Sponsored by:

Build Log: NineEreven Turbo NB

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Log: NineEreven Turbo NB

I am creating this thread to consolidate everything I am doing going NA-T and track conversion. I want to separate it from my intro thread in case people ever want to search it. The goal is 425+ whp in streetable power that I can take to the track. This will be a pic heavy thread (FYI) with updates and questions, so stay tuned if I hit a snag haha.

Parts List:

Engine:
TPC Tune - Installed
TPC Turbo - Installed
TPC Exhaust Manifolds - Installed
TPC WasteGate - Installed
TPC DP/Exhaust - In Parts Bin - Awaiting Muffler Removal
TPC intake hoses - Installed
TPC water>Air IC - Installed
Oil Feed Lines - Installed - (minor oil leak on return, working on fix)
Colder 996tt plugs - Installed
Serpentine Belt - Installed
GT3 front 3rd radiator - Installed
Replace OIL and Coolant Fluids - In Parts Bin

Transmisison:
Upgraded Clutch - Undecided (Recommendations?)
Custom SSK - R&D phase

Interior:
Sparco Harness Bar - Awaiting Purchase
4pt Harnesses - Awaiting Purchase
Race Seats (Undecided)

Suspension:
D2R Coilovers (Installed)
D2R Endlinks and bushings (Installed)

Aero:
997GT3 Front Bumper - Awaiting Paint
996GT3RS Rear Decklid and Wing - Awaiting Paint
Carbon Splitter - Molded, awaiting cut and mounting (After Paint)

Wheel & Tire:

Wheels - Undecided
Tires - Nitto NT01

Whats creating a thread without posting some pics?

Here is the car awaiting installation, it has been torn apart with no intake pieces or exhaust pieces left. First steps are to drop motor and remove muffler brackets, install larger injectors, change plugs, and remove a damn bolt i broke in the exhaust side of the head when removing the heaers!

Here is a majority of the kit that came into my work, you can see the molded carbon behind it that will become the front splitter.

and the snail going on...

More to come later today

Last edited by NineEreven; 02-03-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

awesome.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Err are you doing a simple bolt on?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Will no doubt be an interesting thread.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roadsession
awesome.
Thanks, should be a lot of fun

Originally Posted by halik
Err are you doing a simple bolt on?
Yes and no, most of the parts came from a bolt on kit because it makes sense to pick those up. Custom parts or one off turbo bits for this car are pretty hard to find. I will eventually be cutting up the kit, removing cats, mufflers, more boost, and going e85. The first "phase" as you could call it is getting the car running on 93 octane with the bolt on kit first.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

following this build.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by white out
following this build.
Same!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

WOW that's a big DIY project with lots of parts, but the end results will be incredible for sure... Is the turbo just bolt on or do you need to also work on the engine compression?
Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed you speced a harness bar and 4 point harnesses. If you are going to track the car most organizations require 5-6 point harnesses. These would provide anti-submarine protection in the event of a crash.
If you just plan on street driving the car be sure your harnesses are DOT approved in case you are ever pulled over.
Also using a harness bar instead of at least a roll bar would allow the roof to collapse while you are held in your seat which would subject you to severe neck/spinal injury. I know roll bars/cages are a pain to use in a car you drive on the street but if you plan on using harnesses and race seats have rollover protection. Several forum members run their cars with just a harness bar ( as have I in the past) but I have seen damage first hand from a rollover at a trackday and I would not take that chance. Track driving is all about risk management keep that in mind as you proceed with your project.

Looks like you will soon have a fast fun car!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by white out
following this build.
Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Same!
Thanks guys! I opted out of the LS swap for now (I bugged white out about it) but will always revisit it come worst case scenario lol

Originally Posted by Botsy67
WOW that's a big DIY project with lots of parts, but the end results will be incredible for sure... Is the turbo just bolt on or do you need to also work on the engine compression?
I am leaving the engine compression factory for now. I will in time when I upgrade cams and pull the heads, but I dont want to get wrapped up in some build project that will take months to do. Incremental changes so I dont grow old of the car like I have with ones in my past.

Originally Posted by bornrich
I noticed you speced a harness bar and 4 point harnesses. If you are going to track the car most organizations require 5-6 point harnesses. These would provide anti-submarine protection in the event of a crash.
If you just plan on street driving the car be sure your harnesses are DOT approved in case you are ever pulled over.
Also using a harness bar instead of at least a roll bar would allow the roof to collapse while you are held in your seat which would subject you to severe neck/spinal injury. I know roll bars/cages are a pain to use in a car you drive on the street but if you plan on using harnesses and race seats have rollover protection. Several forum members run their cars with just a harness bar ( as have I in the past) but I have seen damage first hand from a rollover at a trackday and I would not take that chance. Track driving is all about risk management keep that in mind as you proceed with your project.

Looks like you will soon have a fast fun car!

I have future intentions of going to a full cage, however this season I am only doing a handful of track events it isnt such a priority. The roll bar, seats and harnesses are mainly to prevent me from sliding around in the stock seats and keep me strapped in better. I will look into doing a 5 or 6 point harness for the track, but I ran 4pt in my M3 and no one ever said anyting. Just mostly DE events.

As for many things, I dont usually bring them up until I am ready to pull the trigger on them or have questions. I dont like to say "yea I am going to do XYZ" and then take 5 years to do them. I try not to bench race if you know what I mean, and so I dont bench "mod" either haha.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Finally something worth following.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:37 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Imo000
Finally something worth following.
Hopefully I will have some updates here tonight. I got a UPS notice of a package delivered today!
Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Should be interesting. Porsche tried turbo charging these inexpensive m96 engines but they would always always fail and they had to continue using the expensive Mezger until the 9A1 was designed and tested on eventually made it in the 997.2 tt.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
NineEreven
Rennlist Member

Initially most of the guess work was taken out by TPC, so I dont plan on hitting too many snags early on. I think going to E85 with a custom tune will be the first hurdle that isnt a common move for these cars. I MAY stay with meth and go that route mainly for more "safety/breathing" room.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Bisimoto has had success with getting big power out of the M96. Their twin-turbo M96-powered 964 puts down around 700 horsepower.

Of course, it's far more than just a plain-Jane M96 with some turbos strapped on, but just sayin'.

Quick Reply: Build Log: NineEreven Turbo NB