996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Crunchy Clutch Pedal - Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Use2HaveAPorsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crunchy Clutch Pedal - Advice Please!

Hello Everyone!

First time poster here. I am looking at a really nice 2003 9114s with my dad. He owned a mint 2002 911 some years ago. He loved it - as did I

Anyways, were looking at buying this really nice 2003 9114s. Black with the Aero kit, turbo wheels, etc. Test drove it today and all the categories checked out with the exception of the clutch.

The clutch pedal has a noticeable and consistent "crunchy" feeling when depressing and releasing the pedal. I also noticed there is an associated squeaking when I move my foot back and forth on the pedal, coming from underneath the vehicle and occurs whether the car is on or off. The only thing I can't tell you (can't remember) is whether the crunch is there while the vehicle off.

We really like the car and besides this issue it is in great condition. Any words of advice and/or suggestions to what this might be please feel free to post! I am happy to answer any questions. I will do my best to remember!

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,521 Likes on 953 Posts

Have a proper pre-purchase inspection by a Porsche mechanic and your questions will be answered.

A "crunchy" clutch pedal could be something as simple as the helper spring needing lubrication, or it could be the last gasps of a dying clutch.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

The helper spring at the top of the clutch pedal can get "crunchy" and squeaky. That is in the car under the dash not outside under the car.
#9 in the pic.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2013, 11:20 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Read this thread to know more then you wanted to know about the clutch assist spring.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...matically.html
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Use2HaveAPorsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a proper pre-purchase inspection by a Porsche mechanic and your questions will be answered.

A "crunchy" clutch pedal could be something as simple as the helper spring needing lubrication, or it could be the last gasps of a dying clutch.
Yes, this is certainly a good idea and a must. By the way, beautiful color on your 911. Exact same as my dad's previous Carrera looks different in the various lights... Awesome!

fpb111-

The helper spring could be the culprit. However, the squeaky noise is fairly loud and it is coming from underneath the car, towards the rear. I had my dad pump the clutch while the car was off and the squeaking is clear as day. It kind of sounds like a spring being stretched with an associated squeaky noise. The car has 31k and appears in otherwise good condition.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Clutch slave cylinder failure.
Plastic tip breaks, exposed metal rod causes poor contact with release bearing pivot (noise), and only the tension from the pivot keeps the push rod and boot assembly from coming apart completely.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 AM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 71 Posts

Is this something that can be fixed without having to lower the transmission/engine?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You defo need A Porsche Mechanic to check it out before buying. It can be sorted if you are set on buying this car. I would negotiate a deal $5000 lower than the asking price (After the PPI) coz sure as eggs are eggs they will have to drop the transmission and parts needed are not cheap. It may need a new clutch as well as other stuff down there. MHO by the description of the car, this fellow was more concerned with how the car looked as apposed to how it ran. Don't set your heart just yet. Tread warily on this. I don't like the fact that this guy put his car up for sale KNOWING that the squeak was there and didn't get it fixed. What else is wrong with it I wonder.? Get a good PPI done on it and negotiate the price accordingly. Read up exactly just how this model is supposed to work. Get the mechanic to check all those things. Mainly the electrical working parts.
Get your PPI mechanic to check to see if the clutch assistance spring is still where it should be. Some idiot modders remove it because they can't handle a PORCHE car in the first place and think they know better than the Porsche Designers. .

Quick Reply: Crunchy Clutch Pedal - Advice Please!