996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C4S or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:20 AM
944visage
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow....Hyper911, Hardback, halo777, and silotwo post's above scare the blank out of me and am so sorry to read this examples of early engine failure on C4S cars and am worried just after was on a great vibe the last 10 weeks since bought my 1st 911. Good luck to all in current engine trouble and you might help us all out by starting new threads discussing your case studies so we can all learn from what you learn and how we might move forward and how much it might cost us in the event of the same misfortune you guys are going thru now.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch Leland
For what's it's worth, my decision would be the Turbo because I "think" it's a more reliable engine. The Turbo is a different engine and doesn't have the IMS, intermix problem... or like was said earlier get the IMS fix done prior to buying the car, or set aside the $2,500-$3,000 now for the possibility of having to make the repair.

The Turbo engine was an air cooled engine that was redesigned as a water cooled engine. I might not have that just right, but the Turbo engine has its origins as an air cooled engine. The air cooled engines were bullet proof...
The air cooled engines were far from bulletproof.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

^ Exactly! But the GT1 blocks are more reliable than the M96/97s. So where does that rank the 996 and 997 engines. That is the point.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are not planning to hold onto the car forever, it is my belief that even a automatic turbo will hold its value better than a manual trans C4S.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I will start a new thread on mine. Just wanted to share as I never thought it would happen to me. Best of luck with the decision. The 996 is a far superior car in many ways to previous 911's but the engine shortcomings need to be addressed. They can be address and provide a stout motor, but at a cost that, if you do not already have one, does not make sense.

Originally Posted by 944visage
Wow....Hyper911, Hardback, halo777, and silotwo post's above scare the blank out of me and am so sorry to read this examples of early engine failure on C4S cars and am worried just after was on a great vibe the last 10 weeks since bought my 1st 911. Good luck to all in current engine trouble and you might help us all out by starting new threads discussing your case studies so we can all learn from what you learn and how we might move forward and how much it might cost us in the event of the same misfortune you guys are going thru now.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 PM
hules98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
If you are not planning to hold onto the car forever, it is my belief that even a automatic turbo will hold its value better than a manual trans C4S.
really? im surprised i would think the opposite. i want to really thank everyone for your insight i know you guys have been asked these questions for years so thanks for taking the time.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

my c4s engine just went. Diagnosing failure now ., driven as a Porsche should
Thats bad news, Im sorry but could you please explain what happened?

To the OP: The Tip trans is a real POS. Please look at the design and how it works. You will quickly forget that idea and get the 6 speed. JMHO of course.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

To the OP: The Tip trans is a real POS. Please look at the design and how it works. You will quickly forget that idea and get the 6 speed. JMHO of course.
Good grief. Another stupid, baseless KrazyK assertion. You don't get to say something like that with an easy out "JMHO" crap. If you're going to help owners / potential owners - stick with the facts.

The 996 Tips come in two flavors - Mk1 and Mk2 cars. Mk1 made by ZF and Mk2 made by Mercedes Benz. The Mk2 Mercedes Benz sourced Tip is probably the most bullet proof high performance automatic transmission in the market. It was designed originally for their AMG cars and Porsche sourced it first for the 2001 Turbo and then used it for all Mk2 Tip 996 cars. It is one of the fastest shifting auto transmissions of its time with a myriad of adaptive programs.

You can have your personal preference for 6 speed, but for many commuters who use their cars as DD (unlike you who bought a 996 to be too scared to drive it) - a Tip 996 is really a great option to consider.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Thats bad news, Im sorry but could you please explain what happened?

I have to interject, Hurley Haywood saying he preferred the tip to manual.

Taken from the 996 tt tiptronic, later 997 tt tiptronic was faster then the manual. Today the 991 GT3 and Turbo doesn't even have a manual option.

source

After driving the Turbo with a manual transmission, I stepped into the Turbo with the Tiptronic. Personally, I prefer a traditional manual transmission in a car like this, but the new Tiptronic S in the Turbo has made believers out of many who have driven it, including Hurley Haywood who said he preferred the Tiptronic to the manual transmission.

The new Tiptronic S can be shifted manually by pressing on the up/down buttons on the steering wheel spokes, but Hurley advised me not to use them – just let the transmission do the shifting. In many ways, the Tiptronic imitates how a driver would shift with a manual transmission. When accelerating hard, the Tiptronic waits until the engine reaches redline before shifting, and won’t automatically shift up if you coast for a few moments. As you brake, the transmission shifts down one gear at a time, anticipating the need for more engine revs as you exit the next corner.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of the Tiptronic is that it allows the driver to keep both hands on the wheel which allows him/her to drive more smoothly and more safely. The driver can focus on steering and braking – in racing this can reduce lap times, and on the road, it increases safety by reducing the number of tasks the driver has to concentrate on.

Porsche’s own track tests at Mission indicated that the Tiptronic-equipped Turbo will post faster lap times than the manual-equipped Turbo.
there is no cool aid icon
Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
They have their problems as well but the absolute worst case scenario air cooled engine failure would have you getting a top-end job.

I really like the 996 and would love to own a C4S (one of the best looking 911s ever) but sudden "Complete and Catastrophic Failure" leaves me a bit cold.

Last edited by KNS; 10-19-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:43 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Guys are getting 600, 700 hp out of these 996 tt 3.6l engines with out blowing up. No they are not bullet proof.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:08 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

Drove my Tip at the big track today (Chuckwalla). It was fantastic (in M mode). About as far from POS as one could imagine.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
Good grief. Another stupid, baseless KrazyK assertion. You don't get to say something like that with an easy out "JMHO" crap. If you're going to help owners / potential owners - stick with the facts.

The 996 Tips come in two flavors - Mk1 and Mk2 cars. Mk1 made by ZF and Mk2 made by Mercedes Benz. The Mk2 Mercedes Benz sourced Tip is probably the most bullet proof high performance automatic transmission in the market. It was designed originally for their AMG cars and Porsche sourced it first for the 2001 Turbo and then used it for all Mk2 Tip 996 cars. It is one of the fastest shifting auto transmissions of its time with a myriad of adaptive programs.

You can have your personal preference for 6 speed, but for many commuters who use their cars as DD (unlike you who bought a 996 to be too scared to drive it) - a Tip 996 is really a great option to consider.
QFT.

MK2 996 tiptronic was built for AMG cars, it is capable of handling the 2x the power that 996 N/A puts out. Same can't be said for the 6 speed manual.

KrazyK, educate yourself: Mercedes-Benz 5G-TRONIC (also called 722.6) is an electronically shifted 5-speed overdrive automatic transmission. It is in the process of being replaced by the Mercedes Benz 7G-Tronic Transmission which was introduced in 2003. However, all V12-powered cars such as the S600 and S65 AMG still retain the 5G-Tronic, which has a torque capacity of 796 lb-ft.

996 MK2 tiptronic is one the best automatic transmission for high performance cars. Period.

I am more than pleased with my tiptronic. It is lightning quick with shifting, manual mode is great as you can keep both hands on the wheel, and I never have to worry about over revs.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ Exactly! But the GT1 blocks are more reliable than the M96/97s. So where does that rank the 996 and 997 engines. That is the point.
This is my reason for Turbo > n/a.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:45 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

ok OP 5 pages of opinions and arguments... what did you choose?

Quick Reply: C4S or turbo?