Sponsored by:

Are 996 with aero kits rare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:05 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I'm convinced that the MkI Aero will become an appreciated car in a few years.

What are everyone's thoughts on Porsche aero kits installed after the car was manufactured? I'm hesitant to buy a non-XAA car with the kit installed as I think it will delay the car's value in years to come. Thoughts?

Porsche parts installed by a dealer, not an issue.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:28 AM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have many recent pics...need to save them to the pc then I'll upload. XAA car.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Porsche parts installed by a dealer, not an issue.
How would one verify that without receipts or records?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

How would one verify that without receipts or records?

Well, good record keeping is important for anything like this, but the OEM parts generally look different to the aftermarket copies. I'm yet to see a copy that looks anything like the real thing. I have records for every thing that has been done to my car, along with photographs of major work.

Related, but not. The other fly in the ointment is that the options lists on the cars are notoriously unreliable - I learned this when I asked my Porsche dealer (shortly after I bought the car) why the options list sticker on the trunk didn't match the options on the car. Once Porsche screws up there's no way to get it corrected.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The usual giveaways on the spoiler as to whether it's OEM or a copy are as follows:
1) Porsche markings and stickers
2) The air vent design
3) Fit, finish and quality (particularly on the inside where you can see if the fiberglass is smooth and well finished)
Attached Images   

Last edited by Wellardmac; 01-04-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:12 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Well it's definitely a Porsche aero kit, but not an XAA car. His price was already steep and definitely not worth it for me since the kit was added after production.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Well it's definitely a Porsche aero kit, but not an XAA car. His price was already steep and definitely not worth it for me since the kit was added after production.
As I said, added during or after production makes no difference. If you don't like the price, that's a different matter, but excluding a car based on when the aero was added will just exclude a lot of good cars and make your search more frustrating and tortuous.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:20 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

As I said, added during or after production makes no difference. If you don't like the price, that's a different matter, but excluding a car based on when the aero was added will just exclude a lot of good cars and make your search more frustrating and tortuous.
You're absolutely right. Unfortunately I can't turn off my type-A meticulousness.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately I can't turn off my type-A meticulousness.
Well, your call.

I'm biased, but I feel that the 996 Aero is the best looking of the 996s. Every year I ask myself the question as to whether it's time to trade in for something newer and each time I come to the conclusion that I would just spend a lot of money for little gain and something less unique... there are not too many aero cars out there, so it's nice to have one that stands out from the crowd.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:51 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Well, your call.

I'm biased, but I feel that the 996 Aero is the best looking of the 996s. Every year I ask myself the question as to whether it's time to trade in for something newer and each time I come to the conclusion that I would just spend a lot of money for little gain and something less unique... there are not too many aero cars out there, so it's nice to have one that stands out from the crowd.
Agreed. I'll find the right Aero for me soon. Will just take persistence.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Agreed. I'll find the right Aero for me soon. Will just take persistence.

Yup. Eventually you'll find the right car for you.

My car was the second one that I looked at.

From the owner perspective I'm happy to see that my car now seems to be fully depreciated, as the $23-25K range is where I've seen Aeros selling for the last 3 or so years, so every mile I now put onto my car is free.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:25 AM
jrdavid68
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what is a reasonable price range, give or take a couple grand, for a 2003 factory aero? Say, between 40k and 50k miles with no other remarkable or expensive options? No records, clean car fax and which appears to be well cared for.

I have made an offer on a particular 2003 including a deposit contingent on an acceptable PPI. I was not countered, just a response that we were too far apart. The PPI was already discussed and is not an issue.

Thanks,
JrDavid68
Old 03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts
Default fit

Any;

will taco oem wing fit on 2004 996?

mkI to mkII
Old 03-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Diablo360
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickmortimer
Any;

will taco oem wing fit on 2004 996?

mkI to mkII
It most certainly will. It's a direct fit and will take less than 10 minutes to install. With that being said, I wouldn't even think about adding one to an MK2 car. From an aesthetic perspective the taco wing has unique curves and will look completely ridiculous unless you have the MK1 aero kit front bumper and side skirts to balance things out. Also the MK1 aero kit was designed to be used as a "complete" kit (complete meaning all of the MK1 aero kit pieces). If you install just the wing without the proper front aerodynamics the car will drive like s**t at speed (front end unstable, wobbling, etc.).
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diablo360
It most certainly will. It's a direct fit and will take less than 10 minutes to install. With that being said, I wouldn't even think about adding one to an MK2 car. From an aesthetic perspective the taco wing has unique curves and will look completely ridiculous unless you have the MK1 aero kit front bumper and side skirts to balance things out. Also the MK1 aero kit was designed to be used as a "complete" kit (complete meaning all of the MK1 aero kit pieces). If you install just the wing without the proper front aerodynamics the car will drive like s**t at speed (front end unstable, wobbling, etc.).
Good Post Diablo! Really Good Points! also, unless i'm mistaken did somebody in one of the earlier posts put a 3k $$$ wing on a MK1? WHAT?

Quick Reply: Are 996 with aero kits rare?