Sponsored by:

IMS Retrofit Pro vs. Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMS Retrofit Pro vs. Classic

I am considering an IMS replacement. I have a 40th AE (single row bearing) and I need to decide between the LN IMS Retrofit Pro versus the Classic.
The PRO design (dual row to replace the single) makes sense but the Classic has a proven track record.
Thoughts?
Has anyone installed the PRO and if so, I would appreciate feedback.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready for one as well - and have done this before with same mechanic. I asked him this question and his thoughts are this...replace with the proven. I actually have a problem with this and he and I are going to discuss further because I feel like the dual row is stronger.

I look at the IMS as a service item. I will replace every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. My clutch is 21,000 miles old so I will not have them do it...but at first clutch...IMS will change again.

I am doing more homework and appreciate this thread, but I am leaning toward dual row myself.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:50 AM
PORCAR
Racer

I honestly don't think anyone has the mileage yet to really make a decision one way or the other. I say that not necessarily as a skeptic of the product, even though I am, but having just done it myself so I can potentially sell the car. According to LN's own documentation retrofit vs. solution, "If you do not love your car, or don’t plan on keeping it forever, then choose the Classic IMS Retfofit Bearing from LN Engineering and enjoy the car for 50,000 miles."

Last edited by PORCAR; 08-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The dual row bearings seem to suffer from an extremely low seizure rate (mine came out perfect, FWIW), so I would recommend going that way for additional peace of mind and happy miles. The marginal cost is slight given the scope of the issue and cost of the installation procedure. Jake has his way about him (so do we all) but his stuff is incredibly well engineered so the natural benefits of a dual row versus single row bearing likely would flow through to the Pro versus Classic scenario. If my car had a single row bearing I would go the Pro route for certain.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:08 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the Pro version installed by my indy this spring (my 996 had the single row). He has done a number of the Classic installs and said the Pro was no more difficult and the installation went smoothly - he did have to buy the new tool. From what I understand LN and Jake developed the Pro version as an evolution in their engineering research. The theory behind the Pro made sense to me (2 are stronger, can support more than 1) and given the reliability of their earlier work, I went with the Pro version.
All good so far, but agree not many miles yet.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too favor the PRO because the price difference is minimal and, in theory, the dual row should be stronger. My concern remains longevity.
My mechanic has installed both (or so he says) and he too recommends going with the Classic because of the proven track record.
For low mileage use, it may not matter at all.
1 PGH 1 - now many miles to date do you have on your PRO? Thanks....
Old 08-16-2014, 04:24 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've put 10k mi. on mine since I got it this time last year. That would give me about 5 years of driving before doing the IMS again using LN's logic.

I'm very interested in reports of the higher mileage dual row unit. (Although it STILL comes down to the Hurdi philosophy--don't worry, be happy. )

TC
Old 08-16-2014, 06:12 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't the PRO require a brand new tool as the tools from the Classic are not re-usable?

That means price difference + investment in tools ($300?).
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always struggle balancing the somewhat know failure rate of the dual row in my 99 (very low, according to the class action) vs the really UNKNOWN failure rate of all the aftermarket solutions (whether blamed on a "poor installation"..or the engine should "not have been eligible for retro fit".. or whatever.. it does not matter when it grenades). The failure rates of the solutions are a big question mark. It is nice to hear some real experiences with the retrofits. Ill bite the bullet and jump on the wagon as my clutch is due, but somehow I wonder......

Last edited by 996_North; 08-17-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
1 PGH 1 - now many miles to date do you have on your PRO? Thanks....
Installed in May '14 and have no more than 1,500 miles since - combination of freeway and stop 'n go 'rush' hour ... but then again, I don't put on many miles and it goes away in the winter. Part of the reason I wanted to replace it ... bit of a garage queen.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

The products we have developed continue to evolve. The dual row bearing of the "Pro" has 90% more load carrying capacity than the Classic single row.

Today few people are buying the Classic bearings, because the "Pro" and the IMS Solution both offer much greater load carrying capacity.

The cost of the Classic bearings is going up September 1, due to a reduced volume of sales as the "Pro" takes over the role as the primary IMSR product. In a few years I doubt the Classic will even be offered.. But what do I know, I'm just the idea man.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Jake ??? According to the invoice from Flat 6, my 2000 C4 (January 2000 build date) had a Dual Row IMS bearing installed by the PO 4 years and over 20,000 miles ago. All is well so far, but I have to ask... what is the difference in the old Dual Row that I have and the New Pro Dual Row being sold today?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacks911
Jake ??? According to the invoice from Flat 6, my 2000 C4 (January 2000 build date) had a Dual Row IMS bearing installed by the PO 4 years and over 20,000 miles ago. ?
We did the work here? If so you'll have a bubble top decal in the driver's door jamb that has our logo and a specific serial # that was assigned to that VIN and the IMSR flange that was fitted to the car. If this is not in place, then we didn't do the work as every single IMSR that we have installed has received this.

I had these made and we apply them and have them matched to a database because otherwise someone could claim that we did the work when we didn't. We've even had people make fake invoices to sell their car, but they got themselves busted due to the system that we have in place.

All is well so far, but I have to ask... what is the difference in the old Dual Row that I have and the New Pro Dual Row being sold today
The Single Row Pro is the same dual row bearing that we've used since the beginning. The difference is we've made the unit a European width and fitted it with a special locking ring on the outer diameter that allows the dual row bearing to be fitted to a single row shaft.

The Single Row Pro is nothing more than a dual row bearing that can be fitted to a single row shaft, but the magic happens with the Raby Faultless Installation Tool and Patent Pending (unlike others we've actually followed through with our Patents, not just gotten a Provisional for marketing purposes that we've allowed to lapse) that compresses the ring on the outer diameter of the Pro bearing and also delivers that bearing into the single row shaft.

The Single Row Pro is only applicable to single row IMS outfitted vehicles. If someone has a dual row the classic bearing, the unit has evolved quite a bit over the years; but today its still the same proven technology that we've been delivering since 2007.

To be clear: A Single Row Pro dual row bearing cannot be fitted to an original dual row IMS unit. The Classic Dual Row is used for all of those aplications.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Having the pro installed as I type this on my new to me 04 996.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:14 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

For those installing the Pro, did you have to supply the install tool yourself, at an additional cost of $400, or your shop already have that?

Would be a rather expensive exercise ($900+$40) if have to buy both, might as well install the Solution.

Quick Reply: IMS Retrofit Pro vs. Classic