Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any 996 owners make the move from a NA to a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:47 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any 996 owners make the move from a NA to a TT?

Just got my 4S, but I can't help to covet the TT a bit. I'm curious if anyone has made the jump up and their experiences.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:02 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adcampo
Just got my 4S, but I can't help to covet the TT a bit. I'm curious if anyone has made the jump up and their experiences.
I did the switch a year ago. regarding the switch, I have just 3 words " worth every penny "
Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TT

Absolutely! The Turbo engine is the same as the GT3 (without Turbos of course!) That is one of the biggest selling points. And I added the UMW flash with 1 BAR pressure just for the fun of it. And Bilstein PSS10, Lowered and Tarret Drop Links/Eibach Sway Bars, GT2 Wheels!
Attached Images    
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM
RaginBull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Im in the same boat, in fact my car is on the market now. I have 5 Grand in my pocket to either do the IMS, RMS and clutch. Or, sell the car and collect the 5 Grand I have in equity combine it with my 5 Grand pocket money and buy a turbo.....hmmmm
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a tt after owning a base 986 for the last 12 years. There is no doubt that its a great car. I enjoy the exhaust and knowing that the engine is from the gt1 race car (and stamped 964). Its nice knowing you can out accelerate almost anyone in any gear, but the car is overall too fast. You could push the boxster motor to its limits and it would feel great, many will never experience the tt pushed to its limits because its just too dangerous. I kept my car stock as there is more demand for unadulterated cars, the only thing ill do is get some bilstein hd's and if i can source a used tubi exhaust. I no longer have a need for more speed (even though there are marginally faster cars). At the end of the day i cant believe i have this super car in my garage.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Compelling. Since mine is a cab, I'd want to consider a TT cab. I can easily see why the TT coupe is the overall choice in performance, but in a cab it might be a bit much? Maybe I'm trying to convince myself....

Another option, keep my 4S cab and pick up a TT coupe? My wife will lose her mind if she knew I was having this conversation.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Like Ck986 I bought a used 2003 Turbo in 2009 after 7 years with my base Boxster (and 4 weeks with a 2008 Cayman S...(lost it to an accident)).

The Turbo is a very nice car and a blast to drive.

Like Ck986 I feel the car is too fast.

It is like taking an atomic cannon on a squirrel hunt. Overkill.

But still a blast to drive.

Effortless getting up to speed and passing. Climbs hills like they aren't even there, even at 9K feet above sea level.

Corners and stops like a Porsche, too.

Can cruise all day at highway speed in 19F or 118F temps with the cabin just a comfy 72F.

Good visibility out. Love the head lights. They really light up the night and this is important out on the open road away form urban lights.

Be prepared for some running costs, as the Turbo costs more to keep on the road than say a Boxster. A 996 is probably closer to the Turbo in running costs but still the Turbo is going to cost more than even a NA 996.

The Turbo drinks gasoline, and even though I get good tire life when they need replacing they are expensive.

Plugs need doing more often and cost more to change.

Other services are more expensive. Remember it was a $120K car (at least mine stickered for that much) and my local dealer doesn't discount parts or labor just because it has 128K miles and is 11 years old.

'course, if you can do some of the servicing you can save some money.

BTW, I kept the Boxster. Still a very good car and I like to drive it too.

Anyhow, test drive a Turbo. But be forewarned. You will probably want one afterwards.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM
BlownC2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 09 TT cab about a year and a half ago. Love it! Kept my 996 and use it as a track car. The boost is very addictive. Great highway cruiser and just as easy to drive in city traffic.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Ck986
Pro

The turbo is more complicated than a na 996/986 so will cost more to repair. You're likely to spend 1.5-3k on maintenance when you first buy the car, but it should be bullet proof there after. I don't know if I would trade a c4s for a TT, but I did get rid of my boxster (although I wish I kept it). I don't drive much so the 986 would never get driven. If you do drive it you will be in awe and want to buy one. There is nothing like it, but it is excessive if you are not use to such high HP cars.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Clearly I need to test drive one. There are two nice examples near me. I'll report back.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:01 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Yes. Bought an '02 TT rather cheaply a month ago or so, because I do a few HPDE track days per year, and wanted more oomph. I got it. The oomph factor is 25x the C4S, but as mentioned earlier, so is the gas consumption. Found myself moving toward 6th gear more often in the C4S, and leave it in 4th with the turbo! So far cost has been same as C4S in terms of maintenance, and expect it to be that way going forward. Don't believe the bullet proof myth for the turbo motor as supported here on the 996 forum. Mezger motor has problems that you can read about on TT forum, just not quite as prevalent as the NA motor issues, which are a low percentage anyhow. Am I happy? Yes. I've had turbo fever for a few months, and it seems I might not get well for a few more...ha ha

2002 Turbo - Basalt Black Metallic / 2003 Carrera 4S - Speed Yellow / 1955 356 Continental 1500 - Rust Red
Old 06-11-2014, 12:32 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sold the C4S and bought a 04 turbo a couple of months ago. The C4S is a very relaxed car to drive and ultimately in stock trim handles a little better than the turbo. The extra weight at the back end is noticeable as is the difference in springing...and before you say it, yes I have driven more than one.

The power of the turbo is addictive and very useable; it's not too fast and I enjoy stretching it to the limit on a daily basis.

Overall if you want to drive quickly, then its worth the trade up.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I own both, they are both fun in their own way. The turbo uses more gas which makes the C4S a better DD. But if I had to get rid of one I'd keep the Turbo.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 AM
bernardbarbour
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I should not be reading this thread as we have only owned our 04 C4S a few months. Since having such an enjoyable experience with the C4S it has only naturally occurred to me " What would a TT feel like?" hmmmmm.....
Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my C4S. It's the apex predator of a commute car. When she is done, there will be 991 Turbo S for me

Quick Reply: Any 996 owners make the move from a NA to a TT?