Sponsored by:

There's a steak in my pants...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There's a steak in my pants...

So, a good friend and I are sitting on reserve in Los Angeles (El Segundo) and decide to pop across the street to Ralphs' groceries to nab some steaks for the grill. I think they were Ribeyes'...
We are to cross the road (Sepulveda, aka PCH) back to our apartment and my buddy suggests we just scoot across now...aka jaywalk.
Sure, fine...and we disregard the "Cross at Intersections" signs and just run. 3 steps past the median my buddy sees the El Segundo Popo making a speedy U-turn to ticket us.
Naturally, we aren't interested in paying a ticket, so we run for the Hacienda Hotel parking lot in our hopes of evading said Popo.

Bad news: we are now trapped in a completely fenced-in parking lot with only 2 ways in/out. We duck, dodge, evade and scurry through the lot whilst the Popo is doing laps around the lot waiting to nab us as we exit...but he can only cover one gate at a time until backup arrives (another black-and-white and TWO motorcycle Popo)
We time our exit and blast through the front gate and sprint for the hotel lobby...then hide amongst the guests for 15 minutes.

Popo has the whole hotel complex surrounded, with each Popo cruising slowly around the complex in a wagon-train waiting...

We remove our jackets, (off-duty, plain clothes) I pull off my glasses and untuck my shirt...and jam my ribeye down my pants. (2 old guys running with plastic grocery bags = easy targets)
We time our exit with the exactness of achieving a lunar orbit...
and shoot across another street to our apartment.

Our roommates saw the whole thing from our balcony- we are now famous...all over a jaywalking infraction.

The old adage must be true: it's not the crime itself...it's when you run.

It was awesome. I saw a 996 in the parking lot we were trapped in...I had to laugh.

Merry Christmas fellas-
lol
Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Too funny! 4 police units over 2 guys jaywalking. Must be a slow crime day in SoCal. I gotta ask, just how old are you guys?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:20 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Yeah...I know.
Too old to be dodging the cops...we're both airline captains.
lol
I'm 52, he's 46
I wish I had the video of that...hilarious.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Love this story! Glad you didn't get caught.

They probably thought you were high profile criminals that have more to hide than a steak in your pocket. After all, only poor people and criminals walk in LA...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:02 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Yeah. It's a short walk from our apartment to the grocery store. We could have driven as I have a car out here in LA, but would take longer.
We buy food over there all the time, but I don't typically jaywalk. However, I see dozens cross that street
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 AM
fmmoto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story! Good thing the K9 cops were not chasing you; the steak in the pants would have given you up.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too funny. How were the steaks?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Well done!! I think I stayed at the hotel for a week, 2 years ago. It's spitting distance from LAX.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:43 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Sadly my previous city I lived in did issue jaywalking citations to pedestrians.

Great story, I wish there was some video footage with narration.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:09 AM
TSMacNeil
Racer

I know. The parking lot we were trapped in has signs saying it's under surveillance
I'd pay for that video if true.
None of my idiot roommates turned on a camera
Derp
Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

move to NYC, steak will cost 3x times but no jaywalking tickets ever
Old 12-16-2013, 01:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

OK, since you're both airline pilots, I'll assume you're both former military. If so, which branch?

Also, Google Earth is an amazing thing. I had to go look. Looks like the hotel parking lot where you guys evaded to is a two-tier affair with lots of bushes and trees. I can just imagine two 50 year old guys dodging around in there.

I see a couple of apartment buildings to the west across Indiana, I assume that was the safe house?

If you guys were military pilots, I guess that SERE training finally paid off. The cops had no chance of catching you guys, and even if they had, with that training, they never would've gotten anything out of you (other than name, rank & serial number).
Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

LOL
Yep. That's exactly the scene of the crime. Our advantage was that we stayed in the upper tier, so we had a visual advantage over him down below on Indiana Ave.
Turns out, the motorcycle cops were able to get under the gate arm into the lower level. Fortunately, we were on our way to the lobby when they got under the gate.
Yes, "Stable One" is an apartment right behind it on Indiana.
Nice detective work.
Lol
Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Nice work ! El Segundo motorcycle cops are ruthless! I lived in MB for 10 years & worked in El Segundo (The Mayberry of LA co.) @ Pelican Parts. Had to set my cruise control on the low speedlimit while in EL Seg.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Litesonic
Pro

so many funny parts... the use of "whilst" and Popo in the same sentence... classic.

Quick Reply: There's a steak in my pants...