996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Stereo Upgrades in Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:17 AM
nymart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pioneer DEH-9400BH with an Alpine MX-VR70 in the frunk. Kept the stock Bose speakers for now. No real complaints other than the fact that I need to replace the Subs to actual subs, but can't find perfectly matching carpet for a new box.
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bal
I kept reading "iPod mini" and couldn't figure out (1) where it was (2) what the big deal was.
Having reread it I'm suitably impressed
Ahh yes big difference!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:37 AM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a Parrot Asteroid Smart... although my project isn't completed yet so I don't have photos, but here's why... it is an Android based unit, so you can install Torque - an application that connects via bluetooth to an OBDII adapter and can read out all the information your car can provide. Jump to minute 1:45 on this video:
Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the process of upgrading the Bose system in my 2004 996 40th AE. As others have written, the speakers are the weakest link in the Bose system. The best $250 I've spent on my car was buying new JBL GTO series speakers for front dash, door panels, rear and Bose sub speaker replacement. The 3.5 inch JBL coax speakers (GTO series) run at 2 ohms and are basically plug and play with the stock dash and rear speakers. I left the Bose tweeters in for now, but may take them out at some point.

I removed the Bose subwoofer box, and replaced the 2 5.25 inch bose woofers with 5.25 inch JBL (GTO Series) coax speakers and added some foam to the box and will dynamat the enclosure in the next few days as has been done by others. The results are impressive when listening to my iPod, even with no door speakers at this point. I have not yet decided which size JBL GTO door speakers to put in the front and passenger door (4, 5.25 or 6) - but I'm primarily looking for some additional punchy bass up front. [I ultimately put in the JBL GTO 5.25 inch coax 528 model in the doors]

The difference in clarity and lack of distortion compared to the Bose speakers is remarkable. I feel like I have a several thousand dollar aftermarket system in the car already with just these few changes. I will dynamat the front and passenger door, floors and rear over the next few weeks.

I will then decide on whether a new nav system is in order (Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer), and whether to go with an extra amp and/or DSP.

I received several quotes to do the entire job and it ranges from 3k to 6k. By just adding $250 worth of speakers (on sale on the web by the way for 50% off in some cases for the JBL 2 ohm GTO series), I think I could now justify having a professional install the amp and new head unit for much less.

I have always been a JBL and Alpine fan and these JBL speakers are excellent and a steal at current sale prices. I have the MoBridge for Ipod/Iphone installed and listen primarily to my iTunes music with the EQ set to flat.

Last edited by sds911; 03-04-2014 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sscottbutler (02-13-2023)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So you total spend was $250? Did you do the install yourself?
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Yes -- I ordered the JBL speakers from onlinecarstereo.com and they arrived in 2 days -- 2 sets of JBL GTO 328, 1 set of JBL GTO 528 for sub replacement and GTO 528 for the doors -- about $240.

I also ordered some other speakers for my GF's car from SonixElectronics.

If you can handle a screwdriver and ratchet, you can do this yourself as it is very simple to change out the dash, and bose sub speakers -- all you need is a ratchet and TORX set, philips head screw driver and a small pliers and small flat head screw driver (taped up) or plastic trim removal tools. I did all the speakers last night in a very short time. I pulled the door panels off too, but have not yet decided on what size to go with in the doors. If I go with 5.25 or 6, I will need to open the holes a bit on the stock plastic enclosure. [I installed the 5.25 JBL GTO 528 coax and used the dremel to open up the stock bose door box and used my own screws to bolt the speakers on to the plastic bose box and used a bit of dynamat as a surround.]

I'm waiting for my dynamat to be delivered, but honestly the improvement is substantial even without the dynamat. My ears do not hurt when I blast the stereo now on my 1.5 hour commute to work.

The doors will take a bit more work if you want to go with a larger speaker, and the door panels take a few more steps to remove -- but you can find the video at Bentley.com or on Rennlist.

Last edited by sds911; 03-04-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Great. So 4 speakers and sub replacement all plug n play? Looks factory?

Do you think the door speakers and tweeters will be just as easy if you don't go bigger than factory?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Yes all plug and play into factory speaker mounts for dash and rear and new speakers on Bose sub box screw right into mounting space 5.25 inch size. If you keep a 4 inch speaker in the doors you will need to cut apart the old speaker and use the teardrop plastic mount. I think there are a few older posts that describe the process. To add a 5.25 in the door panel, you will need to dremel some of the interior plastic from the stock bose speaker box in the doors. Also add some dynamat while you are at it.

Last edited by sds911; 03-04-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:10 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

The jbl gto 328 is a 3.5 inch coax with cone and tweeter. So you could just remove the Bose tweeter. You could replace it too with a separate but that would require a little splicing and solder.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sds911
I'm in the process of upgrading the Bose system in my 2004 996 40th AE. As others have written, the speakers are the weakest link in the Bose system. The best $250 I've spent on my car was buying new JBL GTO series speakers for front dash, rear and Bose sub speaker replacement. The 3.5 inch JBL coax speakers (GTO series) run at 2 ohms and are basically plug and play with the stock dash and rear speakers. I left the Bose tweeters in for now, but may take them out at some point.

I removed the Bose subwoofer box, and replaced the 2 5.25 inch bose woofers with 5.25 inch JBL (GTO Series) coax speakers and added some foam to the box and will dynamat the enclosure in the next few days as has been done by others. The results are impressive when listening to my iPod, even with no door speakers at this point. I have not yet decided which size JBL GTO door speakers to put in the front and passenger door (4, 5.25 or 6) - but I'm primarily looking for some additional punchy bass up front.

The difference in clarity and lack of distortion compared to the Bose speakers is remarkable. I feel like I have a several thousand dollar aftermarket system in the car already with just these few changes. I will dynamat the front and passenger door, floors and rear over the next few weeks.

I will then decide on whether a new nav system is in order (Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer), and whether to go with an extra amp and/or DSP.

I received several quotes to do the entire job and it ranges from 3k to 6k. By just adding $250 worth of speakers (on sale on the web by the way for 50% off in some cases for the JBL 2 ohm GTO series), I think I could now justify having a professional install the amp and new head unit for much less.

I have always been a JBL and Alpine fan and these JBL speakers are excellent and a steal at current sale prices. I have the MoBridge for Ipod/Iphone installed and listen primarily to my iTunes music with the EQ set to flat.
Just to check - you're driving all this through the Bose amp?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 PM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Yes, all driven off the stock Bose amp for now, but that may change when I put in the door speakers. The reason it works off the stock amp is b/c the JBL speakers are 2 ohm just like the bose speakers (and the other specs on these speakers, e.g., 91 sensitivity etc). The magnets on the JBL speakers actually are SMALLER than the Bose, but the upgrade in materials for the actual cones/tweeters makes it sound phenomenal. [The bose amp is running my dash, doors, rear and sub JBL's and they sound terrific].

Last edited by sds911; 03-04-2014 at 08:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ejsnow (10-31-2023)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sds911
Yes, all driven off the stock Bose amp for now, but that may change when I put in the door speakers. The reason it works off the stock amp is b/c the JBL speakers are 2 ohm just like the bose speakers (and the other specs on these speakers, e.g., 91 sensitivity etc). The magnets on the JBL speakers actually are SMALLER than the Bose, but the upgrade in materials for the actual cones/tweeters makes it sound phenomenal.
Thanks. The reason I ask is that I've ordered a Kenwood KDC-BT958HD head unit and the Metra 70-1787 harness. I've also ordered a variety of antenna converters. I am planning to use the RCA phono plugs on the harness to connect to the pre-amp outputs of the receiver and run everything through the Bose amplifier, leaving the speakers alone for now. Sounds like I should definitely consider the JBLs for a future upgrade especially given their ease of installation.

Couple of questions:
1. What antenna plug is in the car? It would need to be adapted to a Motorola one to go into the Kenwood (or most other head units I guess)
2. Any recommendations on microphone placement in a convertible for the Bluetooth telephony microphone? I'm probably just going to have it near the instrument cluster or center console. My expectation is that it is going to be poor to useless for telephony anyway (compared to a Bluetooth headset.)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

sda911, how do you remove the sub box?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

You mentioned my thread in the 6speed forum, but here's my '04 C2.

My car started life with the base (non-Bose) audio, relocated the HVAC controls and a new pioneer head unit to the lower console, custom fit an ipad mini into the dash, and replaced the speakers (check for another recent thread in this forum).

My primary focus wasn't trying to achieve amazing SQ, the car is just too noisy and I have little interest in adding the weight of heavy amps, subwoofers, etc., but I wanted a modern dash with an internet connected GPS/traffic system (Waze is awesome), be able to stream music, and have bluetooth phone capability. Mission accomplished, and not in that GWB sort of way...

Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My install

I did mine the budget way: Moved the heater controls to the bottom, installed an Alpine CD player just above it, and put a flat Lexan panel in the space above. I fashioned my own trim ring around the heater/stereo controls using a Dremel. That was a LOT of work. Then I purchased Ipad Mini and Iphone suction cup mounts and put them on the Lexan panel. I bought the wifi OBDII interface, and I run the DashCmd app on the Ipad mini. The girl I'm dating says it looks like something out of Star Trek. haha. It helps out greatly when the temps start creeping up above 200. I just turn on the A/C and that second fan brings the temps back in check. I think I spent about $80 for everything (including $45 for the old Alpine, the butane soldering iron and Lexan panels). The sound is leaps and bounds above what the factory CR-210 pushed out. I found out that the previous owner had some nice components installed in the doors and rear quarter panels. It gave me new appreciation for my car.
See my dropbox folder for install pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sjz0xesxsvew51o/fOAGlBDTjY

Quick Reply: 996 Stereo Upgrades in Here