High mileage C4s vs Low mileage C4 - good condition

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High mileage C4s vs Low mileage C4 - good condition

Hi Guys,

If prices were comparable, and overall condition and maintenance history were good for both cars, would you opt/recommend or prefer buying a 2002 C4S, or a 2001 C4, and why?..talking like 20-30k for the C4 and 75k for a C4S

On a side note, i'm taking a look at a 01 C4 later this week that has an OEM GT3 body kit on it, the owner said it was bought and installed by a Porsche dealership, but for some reason the photos look off..I can't tell if its just in my head, but doesn't the front bumper and sides look to be painted slightly different than the body?...

As usual, I value all of your opinions and would appreciate any help

thanks
Jason
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

I decided to add two more pics just to get an idea of how it all looks together. I plan on checking it out this week so i'm not sure if its just the pics or what..but it kinda looks noticeable to me..maybe its the case with all body kits that are added?
Attached Images   
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,486 Likes on 935 Posts

Personally, I prefer the C4S. For the right car in the right condition, I would still opt for the C4S. The only C4 that I would consider is one with the aero kit. You've got a tough decision!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The front bumper looks a little darker to me than the body color. Can't give you an opinion either way with the C4 vs C4S, but I can say I do enjoy C2 ownership. GLWYSearch.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I prefer the .1 body (specifically the lights) better than the .2 so I would lean towards the .1, but the low miles would mean that the IMS should be high on the list of things to do ASAP (and I'm not a polly-anna about the IMS).

I would agree with Dennis, gotta have the aerokit. Maybe it's been 13 years living with our 01 C4 with it, but I think 993s on just look unfinished without the aerokits/wings on them. I especially like the 996.1 taco wing though.

As far as the pics, I'd guess that the parts were painted without the car and no blending has been done. Makes it look stupid, but it's correctable. I'd get it into a good body shop and have them look at it and give you an idea on what such a correction might cost.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

thanks for the feedback guys..

Gnat - As far as blending, would that entail a new paint job of the bumpers to get them to match? I have to ask them about that when I go check it out, I'm pretty sure the guy said that the kit was ordered and put on when they originally got the car, the first owner was his father on a 4 year lease, then he financed it and put it under his name..but maybe I heard that wrong

as far as the IMS and RMS issues I love to read about and hear multiple views on..is it just worth getting them done at the time I'd buy it?

They are fine with me getting a 3rd party PPI, and I had mentioned to the guy about my IMS/RMS concerns, he told me that he hasn't had any of the preventative stuff done, and that IMS didnt happen as much to the tiptronic transmissions..is that even true? I've heard conflicting views.

Is it worth doing both just so I can sleep at night?

He spent about $10k of work in 2010 replacing:

Coolant reservoir replaced
Water pump replaced
Four wheel alignment performed
Breaks and Break pads

He had a whole list of stuff done I need to get a complete list of.

Edit:
I'm thinking about bringing it to Deman Motorsports for a PPI, anyone in NJ have a good experience with them?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

First off $75k for a C4S, are you on crack?

Secondly if the C4 in the pic is a tip, I personally wouldn't pay more than 25k tops.

If you are set on getting a tip, get a '04+ model as those had more sophisticated shift algorithms than the previous mk1 models.

As for IXX, only you can make a determination based on hours of reading about it on here.

Also worth mentioning from the pic is that it seems to be lowered. Also either the dealership or PO painted the lower lip silver which technically should've been kept black for a factory look.

Also in addition to "breaks", make sure the Calibers don't have peeling clear coat on it.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, i'm not on crack, 75k is the mileage, no $ in front of it

was comparing an 01 C4 with 20-30k miles, and the 02 C4s with 75k miles

Just to make sure i'm looking at it correctly, you are talking about the most bottom part of the front bumper? that should have been black? I agree I thought the the whole stance/wheel size looked a little suspect, he did mention he added new H&R springs
Old 07-22-2014, 05:31 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I honestly wouldn't consider 75k high mileage at all. I bought my C4S a few years ago when it was at 30k miles. It has right at about 75k miles on it now and it is just as reliable as it was at 30k.

I would not for a second hesitate to buy another C4S with 75k miles if it was well cared for.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

good to know, and you do make a good point, I for some reason have this stigma that anything above 50k miles is getting up there in mileage, but if its taken care of whats really the difference?

I'm looking at spending around $25k, so that I can comfortably afford it, buy another SUV clunker to drive in bad weather and snow storms in the winter, and have a rainy day fund for any issues that come up. Plus its also going to be my first Porsche, and it has to be tiptronic, so that the wife can drive it if needed (really my only fair option/compromise to getting one at this point)

So basically 25k for 27k miles 01 996 C4, ~25k for 70k miles 02 996 C4s

If I end up wanting to trade it in, or sell it for another, newer/better one, what is my better re-sale value in 5-7 years? I know its hard to really compare them but...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:29 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoz
Thanks for the input, i'm not on crack, 75k is the mileage, no $ in front of it

was comparing an 01 C4 with 20-30k miles, and the 02 C4s with 75k miles
Thanks for the clarification. If both are tip tranny's, as I've mentioned, go with the 04+. But you should really drive them and make a determination on what speaks to you. Both will ride/drive a bit different.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
Thanks for the clarification. If both are tip tranny's, as I've mentioned, go with the 04+. But you should really drive them and make a determination on what speaks to you. Both will ride/drive a bit different.
I was just researching the history of the Porsche Tiptronic and it looks like it was changed in the 2005, so I think i'm out of range if I went for one of those
Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 PM
JohnnyQuik
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Metallic silvers and golds are the toughest colors to match/ blend. Everybody talks about avoiding low mileage M96 cars that sat for long periods without being driven. On a low mileage car, I'd be more concerned about multiple owners and complete records showing regular use and no neglected maintenance.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:16 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

The mark 1 in silver with the Aero kit is the best looking 911. Period.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

A good PPI would be able to detect issues with the car being left to sit around not being used or neglected though wouldn't it? Will definitely request it's maintenance history. I know the current owner had received it from his father with around 19-20k miles in 2004 or so, so it hasn't had much use the remaining 9-10 years.

Just looking at my phone I really can see the color difference between the bumper and car..I hope it isn't as noticeable or bother me as much in person, maybe on a more natural background it isn't as noticeable.

Quick Reply: High mileage C4s vs Low mileage C4 - good condition