Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ODBII & Iphone Software to make track day videos

Hey everyone,

I just bought a WiFi ODBII scanner for $23:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...im&tag=fged-20

And I'd like to make videos that look like ALapRecord (Android only) on my iPhone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...corderhd&hl=en

The best software I could find for iphone was DashCommand $50:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Have any other recommendations?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Harry's Lap Timer is excellent...

Three different feature levels as described here, $10 (Rookie), $20 (Petrolhead), $28 (Grand Prix).

The Petrolhead version is probably the one you need unless you want multiple camera angles (you can slave a second IOS device or Hero camera for secondary recording on the Grand Prix).

Video's like this are very easy to generate, also will overlay OBD data if you configure it correctly. You can also configure external, high resolution GPS units for a higher level of accuracy, but I've found the camera and GPS built in to the iphone provide excellent results for track days.

Last edited by pfbz; 09-28-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:13 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

...Combine it with a RAM Mounts iPhone windshield suction mount (less than $40 from expressmounts), and you are ready to go!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:25 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Can you combine ODBII data with Harry's? I'd like to overlay revs like in aLapRecorder.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:26 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Sorry, just reread your post and found my answer!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:32 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Anyone know if we can use Harry's Grand Prix with a wifi ODB scanner and wifi gopro?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:43 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Hey everyone,

I just bought a WiFi ODBII scanner for $23:
Is this ODBII reader iPhone compatible? I bought another type and my iPhone won't connect to it. Seems it has to be approved by the Apple company.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

I hope so, bought it off of the recommendation in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...or-iphone.html
Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Anyone know if we can use Harry's Grand Prix with a wifi ODB scanner and wifi gopro?
Harry's Lap Timer has a good forum were you can get answers to your specific questions, but I don't think this will work... Not a fault of HLT or the iPhone, but GoPro's wifi connection limitation.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by babylonboots
Is this ODBII reader iPhone compatible? I bought another type and my iPhone won't connect to it. Seems it has to be approved by the Apple company.
Typically it is the super inexpensive bluetooth OBD readers that have difficulty connecting to Apple i devices, not wifi versions... Apple enforces security standards for data devices connecting with bluetooth to iDevices, and I think only one OBD bluetooth device is compliant, the GoPoint BT1.

If you jailbreak your iDevice, you can usually get the cheapo bluetooth OBD devices to connect.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You can do it with a Bluetooth OBD dongle. I'm currently using this set-up with Gopro hero 3 black and my iPad mini. I would recommend checking out HLT forums they are very help in getting things set-up. Harry is also ver responsive to set-up questions.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Can you tell me which Bluetooth ODB dongle you have working with your ipad mini?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Slopesider can chime in as well, but I'm pretty sure the *only* BT OBD2 device that will work with an ipad/iphone that is not jailbroken is going to be the GoPoint BT1 I mentioned above, about $100..

If you have a jailbroken iDevice, most of the cheapo ELM327 dongles can be made to work, though they can be difficult to get set up properly. You will need additional Cydia Apps, RoqyBT4 and RoqyOBD. Roqy charges a few bucks to enable full functionality with the OBD2 device.

If you are not familiar with jailbreaking, or don't know what Cydia is, or have a IOS version for which their is currently no jailbreak, I'd suggest just going with the GoPoint BT device for the extra $70 or so and having a fully supported solution.

I'm using this generic BT OBD2 device with my Jailbroken iPad mini, with Harry's Lap Timer, with GoPro Hero3 wifi connection.
$24 on Amazon. $24 on Amazon.

Using an extension cable helps put the BT dongle in a better location,
$9 on Amazon $9 on Amazon

Last edited by pfbz; 09-30-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Slopesider can chime in as well, but I'm pretty sure the *only* BT OBD2 device that will work with an ipad/iphone that is not jailbroken is going to be the GoPoint BT1 Imentioned above, about $100..

If you have a jailbroken iDevice, most of the cheapo ELM327 dongles can be made to work, though they can be difficult to get set up properly. You will need additional Cydia Apps, RoqyBT4 and RoqyOBD. Roqy charges a few bucks to enable full functionality with the OBD2 device.

If you are not familiar with jailbreaking, or don't know what Cydia is, or have a IOS version for which their is currently no jailbreak, I'd suggest just going with the GoPoint BT device for the extra $70 or so and having a fully supported solution.

I'm using this generic BT OBD2 device with my Jailbroken iPad mini, with Harry's Lap Timer, with GoPro Hero3 wifi connection. $24 on Amazon.

Using an extension cable helps put the BT dongle in a better location, $9 on Amazon.

I'm using the GoPoint BT1 because seemed to have the least issues. There are others that will work but the BT1 is the preferred dongle.

Check out this form http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/viewforum.php?f=20 for more info. Harry has conducted extensive testing and will out line exactly what you need to do to get everything working.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:56 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

I bought the same Wifi unit and software as the OP. In the setup of DashCommand where you select your car, they list "Porche", which doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the software. It also doesn't list any models under that heading. Not sure if that has any bearing on what data it pulls down, but it can't get my VIN. My ordinary ODBII reader pulls in the VIN without any problems.

Has anyone else encountered this and do you have a workaround?

I also bought the cable. Any suggestions on where and how to mount it?

Quick Reply: ODBII & Iphone Software to make track day videos