996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Snow, c2 996 = fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slow in, gentle throttle is what gets the 911 home in the snow or rain. Cowboys and no ESP flyers do this.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:14 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Back when I used to live in Minnesota, my friend had a Boxster, his only car, and he drove the car year round. He said he loved driving it in snow (with snow tires of course) because it was more fun. This guy was from Sweden and was in the Swedish army before moving to the US and man... he could drive in any weather! Wish I had a video of him driving, but this was before the digital cameras.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:52 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Slow in, gentle throttle is what gets the 911 home in the snow or rain. Cowboys and no ESP flyers do this.

2 Porsche CRASH Nordschleife Nürburgring 10.08.2014 Touristenfahrten - YouTube
That video is just more proof to me that the 911 loves to travel **** end first at the first opportunity. Keep driving you snow drivers, in winter or summer tires. the rear engine 911 get to a point of no recovery, very quickly. I hope no one comes back to see me type. "Well I told you so".
Old 11-22-2014, 02:05 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Yeah, it's freaky - in that video it's almost as if that 1988 model didn't have its PSM on. Seeing that car that is 3 generations older than a 996 spin out is definitely proof positive! Thanks Kalashnikov for pulling out that super relevant clip to prove Hurdi's point.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:40 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Here's some more video to chew on - proof that no vehicle ever made is ever safe to drive in winter. This winter, we should all just stay home folks.
http://icyroadsafety.com/video.shtml
Old 11-22-2014, 03:16 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Yeah, it's freaky - in that video it's almost as if that 1988 model didn't have its PSM on. Seeing that car that is 3 generations older than a 996 spin out is definitely proof positive! Thanks Kalashnikov for pulling out that super relevant clip to prove Hurdi's point.
Weight distribution didn't change much from 993 to 996. The chassis dynamic remains the same with engine being in the back. PSM is a great feature and saved me a few times.

Carrying too much speed or lifting off will result in the same spin in the 996 as in 993 and 964 in the video. Go to the empty parking lot when it is raining and try some quick turns with throttle lift and no PSM on.

996 is great in the snow and and wet, but it requires slow and attentive approach. I've driven mine in the bad rain and in the snow, it can do it. But you can't hot dog around.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Weight distribution didn't change much from 993 to 996. The chassis dynamic remains the same with engine being in the back. PSM is a great feature and saved me a few times.

Carrying too much speed or lifting off will result in the same spin in the 996 as in 993 and 964 in the video. Go to the empty parking lot when it is raining and try some quick turns with throttle lift and no PSM on.

996 is great in the snow and and wet, but it requires slow and attentive approach. I've driven mine in the bad rain and in the snow, it can do it. But you can't hot dog around.

2002 Carrera Rain Driving - YouTube

It's not so much watching what you are doing, it's what the other crazy drivers are doing that can get you into a real mess. They can smash the hell out of you if you are on winter OR summer tires. People braking and unable to stop from a side road entering your path. Or going out of control coming towards you and sliding onto your side of the road. I say it once again. I will never take my 911 out in the snow ever again. I value my Porsche enough to know it deserves consideration. That's where my van comes into play. If I MUST drive in bad weather conditions, I will use the grand caravan.

Quick Reply: Snow, c2 996 = fun