996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

detachable hardtop query

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

check out post #23 here for the new vs. old type of mounts to make sure you bought the correct matching hardware
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...a-997-a-2.html

In case you have not seen this, good DIY to retrofit the hardware to your car: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-a-997-a.html

P.S. I have a spare Porsche hardtop stand and cover for sale in case you're interested
Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Allen tool

Definitely acquire an official OEM Allen wrench; they're cool; and install a ceiling hoist in your garage to facilitate storage and installation/removals. With some practice, placement and removal is a one person task. (FYI-the aluminum hardtops weigh about 75 lbs.)

relinuca
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Dave Fox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. Alas, my automatic garage doors preclude a hoist. Would otherwise rig one, certain-sure. Thanks for the offer, but I've a cradle stand left over from my last ride (an '05 Thunderbird), which I believe will work. The fellow from whom I'm obtaining the hardtop (from an '04, same year as mine) states everything that should be there is there. I'm presuming it has the bayonet rear attachments: he didn't upgrade. He's even got the wrench. I was the only bidder on eBay, and snagged this top for $200(!), so I hope it works out. I'm riding down with a trucker-buddy, perhaps just after Christmas, for pick up. Delivering North Carolina apples to the Miami area and bringing back produce and the hardtop. 1,500 miles round trip. Sleep in the cab and wee-wee in a Gatorade bottle. Geez, the things car guys will do. Shall report updates and learn to post pictures for the reading-impaired.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:27 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Fox
I was the only bidder on eBay, and snagged this top for $200(!), so I hope it works out.
$200? That's outstanding!

FWIW, I am completely sold on the hardtop ... I was out today in 35 - 40 degrees and intermittent rain. The car was warm, dry, and quiet. My bad-weather car is an AWD SUV, but the hardtop and snow tires make the 996 much more of an all season driver.

Somewhat off topic, my one other piece of winter gear was a set of Lloyd Rubbertite floor mats. They're not heavy duty floor liners, but the fit is good, they look OK, they keep a lot of crud off the floors, and they were only about $50 for the fronts.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 AM
tdurden032
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave fox, nice job landing the top for $200 - let us know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: detachable hardtop query