Sponsored by:

Identify convertible top part.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:10 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Wucash,
Following up on a question about opening a convertible "clamshell lid" being stuck closed (with the convertible top folded down). Here is my suggestion for dealing with this:

1. Remove the rear vertical panel behind the rear passenger seats.
2. Follow the owner's manual instructions to actuate the left and right "side flaps" that move at the start of the top movement sequence. (see page 145)

manual roof1

manual roof2

3. This will allow limited access and visibility to the left and right "latch hook" that hold the clamshell down, and the front 10mm nut. (see pics in post #6 above.)
4. With the help of two friends, attempt to actuate the clamshell latches manually per the instructions in the center of page 144 of the manual. The helpers can observe the movement of the latch hooks, and perhaps help push them in the right direction.
5. If that doesn't work, remove the retaining clips and move the latches manually
6. With the flaps rotated, you should be able to access the front 10mm nut on both sides. Remove these.
7. The rear 10mm nuts are trickier. You can almost see it behind the plastic wing-shaped "mini flaps" , but getting to it might require a special wrench. I bet an adjustable angle ratchet type box wrench would work.
8. Once you get the front latch hooks and the two 10mm nuts on each side, two people should be able to lift the clamshell partially, so that a third person can get to the rear center latch hook to disengage it.

Note that this is all in theory, and where I would start based on my understanding of the system. I haven't actually tried this.

Once you get the clamshell off, manually raise the top per the owners manual, and then remove the clamshell drive assembly (part #4 shown in the first post of this thread). Disassemble it and figure out what's wrong with it, or replace it.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Wucash,
Following up on a question about opening a convertible "clamshell lid" being stuck closed (with the convertible top folded down). Here is my suggestion for dealing with this:

1. Remove the rear vertical panel behind the rear passenger seats.
2. Follow the owner's manual instructions to actuate the left and right "side flaps" that move at the start of the top movement sequence. (see page 145)

manual roof1

manual roof2

6. With the flaps rotated, you should be able to access the front 10mm nut on both sides. Remove these.
7. The rear 10mm nuts are trickier. You can almost see it behind the plastic wing-shaped "mini flaps" , but getting to it might require a special wrench. I bet an adjustable angle ratchet type box wrench would work.
8. Once you get the front latch hooks and the two 10mm nuts on each side, two people should be able to lift the clamshell partially, so that a third person can get to the rear center latch hook to disengage it.

Note that this is all in theory, and where I would start based on my understanding of the system. I haven't actually tried this.

Once you get the clamshell off, manually raise the top per the owners manual, and then remove the clamshell drive assembly (part #4 shown in the first post of this thread). Disassemble it and figure out what's wrong with it, or replace it.

These are good ideas. I will be trying to take off the two screws, on the passenger side with collision expert, he might have more experience getting into tight spots.

If that does not work I will raise the half that works and unscrew the 10m bolts under and see if I can raise the spoiler far enough to get access to the screws. Not sure how much play is in there before you start scratching other body panels or bending things too much.

3. Start cutting and order a new deck lid ...

I guess quick update is in order, better late than never.
I might have update this in another thread.

1. I was able to lift the deck enough to unscrew one side, then got a helper to lift it up as far as possible without bending too much stuff. About 45 degree angle. With little screw ratchet took me 30 mins to unscrew the other side.

2. Now I was able to examine what is wrong and found a missing latchet on the "locket mechanism", which caused the mechanism to pop out and jam inside the plastic.

3. I found the spring about 2 feet away. Connected everything back up and has been "good" ever since.

For the other top issue, i glue the hinge together, and had to readjust the spring as it popped out and was not pressing the latch down. The latch broke again few weeks later but since the spring is in place its enought for latching to still work.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wucash; 10-22-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Identify convertible top part.