Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RWD (GT3) 996 Fuel Gauge does not go past 3/4 even when tank is full...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RWD (GT3) 996 Fuel Gauge does not go past 3/4 even when tank is full...

Been reading the forums (here and Renntech), and I've seen the threads about the AWD cars (4, 4S, Turbo, etc) needing to have a dealer re-calibrated the fuel gauge (when disconnecting the battery with less than 1/2 tank of gas). Apparently the AWD cars have a saddlebag style gas tank but I was wondering if the RWD cars also have this type of gas tank and require the same dealer calibration.

I can't seem to find any threads via search about the RWD cars to confirm that they also need to do this re-calibration. I'm wondering if I can simply fill the gas tank and disconnect the battery and let the DME reset...? Has anyone had any luck with this? Anything else I can check on the gas tank/fuel pump connections?

Currently, I'm having issues where the gas gauge does not go past the 3/4 mark even when I completely fill the tank (fuel pump dispensed 13.5 gallons and I had about 2-3 gallons already in the tank).

Thanks in advance!

-Josh
Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm also not aware of 996 rwd version needing calibration. Suspect GT3 is the same as regular rwd in this regard. You may get better response in the 996 Gat3 form.

Maybe just drive till the tank is empty and refill to see of that helps? Sounds like to me the in tank fuel level sender is acting up.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I'm also not aware of 996 rwd version needing calibration. Suspect GT3 is the same as regular rwd in this regard. You may get better response in the 996 Gat3 form.

Maybe just drive till the tank is empty and refill to see of that helps? Sounds like to me the in tank fuel level sender is acting up.
I've now filled the car up 3 times since I got the car...every time, the gas gauge was reporting near empty.

I was thinking it may be the fuel level sensor as well...any good DIYs to replace (or at least inspect)?

Thanks!

-Josh
Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Some good photos in this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...n-t-rev-3.html

After some more research, seems like for the 2wd version, there's a calibration for the sender itself (using PIWIS) whenever the sender is replaced.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Just curious, after you fill her up and start putting miles on the car, does the needle drop proportionally as if that 3/4 mark was the full mark, or the needle remains at 3/4 and doesn't drop till you've put some miles equivalent to having burned 1/4 tank of gas?

I would think the former may indicate a wrong calibration while the latter more like an obstruction that prevents the sender float level arm's full range of motion. Just a pure speculation though.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:52 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Just curious, after you fill her up and start putting miles on the car, does the needle drop proportionally as if that 3/4 mark was the full mark, or the needle remains at 3/4 and doesn't drop till you've put some miles equivalent to having burned 1/4 tank of gas?

I would think the former may indicate a wrong calibration while the latter more like an obstruction that prevents the sender float level arm's full range of motion. Just a pure speculation though.
Fuel gauge stays at 3/4 until I've driven some miles (to the equivalent of burning 1/4 tank of gas) and then slowly drops to empty like normal). Was wondering if it was the floater too...

Thanks...giving me some places to check

-Josh
Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Ok, this TSB is for 996 C2 so not sure if it applies to GT3. It describes what I suspected...one of the fuel hoses on the pump/sender unit is hindering the full motion of the float. The fix is to replace that offending hose with an updated version.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/files...nt-clusterpdf/
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Ok, this TSB is for 996 C2 so not sure if it applies to GT3. It describes what I suspected...one of the fuel hoses on the pump/sender unit is hindering the full motion of the float. The fix is to replace that offending hose with an updated version.

Would this just happen all of a sudden though? One of the previous owners said this wasn't an issue around 5k miles ago.

I'm not a contributing member to Renntech. Any chance you can PM/email me the TSB?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update?

Originally Posted by lax01
Would this just happen all of a sudden though? One of the previous owners said this wasn't an issue around 5k miles ago.
Can you guys give an update on this? Was it fixed? How?

I have a similar issue but mine will sometimes stay at 3/4, other times goes all the way up.

And is there something weird about the aeration of the fuel tank because every time in pump gas, the pump nozzle stops and keeps shutting off way before the tank is even close to being full. I end up filling the tank very very very slowly the rest of the way. Takes like 15 minutes instead of 4.

Last edited by Rubik; 11-27-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik

Can you guys give an update on this? Was it fixed? How?

I have a similar issue but mine will sometimes stay at 3/4, other times go all the way up.

And is there something weird about the aeration of the fuel tank because every time in pump gas, the pump nozzle stops and keeps shutting off way before the tank is even close to being full. I end up filling the tank very very very slowly the rest of the way. Takes like 15 minutes instead of 4.
Have you tried putting the nozzle in upside down? I've heard that can relieve the latter issue you are reporting.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Have you tried putting the nozzle in upside down? I've heard that can relieve the latter issue you are reporting.
Thanks! I'll give that a shot.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:31 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Haven't attempted a fix yet...probably going to take it to a shop since I don't want to deal with fuel
Old 11-27-2014, 10:35 PM
ArniO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What DTMiller suggests worked for me. Some gas nozzles turn off if this is not done.

Quick Reply: RWD (GT3) 996 Fuel Gauge does not go past 3/4 even when tank is full...