Sponsored by:

considering engine mounts. DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default considering engine mounts. DIY

For you guys that have changed the engine mounts. What difference do you feel in the running of the car. Since putting an added weight of about 60lbs on the car from the hard top for the winter, mine feels every bump in the road mainly at the back end. Other than that the car runs impeccably. Would changing the mounts make any difference to that part? I have in mind Corseco OEM supplier from Pelican Parts. I don't track the car so would prefer a semi hard type as the originals on the car now. Tell me which type and make you advice and why. Thanks. ^
67000 miles on the clock. 99 Cab C2.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought the pelican parts ... Installed at 75k... Super worth it!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ordered mine from Pelican, and I am waiting on them to be delivered. Cabin vibration, a low hanging tail pipe and better shifting expected when they are replaced.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:27 AM
silotwo
Banned

Hurdi, I just replaced mine yesterday. Purchased from Pelican as the OEM mount as I don't track my cars either. For you this would be a super easy DIY. Seems as if everything is better, clutch, shifting, handling, and power.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

More power?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
silotwo
Banned

Originally Posted by aviography
More power?
Yes. Completely unexpected result. I do however seem to remember reading that the position of the engine affects engine timing, how that would work is totally beyond me. But, the difference is significantly noticeable. The car zips to redline and I am glad I was paying attention before I hit the rev limiter. Just to make sure it wasn't a placebo affect I had my son drive it solo last night, he has driven it many times before, and when he came back he asked me what I did because it was like a different car. I told him motor mounts and his response was "no way". Yes, way.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I mostly notice the difference in the shifting performance of the car. Not much difference in ride quality or vibration for me.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:51 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed mine myself earlier this year, and can't believe how much smoother the motor is, how much shifting has improved, and how much better the overall driving experience is.

DO IT!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:01 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well then, may have to do this before winter storage!

Coincidentally one of the fellow 996 owner was asking me this at our Sat GTG a couple of days ago, he mentioned the motor vibration is gone and shift quality has improved. Not knowing what the car felt when it was spanking new, I have nothing to compare with.

There are just two engine mounts, correct? Will probably change out one of the noisy idler pulley/bearing at the same time, noticed it earlier this year when doing the water pump and thermostat, might as well get it all done.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

I think I'm beginning to see a "droopy" tail pipe on one side. I think I need to change my motor mounts too...
Old 10-14-2013, 01:06 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, there are only two engine mounts. Its super easy as long as you have a low profile hydraulic jack and jack stands. You need to support the engine with the jack while you take out the old mounts. The car needs to be up on stands (or something) at the same time. Also need a deep well socket (not sure - may be 18mm).

Oh and it was a great improvement for my car. I didnt notice an increase in power but the decrease in cabin vibrations was pronounced. It really changed the driving experience. Much smoother feeling now that the interior is not shaking.

Last edited by sjg1138; 10-14-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

This project, replacing your engine mounts, is extremely popular and does not require any special mechanical knowledge/experience. Very straightforward.

We tend to put many miles on the engine mounts over time and not notice the declining performance or engine sagging but when the swap is made, suddenly shifts are crisper and throttle response is more immediate - it's a very noticeable difference.

For product information, click here.

For removal and install instructions, refer to:
911 Carrera Engine Mount Replacement

Let us know what questions you have at anytime!
Mark/Pelican Parts
Old 10-14-2013, 04:15 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my motor mounts a few months ago, ran into a couple problems that were my fault (broken bolt and coolant line), you can see my story and some pics here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...bly-wrong.html

Didn't notice a huge change after doing it, but my engine was running and shifting pretty smoothly to begin with. Should be a nice easy DIY.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading this thread, I had to order some mounts. It seems like cheap insurance against future problems. (Closing in on 100k miles)

Damn this site. every time i come here, i end up spending money.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rglbegl
After reading this thread, I had to order some mounts. It seems like cheap insurance against future problems. (Closing in on 100k miles)

Damn this site. every time i come here, i end up spending money.
hahaha. This DIY gets into the blood for sure. After reading the thread about 'motor mounts DIY that went horribly wrong', I don't know if it's a good idea or not. Then again all the pointers are there to avoid similar mistakes. Breaking bolts off and snapping connectors. Things to be avoided. So I am still 'going for it' and ordering from Pelican parts.

OK I just ordered (or my wife did for me) 2 engine mounts plus an air filter from Pelican Parts $206. I also needed a coil mounting screw $1-75 and even though the air filter and engine mounts qualified for free shipping, the coil mounting screw DID NOT and Pelican parts were adding on $13 for a 1-75 screw. I told them to stick the screw where the monkey sticks his nuts. UP THEIR ***. That has pissed me off. UNLESS PELICAN PARTS READS THIS AND STICKS A COIL MOUNTING SCREW IN THERE FOR FREE.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 10-14-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: considering engine mounts. DIY