996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

considering engine mounts. DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You may want to replace the backup light switch while you are down there (if it hasn't been done). Mine went bad at 70k miles and if I recall it costs $10 or so.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sjg1138
You may want to replace the backup light switch while you are down there (if it hasn't been done). Mine went bad at 70k miles and if I recall it costs $10 or so.
Actually replaced mine when it went bad on me at about 60000 miles. (Discovered during the annual test. Thanks anyway if that post was directed to me. That was the easiest DIY I have done yet.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced mine a few ago. Bought the stock mounts from Pelican. I did not notice smoother shifts and slightly less cabin vibration. The DIY is very straight forward. I think it took me just as long to get the car on jack stands than it did to replace the mounts. Overall for $200 I think it is worth it.

I considered the semi solid mounts but I have the H&R lowering springs which already makes the ride a bit stiff. I don't track my car so I stuck with the stock mounts and I am happy so far. It was a subtle change but noticeable.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

OK I have everything ready for the motor mounts arriving in a couple of days. I Used PB Blaster to break the hold on the bottom nuts using a large torsion bar and half inch long reach wrench with extension. Then I removed the air pump no problem or enough to crack open last bolt. Then cracked open the other 3 bolts which hold the top of the mounts. Then took the strain off the engine letting the car rest on two rear stands. So the only thinbgs I am waiting for now are the engine mounts coming from Pelican Parts along with an air filter. OMG is it dirty in that engine compartment.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 PM
rglbegl
Racer

^^^ Do you have an air compressor?^^^

I just found out I am close to Pelican.
Ordered them yesterday, got my new mounts today.

Pelican is my new favorite company
Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Just make sure to Torque them to spec when you put them back in Hurdi, other than that it looks like you've got everything prepped.

DS
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Invius
Just make sure to Torque them to spec when you put them back in Hurdi, other than that it looks like you've got everything prepped.

DS
Invius,,,,,Would you know the exact torque specs for top and underneath bolts?

rglbegl:- don't have a compressor. Would be handy to blow away some of that dust when I have things all sealed up again. I have full scuba tanks with 3500PSI in them I could use if needed.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lower bolts were 63 ft-lbs. Be careful torquing down the upper bolts, they're only 20 or 25 ft-lbs. There's a nice DIY if you google it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the lower bolts were 63 ft-lbs. Be careful torquing down the upper bolts, they're only 20 or 25 ft-lbs. There's a nice DIY if you google it.
63 ft. lbs. for the lower nut - mount to engine carrier - is correct - double checked in the Bentley manual. I believe I used 19 ft. lbs. for the upper bolts but don't know for sure where I came up with that.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Hurdigurdiman;10832663]Invius,,,,,Would you know the exact torque specs for top and underneath bolts?

Hurdi, My notes were 63ft./lb for the bottom bolt, and 20 ft./lb for the two top bolts in the engine compartment.

Cheers,

DS
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Way to go Hurdi ! Good luck. She looks like she is in good hands.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
http://www.georgeco.org/?p=934

Hurdi - if you can hit this link it's a clean DIY on the mounts. Note the photo of old and new mounts compared - this is exactly how mine looked. I had her out multiple times today (multiple trips to the auto parts store for the Ford - different story) and I continue to notice huge gains, was on the twisty country roads today and am very impressed with the improvement in handling - never would have guessed.

I can't wait to hear what you think after you ride with new mounts. I know we'll get a direct and no b.s. opinion - and that's a good thing.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:17 AM
rglbegl
Racer

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
. .
rglbegl:- don't have a compressor. Would be handy to blow away some of that dust when I have things all sealed up again. I have full scuba tanks with 3500PSI in them I could use if needed.
Even a cheap compressor will work. (Go get one) Get an air nozzle, and at low pressure spray a squirt bottle in front of the air. mildly soapy water with a little air pressure gets in all the hard to reach places. Then just rinse with soft water and it leaves no water spots.

From there you can do the rest by hand. Little armor-all here, some wax on the painted parts, etc etc
Old 10-16-2013, 04:07 PM
PelicanParts.com
Former Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Good work/info going on in this thread!
Mark/Pelican parts
Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

OK I did the mounts in about an hour and a half and here is the difference new and old. Plus I cleaned the engine bay up some as it was filthy. I don't know if I feel a positive difference as the car always ran spot on anyway. It was something which I had to do as PM.

PS:- BTW the car IS defo running smoother, grips the road on bends tighter and my wife says its running like a new car. I have had it out again and find that to be true.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 10-19-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: considering engine mounts. DIY