Ln engenieering failure posibilities

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:10 AM
Crossfire
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ln engenieering failure posibilities

I have an 99 3.4 Carrera, My mileage is 32k,

I had months of searching about these theme Step by Step, so went i deside to do it, my mechanic "With a good reputation in puerto rico an Porsche owners" tells me that I should leave the car as is, because Retrofiting can cause a failure that is a Gamble once these bearing is out..

"Keeping in mind that he gets paid for these, he tells me to enyoy the car and don't do it"

These is driving me nuts, My car runs perfectly i just dont want any problem related to this ims crap.

Did somebody had any issue with LN ENGENIEERING RETROFIT ? DOBLE ROW ECT?

Last edited by Crossfire; 10-15-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Wrong title
Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

32,000/14= 2,285 miles/year.Your mechanic is right, you need to go and drive and enjoy your car more.

If IMS bearing is bothering you, replace it. People replaced them, and their engines work.

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 10-15-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 99 Carrera with double race bearing. Mine has almost 66000 miles on it and the same bearing is in which left the factory in Stuttgart. It will stay that way unless I find metal bits in my oil filter. I have cut open 6 filters so far and all are very very clean.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

Good God! Another IMSB thread! If you are going to torture your mind with thoughts about imminent IMSB failure, then honestly - get rid of the car. All cars have problems, so just go out and drive it. Mine is a 99 C2 w/127,000+ miles, well maintained, no IMSB retrofit, usual other broken parts, daily driver rain or shine. Love to get up in the morning, fire up the Porsche and head out for the day. But seriously, if you are never going to enjoy your Porsche because your mind is transfixed on what might or might not happen, just sell the car and get over it. It's a car...albeit a great one, but still just a car.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, I have yet to find another make car that has a known "achilles heel" that appears more prone to failure on low mileage cars, which when it goes, takes the entire motor with it at a cost of upwards of $15k, and which the manufacturer recently settled a class action law suit as a result. The truth is the decision regarding whether or not to do the IMS upgrade is best made after educating yourself thoroughly on the subject, probably by doing a search on this forum followed by lots and lots of reading. I would personally never tell someone to ignore the issue.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Crossfire
3rd Gear

Thanks all for your response, Defineitly I would do the upgrade no matter what he says...
Old 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM
caperss
Intermediate

Its a bit more money but I had the solution done. No more ball bearing to worry about. Its done forever and now I drive it like I stole it and I'm not worried about that destructive bearing starting to gall.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change oil once a year .. Get oil analyzed and inspect filter. Wait until you need clutch or rms to do bearing .. Pulled mine out at 63k .. It was fine ... Go drive and enjoy ...
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Oil analysis won't help determine an impending IMS failure unless you do a particle size and density count which isn't part of a standard oil analysis. More frequent oil changes along with inspection of the filter media and magnetic drain plug (if fitted). It's also recommended that the oil pan is removed to inspect for debris. There is more than an IMS bearing to worry about. Looking in the sump is akin to looking into the heart and soul of your M96's engine.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 AM
sds911
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Charles: Do you (or Jake) have any pictures of the magnetic drain plug with enough debris to send up a red flag? I have the LN magnetic drain plug, so far it is relatively clean for each oil change. Assuming something went wrong (e.g., some of the pictures Jake posted on metal parts in the sump etc.) will the magnetic drain plug actually attract those parts, or will they sink to the bottom of the sump? Same question with respect to the IMS Guardian.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He lives in PR. How do you expect him to put on a lot of miles?
Old 11-08-2013, 12:12 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Good God! Another IMSB thread! If you are going to torture your mind with thoughts about imminent IMSB failure, then honestly - get rid of the car. All cars have problems, so just go out and drive it. Mine is a 99 C2 w/127,000+ miles, well maintained, no IMSB retrofit, usual other broken parts, daily driver rain or shine. Love to get up in the morning, fire up the Porsche and head out for the day. But seriously, if you are never going to enjoy your Porsche because your mind is transfixed on what might or might not happen, just sell the car and get over it. It's a car...albeit a great one, but still just a car.
Get used to it. As long as used 996s come up for sale, new owners will find their way to this site and inquire about IMS bearings. Sure, some will search first but there is nothing wrong with a new owner wanting to learn about his/her new (used) car. As long as everyone is welcoming to new users of Rennlist this site and its members will benefit. New IMS posts will continue on for years.

If the internet was around in the '70s people would have logged on asking about pulled head studs over and over...
Old 11-08-2013, 12:21 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Get used to it. As long as used 996s come up for sale, new owners will find their way to this site and inquire about IMS bearings. Sure, some will search first but there is nothing wrong with a new owner wanting to learn about his/her new (used) car. As long as everyone is welcoming to new users of Rennlist this site and its members will benefit. New IMS posts will continue on for years.

If the internet was around in the '70s people would have logged on asking about pulled head studs over and over...
nicely said
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS

...or collapsed chain tensioners or worn out valve guides or warped mag cases or blown air boxes or leaking head/cylinder joints or rusted out front pans or collapsed torsion tubes or...
Old 11-08-2013, 01:02 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
...or collapsed chain tensioners or worn out valve guides or warped mag cases or blown air boxes or leaking head/cylinder joints or rusted out front pans or collapsed torsion tubes or...
Exactly.

Quick Reply: Ln engenieering failure posibilities