Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Buying a 996 at long distance? Without seeing it in person?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying a 996 at long distance? Without seeing it in person?

Hi -
What are your thoughts about buying a car "long distance"? ie, I'm in Florida, and if I find a 996 I like in California... would buying it based on pictures, video of the car, etc, be a bad idea?

(also, opinions on shipping the car instead of flying somewhere and driving it back?)

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 457 Likes on 296 Posts

Once you find the car you are interested in, make a post here and ask a local RLer to check it out for you in person. A great bunch here, and there's someone almost anywhere you can imagine.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM
MBA-Sailor
Instructor

Oh sure Cuda... then that member can poach my perfect car when they go see it for me
(kidding...)
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 457 Likes on 296 Posts

Also, do NOT buy a car just based on pictures or seller's description. If the car passes a basic inspection, you should then arrange for a "proper" ppi inspection. Again, if it gets to that point, ask around here, and someone can recommend a shop near where the car is located.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:23 PM
allen_skillicorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have it inspected and get their 2nd opinion and then fly out! Nothing like a road trip to bond with a new friend!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. See it in person before you buy. If it's your first Porsche you will always remember that road trip!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

I did the same thing a few months ago, bought the car sight unseen did a ppi before, still kind of got burned.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 PM
silotwo
Banned

I'm in PA. and did end up buying a CA car without seeing/driving it in person, although that wasn't the original plan. Still bummed that my plan to fly out with a cashiers check in hand so that if it all checked out I could drive it home fell through at the last minute because of a haughty boss.

I have had the car close to 3 years now and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Started with seller provided photo's and running a car fax on my dime. Multiple phone calls to dig up as many details as I could, down to the scratches on the underside of the exhaust tips.

Then sent a certified check for $10k as a good faith deposit with the seller's written agreement that should I decide to not purchase the car it would be refunded.

Then had several discussions about the history of the car with the servicing dealer in CA. Then had them do a PPI - took a gamble and allowed the servicing dealer to act as the broker. Had a wire transfer set up and when the dealer confirmed title was in hand I initiated the transfer and then upon receipt of the transfer the seller released the car and the dealer faxed me the paperwork of the seller's release. It also helped that the car came with a true bumper to bumper 3rd party warranty good for a year or 20k miles that the seller transferred to me with the purchase of the car.

Got lucky and found one spot on a closed carrier transport and had the car in about ten days. Transporter was a great company, although they have since voluntarily ceased operations. Transport company did their own inspection and written report when they picked up the car - probably more thorough than a PPI - LOL. There were no surprises as everything the carrier noted had been disclosed by the seller - except for the fact that the exterior was dusty when the carrier picked the car up. Imagine that - dust on a used car - some nerve.

So in this case my decision to take a risk that I had always said I would NEVER take - buy a car sight unseen? - not ever going to happen - happened, and I am still very happy with the decision.

Not suggesting you do the same - just sharing my experience. Also from this experience I learned that no matter how careful and thorough you think you are, crap does happen. Bought the car with 23k miles on the clock and the engine took a dump at 37k miles - after the extended warranty had expired. Luckily Porsche took care of it and that's a whole different tale.

Happy hunting.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought mine sight unseen and shipped it across the country (Washington State to Savannah). I had no issues. I had photos, repair history, CarFax and spoke to the owner a length. Once I felt like this was the one, I had a PPI done on the car by an indie that was familiar with the car. They were excellent and called me and e-mailed me pics during the inspection. I also received a complete inspection report. The key in my mind, is make sure that you get a PPI done from someone who is very thorough.

Last edited by Slopeslider; 08-27-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:36 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I've bought and sold several cars this way. Not that big of a deal in the internet age.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked my 996 that way, talked for about 2 weeks with the seller, had tons of photos sent, agreed on a price. Went to my CU and got a check made out to the seller; flew out next day, only thing that wasn't as described and I couldn't notice in the photos was a small chip in the headlight washer surround. Test drove it, looked at records, signed the title and finished the deal. Drove her back about 500 miles (stopped 60 miles west of home to visit the lady friend) then finished (so all in about 620 miles to get her home). No issues just slightly over 2 tanks of gas. A few 100+ sprints in the tunnels on the Pa turnpike (drove through the night so 10pm-2am-ie very little traffic)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I did pretty much the stupidest thing you can do, but it's worked out for me. I essentially bought the car sight unseen, without a PPI.

Now, I didn't technically buy it without seeing it - but I did buy a one way plane ticket up to Canada with all my import paperwork and a verbal agreement to buy the car, as well as a $2000 deposit down. I had talked with the PO extensively, got the full maintenance history, checked all the records - everything matched up. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but the guy had a garage of other equally nice non-P-cars, and it was clear he wasn't some guy trying to offload a bad car - was just moving on to other things. Also, he was running for mayor of his town, and he had to keep up a good reputation.

I got there, did my own "PPI" - no lift accessible, but knew certain things to look for. Had a Durametric, so was able to get into the computer and check for things. Anyways - was it risky? You betcha - I was essentially putting the liability on myself for identifying potential problems. But it worked out.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by allen_skillicorn
Have it inspected and get their 2nd opinion and then fly out! Nothing like a road trip to bond with a new friend!
This!!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 PM
hotrod6464
2nd Gear

I purchased mine from pics and info in NC. I live in PA went with a Bank Ck all was ok drove it home. Great Trip.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:06 PM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in Virginia and bought my car in Chicago. The seller provided photos and service history; then I cold-called a PCA-Chitown officer who pointed me at a PPI shop. I sent a deposit pending the PPI results and my own test drive. The next week, I flew out and confirmed what seller, records, and PPI were telling me.
I had way more fun--- WAY more fun-- driving my "new" 911 from Chicago to Alexandria, than I would have had paying a reputable shipper and w a i t i n g at home for the car.
What else are you going to do, let someone else buy YOUR Carrera because it's available in the wrong state? Research, search, find. Verify, buy, Drive.
Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Buying a 996 at long distance? Without seeing it in person?