Sponsored by:

Unhappy surprise this morning :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:39 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
$2K for a bumper cover...that part is worth more than many of the cars I've owned over the years. Are you going to have the shop do any additional work while you're there?
Yeah and what really gets me is that the 996.1 rear skin is pretty straight forward (e.g. no cut outs, no weird contours, etc..) but my 958 turbo bumper only cost me like $350 (it's bigger and has lots more detail)

Originally Posted by andys-944
Yeah I asked for a quote to redo the front bumper and hood stone chips $1850 !! but they want to take it back to bare metal and flair into the front wings / fenders to ensure a color match so its OK but I will probably pass at this point.
One of the times the 996 was in the shop this year we finally had the front bumper repainted (lots of missing paint from it's days of street parking in DC). My guy repainted it for $500, but it looks off compared to the rest of the paint around it (hood & fenders) since it's a nice fresh black compared to the faded out black on the rest of the car.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnat
One of the times the 996 was in the shop this year we finally had the front bumper repainted (lots of missing paint from it's days of street parking in DC). My guy repainted it for $500, but it looks off compared to the rest of the paint around it (hood & fenders) since it's a nice fresh black compared to the faded out black on the rest of the car.
Is your car black or a metallic color? Treat your car to a good detail.

You need to polish the clear-coat on the rest of the car and it won't look faded anymore. Black is the easiest color to match and you really shouldn't have noticeable fade if you kept the paint in decent condition. A good polish and wax and the bumper should be spot on.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

I'd work with a shop that will shape the rear quarter back to proper contour and not cut it. That is possible with the right person on it. Replace the bumper cover and light and respray the quarter, blending if needed. Cut and replace is the last resort.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

+1. A good shop should be able to straighten that quarter panel.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by devioustrap
Originally Posted by gnat
Is your car black or a metallic color? Treat your car to a good detail.

You need to polish the clear-coat on the rest of the car and it won't look faded anymore. Black is the easiest color to match and you really shouldn't have noticeable fade if you kept the paint in decent condition. A good polish and wax and the bumper should be spot on.
No this is old and tired (and not factory due to other accidents) paint that has lived its entire life in the elements. There is also some bad oxidation going on with the roof (factory paint).

Whenever we finally get a garage it will get a full repaint to look pretty again.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody hit your car
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM
andys-944
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you know what happens, I like the idea of pulling out and bondo at least the galvanizing stay largely intact. When its authorized I'll go and talk to the shop and the guy who's going to do it not just a estimator.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
andys-944
Pro

and Halik yes you win a washer good guess !!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM
andys-944
Pro

Finally a update, not overly impressed with Farmers taking a week to get to look at the car.
Farmers Insurance have agreed the repairs and the very helpful adjuster agreed with my concerns about cutting the panel and the shop will try and pull out the dent rather than cut and weld.
So now I just need to get it done.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:02 PM
andys-944
Pro

OK I now have my car back
They were able to pull the dent out instead of cut and weld, so the total cost to insurance $5,445.70 and 2 weeks. it needs to go back next week as the roof clam shell isn't sitting entirely flush so they are going to refit that. In addition when I picked up I could see orange peel in the paint but under different light I can't !
It wasn't bad I've seen worse on new BMW's but still not what I'd expect.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

They were able to pull the dent out instead of cut and weld, so the total cost to insurance $5,445.70 and 2 weeks. it needs to go back next week as the roof clam shell isn't sitting entirely flush so they are going to refit that. In addition when I picked up I could see orange peel in the paint but under different light I can't !
I know it's too late now, but did you ever think about doing a wide body kit? Since you were looking into possibly cutting the panel.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 186 Posts

That is incredibly inconsiderate, I guess the rationale would be 'he can afford that, he can afford to fix it'

I like the idea of tracking down the refuse company, pretty logical.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM
PORCAR
Racer

You really should check with your insurance first because based on the amount that could be felony vandalism, which you are covered for without penalty.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some paint work done on my C2 at the authorized Pcar dealer. It looked great in the shop but after I had it home and looked at in the sun light it was pretty bad. Took it back and they re-sprayed it and it looked good except for some orange peel. At first they told me it was normal and actually showed be a new Mercedes to make their point. My point was simple, it had no orange peel before and I wasn't going to accept orange peel after they worked on it. They simply did some wet sanding and buff and it came out perfect.

Don't be afraid to ask them to fix it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM
andys-944
Pro

Pcargo, I didn't think about a wide body conversion only the one side and never came to mind.

Since I've had the car back I'm not seeing the orange peel so, I need to pull in our shop here and have a good look under decent lighting. Its certainly not bad. I need to call them as there going to take the car back and refit / adjust the claim shell which isn't closing fully on the RH side proud by a 1/8 of a inch.
I'm really disappointed by the paint quality on new cars, I need to take a close look at new Porches when I'm next at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Unhappy surprise this morning :(