, with them, they just change names, and off they go again.

Its kind of like knowing a potential buyer is a lawsuit happy kind of guy, and you refer him to a competitor. Its a double positive. I do that a lot. Its been fairly effective, too.
World Domination!!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Butter? Who has the butter?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Competition is always good for consumers. I dream of a day that the M96 engines can be rebuilt by many shops with quality and reasonable price.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
kab1994
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a warranty. The fact that someone would lose respect for another person because they want a warranty is asinine and pretentious. And I'm from Newport Beach!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imo000
If Jake Raby/Flat 6 Innovations doesn't, he could lose to the competition who does. I'm sure we've all heard the business catchphrase "change or die" . . .

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Competition is always good for consumers. I dream of a day that the M96 engines can be rebuilt by many shops with quality and reasonable price.
I agree with both statements. I'll take it one step further and say that I am looking forward to the day when we can get quality inexpensive aftermarket engine components which would allow us to easily build them ourselves. The market is certainly there.

I'm not going to pick sides in this fight between Jake Raby and mbmotosp because I don't have a side. But I do agree with mbmotosp's perspective on this when he essentially said there isn't any magic. It's just a car engine.

b-man
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mbmotosp
Cuda,
The hole in your block was big enough to insert a screwdriver and see if the chain is loose. Removing one of the green cam shaft plugs would've been even easier. Then turning the engine, you would be able to see if the cam shaft turns, and you would know if the chain is broken. If it broke, then it was the cause of engine failure.
You can check the shaft the same way, if it's loose then it's the IMS fault.
Sending your engine to a person who is not objective in this situation will not give you a peace of mind. My bet is he will say it's the installer's fault, as usual.
If he was so busy with rebuilding his engines, he would not have time to disassemble your motor. He needs the crank shaft asap as he stated...
If he's charging so much for his rebuilds and claims he spends 12k in parts alone, why does he purchase cores and used ebay parts all the time? Why not purchase a new crank shaft from dealer while still charging like for new part? Same with LN resleeving which supposedly costs him 5k. His price is no more than 2k, like ours (done in Europe). I still offer lower price to my customers for resleeving, and he doesn't.
I use used crank shafts, but my prices are half the cost of Raby's rebuild. Besides, I have bunch of cores here, and get my parts from Europe which are much cheaper there. That's why my prices are so competitive. He can only charge double for his engines, which are still not worth half the cost.
Mr. Raby mentioned we do not share customers. It's part true, I don't share my clients with him, but his customers come to me after hearing his prices and time frames.
So far I had zero claims, having rebuilt 100's of Porsche motors. All my clients are still driving and happy. Based on that, I could also give longer warranty for additional charge. So far, reasonable warranty time for my rebuilds is 6 months, for the price my customers pay. It makes sense for both sides.
If someone would want to spend 25k in my shop I'd be obliged to give him 3 year warranty for my rebuild.
Why are you giving Jake a hard time? Does not seem professional to me.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - Possible IMS failure on '03 996