Sponsored by:

detachable hardtop query

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Dave Fox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detachable hardtop query

Just purchased an '04 Carrera cabriolet hardtop delete, my first Porsche-ah (am retraining my pronunciation), as a 70th birthday present to myself. Since it lacks a hardtop, I want one. Just acquired ownership of one, also from an '04, from eBay. Received a set of the car body female anchor hardware by UPS today. The top is in another state. I've a trucker buddy who makes runs down there (Miami) and can pick the hardtop up. However, I wouldn't mind the drive this time of year. Question: would this otherwise sound hardtop be a snap-on fit such that there would be little risk in driving my Porsche-ah down and bringing the top back affixed to the car? I'm moderately clever in some things. Mechanics isn't one of them. Thanks! Dave Fox, North Carolina
Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to make sure your car has the two anchor receptacles installed and your front latching mechanism is in place at the top of the windshield, you will also need the proper Allen key wrench to lock down the two rear anchor pins once the hard top is in place.

Yes it should be little risk, however you may not want to take the chance something goes awry when you try to fit the sight-unseen hard top, that's the last thing you need while out of state, especially when you have the option from your buddy to bring it for you.

I would forgo the risk and get your buddy to bring it to you.

Last edited by aviography; 12-21-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:00 AM
Dave Fox
Advanced

Whoa! THAT gets my attention. Is the front locking mechanism on a hardtop-delete 2004 different than one equipped from Stuttgart with a hardtop? Please tell me there's no difference!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 AM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

Hey Dave, where did you find the hardtop? I am also looking for one for my 02 Cab that I purchased a couple of weeks ago for my Mid Life Crisis. I am also that magic age of 70. I am in Fl. Keys.
rbc
Old 12-21-2013, 12:19 AM
aviography
Drifting

Shouldn't be, but it's not the kind of things you want to assume then find out to be contrary.

That said, I have not yet read anyone having issues with the front locking latch when they bought a hardtop from someone else when their own car did not come with one, so it's probably pretty safe.

All I'm saying is that you have self-proclaimed to be not proficient in mechanical side of things, do you really want to gamble not running into any issues two states away, when you have a viable and maybe even free option to have the hardtop brought to you, so you can sort out any issues that do come up locally at your convenience and leisure?

BTW, we need to see pix of your and rbs123's new acquisitions, else you WILL get the dreaded "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pix" mob ganging up all over you.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 AM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

Dave, reread your post. You did say you bought on ebay.

rbc
Old 12-21-2013, 12:29 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

This thread is worthless without pics.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by kcattorney
This thread is worthless without pics.
See? I told you so!!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 AM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

OK so here's a picture.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2013, 08:31 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Dave, I remind buyers of hardtops to also get the following (very UNLIKELY to come with the hardtop)
* front latch cover
* cover for rear mounts (#7 and #8 in diagram below)

* plastic piece that goes over the mounting holes (see pic below)

Last but not least, make sure the rear defogger in the top works.

P.S. Sounds like you already checked the mounts on the top and bought the correct/matching hardware for your car.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Dave Fox
Advanced

It took a long-suffering granddaughter a world of sighs and eye-rolling to teach me to post a photo on Facebook, a place she was responsible for my being, anyway. You show me a tutorial on photo posting on this site understandable to my Yorkie, and I'll essay posting a photo.
Are the odd bits mentioned above necessary for top installation or are they eyewash? Is it the consensus that a hardtop delete '04 cabriolet will tolerate, without modification beyond adding the rear body attachment points, attachment of a hardtop?
I'm pretty-much resigned to having the top trucked up here (for free!) so it can be sorted out by a guy with "Porsche" embroidered on his work shirt. Arguments above make good sense, photos or no.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 AM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave Fox
It took a long-suffering granddaughter a world of sighs and eye-rolling to teach me to post a photo on Facebook, a place she was responsible for my being, anyway. You show me a tutorial on photo posting on this site understandable to my Yorkie, and I'll essay posting a photo.
I actually just posted the below instruction in another thread:

When you open a new post or reply, click the "Go Advanced" button, you should then see a paperclip sign near top of the edit screen, click that, and then click "browse", then navigate to the directory on your hard drive, then select the image, then click "Upload".
So let's see some pix.

Are the odd bits mentioned above necessary for top installation or are they eyewash? Is it the consensus that a hardtop delete '04 cabriolet will tolerate, without modification beyond adding the rear body attachment points, attachment of a hardtop?
I would estimate a solid 80% probability you should not have an issue once the receptacles are installed, but do keep in mind there are two types of pin and receptacles, I am not totally up to speed on that since my came with the hardtop so everything was working already.

I'm pretty-much resigned to having the top trucked up here (for free!) so it can be sorted out by a guy with "Porsche" embroidered on his work shirt. Arguments above make good sense, photos or no.
Smart move, it's the prudent approach and that's what I would do without any reservation.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:33 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The latch cover is cosmetic, though the latch is somewhat unsightly without the cover. My hardtop didn't come with it, and I haven't decided if I think it's worth the $70 to get one.

The few hardtops I'd looked at for sale all included the pieces labelled 7 and 8 on the diagram, so when I bought my hardtop it had never occurred to me that they might not be included. Fortunately, they were. From looking at several hardtops for sale on eBay, it seems as though these pieces are much more likely to be included than the latch cover. You could use the hardtop without them, but it would be pretty ugly.

From what I've read, I'd concur with the previous poster ... add the receiver mount kit to your car (and your hardtop, if it has the older style mounts) and you should be good to go.

Last edited by KoB; 12-21-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-21-2013, 03:01 PM
jwex16
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Parts 7 and8 look like speaker grills and are attached so they will be there. You use your round caps on these to cover the access for the wrench which is only a allen fitting. No need to buy their tool. Search the size. Maybe a 6 or 7 mm. The front latch cover is almost no ever with the top and costs a lot. Nice but not necessary. Same with the little half circle pieces. They are protection for the canvas is you are careless lining up the back on installation.

Top takes 5 minutes to install.

Any one have an extra front latch cover they would sell?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Whoa! THAT gets my attention. Is the front locking mechanism on a hardtop-delete 2004 different than one equipped from Stuttgart with a hardtop? Please tell me there's no difference!

The front is the same as the soft top latches on. The rears could be:
1) missing because of the delete.
2) Bayonet type. Standard for your 2004
3) Changed to the updated screw type.

Attached is a pic of the 6MM allen tool
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: detachable hardtop query