Sponsored by:

Koni Adjustable Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 PM
TomInNeedham
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Adjustable Shocks

OK, I've read the various threads on suspension recommendations...lots of choices. I've what I think is a pretty easy question and welcome opinions.

I have a 1999 996 C2...had it since March. One of my winter projects is to fix the front suspension...which currently has the original factory bilsteins, the rears were new OEM stock shocks in December 2014 prior to my purchase. I can readily refurbish them for $75 each.

The plan this year is to track the car about 4-6 times this year...had 4 days at the track last year and the car is ridiculously fast and balanced. Mind you I'm just a "yellow" driver at this point, so no need to go crazy on suspension upgrades. So---the refurbish option is cheap and easy. I'll surely do that anyway even if I replace per below.

Koni Sports (yellow) adjustable shocks (8741 front 8241 rear), however look very interesting. $1,200 all in from what I can see...easy to adjust it seems, sound interesting from threads, and install is "as is" compatible from what I gather.

What do any of you think of that option?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by TomInNeedham; 12-15-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wording clarity
Old 12-15-2014, 06:37 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I love Koni yellow shocks for off the shelf solution. Never had them on my 996 but quite a few sets on previous cars. You may want to look into the new Koni kit that comes with matched springs if you want a bit lowering and more planted high speed feel as well.

BTW, the factory shocks are not rebuildable by Bilstein. It's already been confirmed.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:11 PM
TomInNeedham
Advanced

"BTW, the factory shocks are not rebuildable by Bilstein. It's already been confirmed."

Hmmm...I called Bilstein today, gave them my car type etc and asked the question. So, can you refurbish my shocks and how long will it take? Tech rep said 4-6 weeks. Sounds like a generic reply if I read your note right.

Tom
Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read and contacted some orhers with the koni
set up. I like the koni and h&r kit. Prices seem to be between 1200-1400
Ive purchased alot from Paragon in the past. They have the kit but its out of
Stock at the moment.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:31 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by TomInNeedham
"BTW, the factory shocks are not rebuildable by Bilstein. It's already been confirmed."

Hmmm...I called Bilstein today, gave them my car type etc and asked the question. So, can you refurbish my shocks and how long will it take? Tech rep said 4-6 weeks. Sounds like a generic reply if I read your note right.

Tom
Hmmm, are you sure the rep understood you correctly? Last time I called them, they verified it was for only aftermarket Bilsteins having "OE" fitment or a coilover like the GT3 factory coilover dampers.

Their page even says "aftermarket": http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...rvice/service/

But if you can get them to do your stock shocks for $75, let me know so I can have them do my old set.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:24 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been happy with my konis and US m030. The fitment is excellent and adjustability is easy- ***** on front and rear so they can be adjusted while installed. The rears have enough damping to make the car dangerous. Especially on track, be careful using the last turn of stiffness. I run .5 to .75 of a turn off stiff for autocross, where I want the car loose and darty.

If you have access to a shock dyno, it's nice to test them before install. They usually aren't consistent and if you know what the adjustment curve looks like, you can set accordingly to get even damping.

The comfort is good on full soft.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM
TomInNeedham
Advanced

Thanks all--this is exactly what I needed. Alpine, I suspect the Bilstein tech and I were talking past each other. I asked about the shocks on my car--he probably presumed aftermarket. I see what you're saying and I'll ask but expect a "no."

Good stuff on the Konis--the rebuilds would just sit in the garage while I put the new Konis on anyway.

Boy, a shock dyno is an expensive piece of gear!! Don't these things come calibrated? I'll guess I can ask Koni about that and check around. That sounds useful and good advice.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Koni 1140-5131 kit for the coupe is currently available:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Sear...x=0&Search.y=0

The 1140-5132 kit for the Targa and Cab is the one currently on backorder but I'm showing stock should be available within a few days:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni...-1140-5132.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 12-16-2014, 03:55 PM
TomInNeedham
Advanced

Jason--sent you an email.

What tool do you guys use to compress the springs for shock removal and this sort of work? Are they specific to Porsche or any one will do?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I use this set and they work well and are made in USA. I wouldn't trust any low quality ones.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-strut...p-00947057000P
Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by TomInNeedham
Jason--sent you an email.

What tool do you guys use to compress the springs for shock removal and this sort of work? Are they specific to Porsche or any one will do?
I bought this one awhile ago as I knew I'd be changing out a lot of suspension on all my future cars. They used to sell it at Harbor Freight but no longer carry it there.

It was a budget compromise against the professional version:

However, and this might generate a lot of controversy so do what makes YOU comfortable, the last few suspension sets, I didn't use a spring compressor. Call it stupid or whatever you deemed fit but I just used my impact gun to zip off the top nut and have the spring shoot out into a piece of plywood or into the lawn. Never really shot out more than a few feet. Installation was always with lowering springs which were shorter and could be compressed enough with your body weight to screw on the top nut.

Quick Reply: Koni Adjustable Shocks