996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:50 PM
sd996tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice to change the speakers out to JBL GTO series. Wow! What a difference! I have a 2002 turbo with the Bose system. It sounded like crap. Now I want to just sit in my car and listen to the radio, it is that good. The newer GTO series (xx9) has changed to 3 Ohm from 2 Ohm, but doing some reading on various sites, I figured it wouldn't hurt to use the new 3 Ohm speakers for the dash, since I couldn't find 328's. My setup is:

Dash: JBL GTO 329 (took 5 minutes to install each side)
Doors: JBL GTO 528 (had to dremel the holes, but about an hour each side to remove and replace door panels, and dremel the enclosures to enlarge.)
Subwoofer: JBL GTO 528, dynamat inside of enclosure, and stuffed with fiber).
Rear panels: JBL GT) 329 (5 minutes to install each)

This sounds surprisingly good! Other than a few minutes dremeling the door enclosures to make them a bit larger, and very slight trimming of some plastic on the dash and rear panel enclosures, the whole thing was plug-and-play. I am so happy that I haven't spent the money to install all new amps and speakers.

Thanks for the great info! A few hundred dollars and an afternoon of work, and what a difference! Now maybe I will get the CAI kit so that I can have Sirius and bluetooth:

https://cai-store.com/products/porsc...rade-kit-98-02

Justin

Last edited by sd996tt; 05-25-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:47 PM
lgyee4
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I just upgraded to a double din Pioneer AVH4200 (Apple play, bluetooth, backup camera, etc) with Focal Amp and Speakers. HUGE difference. Byron at Seismic Autosound in Concord, CA fabbed up the amp brackets and mounts for the Focal speakers in the doors. Superior work and outcomes.

The Bose system was weak and underwhelming in comparison.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 PM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have pics of the GTO speakers installed in the dash pods?

lgyee4, which focal speakers did you go with?

I have 5 channel alpine amp and Pioneer DEH-80PRS....still with stock speakers. Time to make the final upgrade.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:10 PM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the GTO 328s in the dash and rear side panels and the GTO 528s in the sub box
Running an alpine head unit
Just have the 528s in the doors left to do

Not sure you'll see much of the fronts if I take a pic
They were real quick and easy to change ouT
Just needed small ratchet to get in at the torx bolts under the windshield

Agree that they vastly improve the sound
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by peteb3
I did the GTO 328s in the dash and rear side panels and the GTO 528s in the sub box
Running an alpine head unit
Just have the 528s in the doors left to do

Not sure you'll see much of the fronts if I take a pic
They were real quick and easy to change ouT
Just needed small ratchet to get in at the torx bolts under the windshield

Agree that they vastly improve the sound
I have a 2009 Carrera S, new to me as of April this year. Build sheet says it has the BOSE high end system, the installer said I do not have a sub woofer. I have been trying to figure this out, searching forums etc, can't seem to get a definitive answer. I just installed (not me personally) an Alpine INE 967, the blue tooth and navigation volume was so low I had them swap it out for the 957. We went through all of the menus, maxed out the volumes etc, still very, very low. The volume is much better but still low. Additionally the radio whether in SIRIUS, iPod or FM is still not that loud. If i drive with the windows open it isn't loud enough. I've been going through all of the menus, EQ settings etc. I am now considering new speakers, amps etc, getting quotes of $2 to $3K. Have you had the same issues and if so did the new speakers help? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM
DrBrain
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ox, do you have an external power amp? Your HU has 18 W peak, that might me not sufficient if you are driving the factory build in speakers with your HU only. Convertible and the coupe have subwoofers. In the convertible its in the passenger footwell next to the center console, in the coupe behind the rear seats.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

No external amp, the installer told me they are using the BOSE amp. I'll look for the sub behind the seats.

He also said I don't have a sub woofer, I thought that was odd. I need to gather all my information and go back, again. Surprised, it's a high end shop, Lambos, Ferraris, Bentleys, I don't think he really understands the 997 BOSE system.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Here is your system...

Ox,

Your 997 OEM Bose system is a 7 channel/13 speaker system. My best advice is to use the 6-channel preamp output of your Alpine system and feed two 4 channel Alpine amps. Don't use the speaker level outputs because at only 18 RMS, that's really not enough power to produce a nice sound over top of the ambient noise of the Porsche. (notice the location of the subs)

I wish you all the best!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 06-07-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:29 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a thread on this board that describes my recent upgrade of my '03 C2 Coupe with Bose CDR 23, including some crappy photos. I had installed an Alpine CDE-HD-149BT single DIN head unit, and an Alpine MRV-V500 power amp. I avoided double DIN units for safety reasons (distraction). I obtained full bluetooth functionality, multiple ways to stream, and cleaner sound.

I decided to see how I liked it, before deciding about speakers. When you combine functionality and sound, I think the smartest (best) expenditure is in the receiver/amp section, not the speakers. Even limiting it to sound, I don't think speakers are the weak link in this system, although I know that others feel differently. Where you should begin in upgrading a sound system depends on what you have to begin with, is how I have always viewed it.

We disconnected the rear panel speakers, so I am running the dash 2-ways, the door units, and the rear band-pass speakers. The improvement in sound is very noticeable, particularly the ability to dial in meaningful bass response. Maybe I will stick in a set (or two) of Focals in the front, at some point. It really isn't a priority, at the moment. Based on both sound quality and appearance, I have no intention of messing with the band-pass unit in the back. I see no reason at all. Or, I hear no reason at all.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:07 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by b3freak
Here is your system...

Ox,

Your 997 OEM Bose system is a 7 channel/13 speaker system. My best advice is to use the 6-channel preamp output of your Alpine system and feed two 4 channel Alpine amps. Don't use the speaker level outputs because at only 18 RMS, that's really not enough power to produce a nice sound over top of the ambient noise of the Porsche. (notice the location of the subs)

I wish you all the best!
Hope I didn't waste your time. I have been searching for answers to this and when I saw this I didn't notice it was a 996 forum. I thought I had struck gold. I'll continue my quest...
Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Ox
Hope I didn't waste your time. I have been searching for answers to this and when I saw this I didn't notice it was a 996 forum. I thought I had struck gold. I'll continue my quest...

Ox, if the installer used the Bose OEM amp, then you should be getting plenty of power to the OEM 997 speakers. However, if he bypassed the amp and used the 18 watt/ channel output of the Alpine HU, then I say... that's definitely the problem. The BOSE processor and amp require an optical digital signal from the HU and so I'm not completely sure how he got the Alpine's analog preamp output signal to the Bose system unless he's using an analog to digital optic conversion unit. That's possible.

He probably used a simple wiring harness kit with optical conversion like this...

http://www.carcommunications.co.uk/n...or-for-porsche

There are a few options to upgrading these systems, but if you're going to DIY, then you need to locate a proper wiring schematic of the audio system. Cheers!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Ox, if the installer used the Bose OEM amp, then you should be getting plenty of power to the OEM 997 speakers. However, if he bypassed the amp and used the 18 watt/ channel output of the Alpine HU, then I say... that's definitely the problem. The BOSE processor and amp require an optical digital signal from the HU and so I'm not completely sure how he got the Alpine's analog preamp output signal to the Bose system unless he's using an analog to digital optic conversion unit. That's possible.

He probably used a simple wiring harness kit with optical conversion like this...

There are a few options to upgrading these systems, but if you're going to DIY, then you need to locate a proper wiring schematic of the audio system. Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I have an appt at another shop on Thursday to have them look at the job the other guys did. If it's wrong, I'm going to see them about the bill, approximately $100 to check out the install. I've been back to the original installer twice and do not believe they understand this car. They keep telling me I don't have a sub woofer, I had a dealer check my VIN today, I do. Plus the phone and nav are almost inaudible, and the stereo (Sirius, Nav & iPod) just are'nt as loud as they should be. I'll keep you apprised. Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I have an appt at another shop on Thursday to have them look at the job the other guys did. If it's wrong, I'm going to see them about the bill, approximately $100 to check out the install. I've been back to the original installer twice and do not believe they understand this car. They keep telling me I don't have a sub woofer, I had a dealer check my VIN today, I do. Plus the phone and nav are almost inaudible, and the stereo (Sirius, Nav & iPod) just are'nt as loud as they should be. I'll keep you apprised. Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.
UPDATE: I brought the car to a different place for a second opinion. Bottom line, the original installer didn't know what he was doing, did not understand this car, everything now works, sounds the way I thought it should. Sub woofer works, all volume levels, radio sirius & fm, ipod, cd, nav, phone, all as loud as I want or need them to be. The installer told me, when you install a new HU in this car, the first thing you need to do is turn up the volume levels, fade settings, balance, sub woofer etc on the OLD radio and basically transfer them to teach the new fiber optic connection and the new radio. Wires were taped not soldered, sloppy work from the original installer. They also installed a piece that allows me to use the set up menu anytime I want as opposed to having to use a toggle switch located to the right of right leg. Couldn't be happier with the results. Prior to this, if I was driving with the windows down and the volume maxed out I could barely hear the radio etc, forget the nav. Tomorrow I'm going to take the bill to the original installer and tell him to do the right thing and cover the charges. He's been around 25+ years, has a stable of high end cars in his parking lot, I think he will do the right thing and cover the bill. I keep going back to several things I was originally told: the car does not have a sub woofer, the nav volume can not be any louder. It just didn't make any sense, evidently it did not.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:53 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

UPDATE: I brought the car to a different place for a second opinion. Bottom line, the original installer didn't know what he was doing, did not understand this car, everything now works, sounds the way I thought it should.
Congratulations! It always helps to have someone work on your car that knows exactly what to do RIGHT... and right the first time! I was shoutin' BS when you said that he told you there wasn't a subwoofer with the Bose system. I was thinking either someone removed it or he doesn't know what he's talking about. One of the best parts of the Porsche/Bose system is the sub system. But it's the Bose processor (i.e. compression, EQ, etc.) that really makes it shine. I didn't know about the need to recalibrate the Bose processor/amp because of the optical signal, but it makes sense. Glad you were in good hands!

How much did it set you back to fix the other person's mistake?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:26 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Congratulations! It always helps to have someone work on your car that knows exactly what to do RIGHT... and right the first time! I was shoutin' BS when you said that he told you there wasn't a subwoofer with the Bose system. I was thinking either someone removed it or he doesn't know what he's talking about. One of the best parts of the Porsche/Bose system is the sub system. But it's the Bose processor (i.e. compression, EQ, etc.) that really makes it shine. I didn't know about the need to recalibrate the Bose processor/amp because of the optical signal, but it makes sense. Glad you were in good hands!

How much did it set you back to fix the other person's mistake?
Thanks, and yes, the original person told me, yeah we've worked on a lot of 911s, makes me wonder what other people have accepted as "normal". I'm not that guy.

$400 labor (4 1/2 hours, I was there the whole time taking pictures), $39 for the set up piece to bypass the toggle, $20 wires/parts, plus 8.625% NYS tax, $498 out the door. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow when I present them the bill

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here