Sponsored by:

Coolant Tank Replacement Tip - Read before you replace

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM
scorchpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Coolant Tank Replacement Tip - Read before you replace

So a month or so ago I replaced my coolant tank on my 2002 C4 Cab, and it was not a pretty job. It involved dropping the engine and wrestling with the d*$# thing for 3 hours just to get it out, breaking the top plastic mount in the process. However, when putting the tank back in, I learned a little trick that made the job a snap, and would probably help immensely in the removal as well, you might even be able to do it without dropping the engine.

the trick was to remove the black mounting bracket on the top of the car before you put the reservoir back in place (there are 2 bolts that hold it in place. The reservoir went in very easily without this mount in place. I then put the reservoir in place and pushed it way back (towards the front of the car), and well into the sound proofing. This gave enough room to re-install the mounting bracket, and then re-position the tank and install.

I can only assume this would work on the removal as well. once everything is disconnected, push the tank towards the front of the car, remove the mounting bracket, then remove the tank.

good luck.... hopefully this makes things easier

Here's a picture of the part I'm talking about.....

Last edited by scorchpa; 04-08-2014 at 10:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by scorchpa:
Bumlinger (02-22-2022), dxrohanx (02-25-2023), imhighlander (02-24-2023)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Apparently this only applys to the 02+. The bracket is made in such a way that the tank is nearly impossible to remove w/o removing the bracket. You can remove one bolt, loosen the other then swivel the bracket some to help but on the 02+ its really just easier to drop the engine (which is what I did), especially if your doing some other things anyway.

I respect anyone that takes on the coolant tank replacement job on a 3.6L. It really is much harder than the earlier cars.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Thanks for sharing! It always helps when someone does a repair job and shares their trials and successes.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, I used exactly the same trick (read it somewhere on the Internet) with lowering the engine all the way till the engine rests on the rear cross member. I have a '03 C2 coupe.

I can confirm that you can remove the tank as long as you remove that black bracket first.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:09 PM
scorchpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had not read anything about the bracket before... (no wonder I was wrestling with it for so long!). I actually did manage to get the tank out with that bracket still in place (though I had broken 2 of the teeth on it). Yes, this was the 3.6, and I also assume that the cab may make it even tighter there
Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by scorchpa
I had not read anything about the bracket before... (no wonder I was wrestling with it for so long!). I actually did manage to get the tank out with that bracket still in place (though I had broken 2 of the teeth on it). Yes, this was the 3.6, and I also assume that the cab may make it even tighter there
I probably spent the same amount of time searching the internet for that piece of info The job is totally a PITA. Comparable to spark plug replacement with mufflers on, which is conincdentally also a lot easier on Mk I cars. So everything in MkII seems to be more difficult.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't believe Porsche put the screw in the middle of that bracket. If it was on the outside somewhere this would be an easy job. But I guess they figured no one would ever have to replace that since it's "lifetime" coolant then the tank must be "lifetime" as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fpena944
I can't believe Porsche put the screw in the middle of that bracket. If it was on the outside somewhere this would be an easy job. But I guess they figured no one would ever have to replace that since it's "lifetime" coolant then the tank must be "lifetime" as well.
They put TWO and not just one screw haha
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
The job is totally a PITA. Comparable to spark plug replacement with mufflers on, which is conincdentally also a lot easier on Mk I cars. So everything in MkII seems to be more difficult.
Yeah, but your headlights are so much prettier!
The following users liked this post:
Argeo (09-24-2021)
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Yeah, but your headlights are so much prettier!
No complaints there. Actually at least one thing is easier to replace on a MkII than Mk I - the cam timing actuator
Old 04-08-2014, 06:02 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
They put TWO and not just one screw haha
True - it's been over a year since I did mine so I forgot. I'd rather not have to go through that again and if I do I might as well get my engine rebuilt while I'm in there.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fpena944
True - it's been over a year since I did mine so I forgot. I'd rather not have to go through that again and if I do I might as well get my engine rebuilt while I'm in there.
I hear you
Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 PM
jeffcatl
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you recall the bolt/screw type and size? It is not visible so knowing the proper socket/driver to use will help save the trial/error approach for those of us foolish enough to try this R&R.... Of which I am one :-) Parts arrived today and I will complete the job tomorrow. It is a '03 996 C4S.

EDIT: It is a 10mm socket that is needed.

Last edited by jeffcatl; 07-11-2014 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Found answer
Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
eagle11401
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into this when I did mine a month ago. The combination of that tank being bigger and the bracket turned a simple job into a 2 day ordeal. I don't think you can get the bracket out with out moving the tank out of the way since there are 2 screws/bolts holding it in and you can't reach them with the tank in place. I had to drop the motor as far as it will go (make sure you disconnect the o2 sensor plugs!!), then I could slide it far enough to the side to wiggle it out. I re-installed the new one the same way with out removing the bracket but it was a pain in the butt.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:24 PM
pstracha
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I'm on my second day with this frustrating job. I enjoy working on my car but in hindsight I'd gladly have paid to have this job done.

I'm at the point now where I'm reinstalling the tank. I have the engine lowered as far as it'll go and I did the trick where you remove the bracket, place the tank in the engine bay, push it forward and reinstall the bracket. Now I need to slide the tank back into position but the 19mm hex nut on the fuel rail is in my way. Does anyone know if this can be safely removed? I gently applied some force to it to see if it'd come off but I'm afraid of applying too much force. If it can be removed should I expect pressurized fuel to escape? (had that unpleasant experience with my Pontiac GrandPrix GT)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Coolant Tank Replacement Tip - Read before you replace