Sponsored by:

Average prices on a 996.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Last December I purchased my 2000 Carrera, which is fairly similar to the one you show on Craigslist.

Black over black. 82K miles. PSM. Etc. I'm even in Maryland.

The seller had the IMS bearing and clutch replaced by At Speed Motorsports for ballpark $2,500.

I paid $18,000 even for the car. To me that's a heck of a lot of car for the money, but the price certainly seems market correct.

Other than the IMS and clutch I did not know much about previous service history. A few months ago I replaced the spark plugs and tubes, polyrib belt, water pump, thermostat, fuel and air filters. The parts cost around $500 total, and it took about 10 hours of my time in my garage.

I have not done the AOS, but otherwise I've got 2000 Carrera with the service pretty much up-to-date for $18,500 and some quality time in the garage.

I also swapped out the suspension for the ROW M030 kit, which I purchased for $1,300 and installed myself.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

With regards to that car on Craigslist, get a reasonable PPI. Do a little negotiating. Take the car to At Speed Motorsports (or other shop of your choice). Looks like chances are pretty good that you could come away with a nice car for under $20K.

If it does need a bunch of other work (water pump, etc.) and you can't do the work yourself, then you're looking at upwards of $1,000 additional to bring the car up to spec.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:04 PM
uribeman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Last December I purchased my 2000 Carrera, which is fairly similar to the one you show on Craigslist. Black over black. 82K miles. PSM. Etc. I'm even in Maryland. The seller had the IMS bearing and clutch replaced by At Speed Motorsports for ballpark $2,500. I paid $18,000 even for the car. To me that's a heck of a lot of car for the money, but the price certainly seems market correct. Other than the IMS and clutch I did not know much about previous service history. A few months ago I replaced the spark plugs and tubes, polyrib belt, water pump, thermostat, fuel and air filters. The parts cost around $500 total, and it took about 10 hours of my time in my garage. I have not done the AOS, but otherwise I've got 2000 Carrera with the service pretty much up-to-date for $18,500 and some quality time in the garage. I also swapped out the suspension for the ROW M030 kit, which I purchased for $1,300 and installed myself.
Thanks Mark, thats exactly where im thinking to take the car for a PPI and was quoted $180. I talked to Pete.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharp looking car!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I'm definitely in the minority, but I'll choose a car that has an exterior/interior in fantastic condition, everything functioning as inspected by me, all original, no accident history, without signs of any quick & dirty cosmetic rework WITHOUT a PPI in a second over a cosmetically so-so car with a clean PPI.

So much focus on PPI's... I've seen many PPI's done on cars by top shops, read dozens of PPI reports, and am almost always unimpressed. They check over everything I typically check myself and rarely go into model-specific known issues. I don't need a shop to tell me tire wear, brake wear, tiny RMS leak. I saw those already... Unlike air-cooled engines, a well running 996 rarely has issues that will show up on a compression test. PPI's I've seen from top shops have NEVER pulled an oil pan or cut open a filter. They might spot a panel that's been repainted that you didn't notice, but on 996's if the damage is light enough that it never showed on carfax and the repair is good enough that I can't spot it, I don't really care. Not a collector car. They might check for overrev's, something I can't do without additional diag tools, but again, that really isn't what's going to get you on a 'bad' 996...

Now I know a bunch of you will say 'you need a better shop to do a PPI', but picking the shop that will do a great PPI is no trivial task either.

If you don't already know a fair amount about 996's, or are not a semi-decent backyard mechanic, or simply don't want to spend the time as well as get down on the ground with a flashlight, a PPI definitely makes sense...

But again, give me the great looking, great driving, great configuration decade old Porsche with an original IMS bearing and no PPI in a second over a crappy looking, worn interior, bad color combo 996 with a fresh IMS bearing and a clean PPI...
^^^ This, I totally agree with. I didn't have a PPI done on my car, and I doubt a $200 PPI is going to tell me anything I couldn't figure out myself.

Originally Posted by Cuda911
In my opinion, a PPI for these cars is mainly to find out if there are any gross, obvious issues. Of course, no one is going to tear down the heads, borescope inspect, take out the tranny to access the IMSB, etc. But, they can look for signs of abuse, unusual wear, make sure all components function properly, etc. That's about all I'd expect for a few hundred dollars.
Sure, but how hard is all that stuff to do yourself? For that matter, how many "clean" cars that drive properly and have a known service history are developing major problems that a PPI would have exposed?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

^^^ You are correct, in that if you know cars well, and are familiar with 996's, there is no rocket science and you can do it yourself. Of course, most dealers won't let you put it on a lift, whereas I would expect that to be done during a PPI.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

The main thing I see with new time 996 buyers is that they are willing to get a low mile car that hasn't seen the typical repairs and upgrades.....why do that? The car bodies are dipped in galv and don't rust. The maintenance items are the all the working parts......motor, tranny and suspension. If you see a car with high miles but well maintained with updates (IMS/RMS/Suspension) are done they don't touch it. If I was looking at a Buick/Chevy or whatever I would be concerned with high miles. With a Pcar? nope.

Quick Reply: Average prices on a 996.1