Sponsored by:

IMS Guardian - Sump plug Crack

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:54 PM
maor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Guardian - Sump plug Crack

Has this happened to anyone? Happened before I went away on holiday and just got around to posting about this now.

I had an IMS Guardian installed. There was a leak coming from the sump plug, on undoing the plug it cracked

It's been a couple of weeks now and I can't even find the plug to take pictures but it was all very weird.

Bought the kit from an official distributor in the UK like 6 months ago.

I remember installing it and definitely torquing correctly. Searching hasn't revealed anything though.

Are there spare plugs available?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:32 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

We can supply a replacement plug. We haven't had any of these units crack unless they saw off-track events that typically take out the sump plate regardless.

Just email mud@rabyenginedevelopment.com for support. We have you covered.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,817 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Is it the epoxy material inside the plug that cracked?

I'm sure Jake will take care of you whatever the issue...

I think the Guardian is a very under-appreciated product. It's comparatively inexpensive and (hopefully?) very effective in catching IMS bearing failures in the the early stages before any engine damage is done.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:33 PM
maor
Advanced

Yeah I emailed and I keep getting an error

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

mud@rabyenginedevelopment.com

Is there another email address?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Damn spell correct got me. Should be jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com
We will be closed tomorrow due to the weather.. FYI
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 PM
tks12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Damn spell correct got me. Should be jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com
We will be closed tomorrow due to the weather.. FYI
2.8 degrees yesterday here! the inside of my truck froze and would not allow the heater door to open to heat the can until today! I have never seen that before!

Tom
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 PM
maor
Advanced

Pfft, called my mechanic and he couldn't find the cracked sump plug.

Torqued to 37ft like the manual when it should actually be 19ft according to Jake Raby.

$120 for a new plug. Not sure who the developer/manufacturer of this kit is but least professional IMO. Can't even get your own instructions correct with the torque and then when it breaks it's ludicrously expensive for a new one.

Quick google and I wasn't the only one with a leak.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...g-leaking.html
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

We have no problem replacing your unit as it is still under warranty.

Just email me the address and we'll take care of it, to include the shipping.

I did not find a warranty card on file for your unit, but we'll still make it good. No worries.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am glad this was brought up. I was one of the early buyers of the system on this sites early buy in. At my last oil change I noted that the plug had taken a pretty serious hit. I don't track my car. I can offer a picture if needed but is there a lower profile plug now offered or a replacement that can be offered?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The MCD units are very robust and out of hundreds of units sold we've only had two killed by road hazards, one of which was from a serious off highway experience that wiped out the entirety of the sump plate. One of those was seriously bent and still didn't leak.

I have not needed to offer another updated unit, but something lower profile could be a possibility through new connector technology.

We can supply replacement sensors, but out of all the units in circulation I think we've only sold 5-6 replacement MCD units. Thats pretty good, considering how many people take their car to "Jiffy Lube".
Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response. I take mine to Ronny lube. Mine got damaged on the road somehow...I don't know how. How would I go about getting a new one for the next oil change?

Thx Ron
Old 01-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

LN Engineering has replacement MCDs in stock. Here we only Mfr the systems and I halted all retail sales a while back. If anyone has a warranty issue, we take care of that as we hold the Warranty registrations and etc here, anyone who wants to purchase a replacement sensor would need to contact LN. Unless its a complete engine, we don't sell it here anymore... No time! :-)
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by maor
Not sure who the developer/manufacturer of this kit is but least professional IMO.
Lol. I think someone just proved you wrong. I don't understand the need to bash on a public forum before trying to have it resolved privately.

I also don't understand your post as you say you had it installed, then you say YOU installed it, then you say your MECHANIC couldn't find the leak.

It's not too hard to google IMS Guardian and get to the Flat 6 website to obtain the proper contact info.

I'm not defending Jake or the product but I think there are better ways to approach these situations.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The OP had contacted us and we were in the middle if dialogue about the root cause of the issue. I had asked for photos as I believe the issue is occurring at the sealing surface. I had not gotten those.

We asked me how much a new sensor was and I told him, he never asked me to replace it, because it hadn't gotten that far yet.

It's a warranty item and I never intended to charge him, we don't sweat the small stuff and just do what's right, as long as the person on the other end is fair and respectful.

That's all.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 PM
maor
Advanced

Can I just buy one of these. I think I've been strung along for 7 months now and I'd rather just buy one instead of wait for a "replacement" one.

Quick Reply: IMS Guardian - Sump plug Crack