Sponsored by:

Help sorting through the IMS hoopla

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help sorting through the IMS hoopla

We've had our March build 01 since new and I've followed the IMS situation over the years with the plan to replace ours the next time we did the clutch (sometime in the next 10k or so). Even so I've had a hard time sorting out the details and really what's best.

The latest thing to get me is that our VIN is not in the list for the class action. I know earlier engines were setup differently (and not prone to the failure?) but I thought the change was early or mid 2000.

So is our engine still prone (using the term loosely) to an IMS failure or are we good? If it still falls into the at risk category, are the fix options still the same as the later engines that are included in the class action?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 913 Posts

I'm surprised that your VIN isn't included in the class action suit. The 996 3.4 and 3.6 engines are susceptible to the issue. I think it's still a good idea to have your IMS bearing changed when you do your clutch.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

According to the details for the class ours was built about two months before the earliest included VIN.

I'm all for replacing it proactively if needed, but I want to know that it is needed (or at least smart) and also that I'm getting the correct fix before spending a bunch of money to tear it down only to have the wrong part.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was in your shoes, I would replace the IMS bearing with the new clutch within the next 10k miles. Your motor is prone to IMS bearing failure.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If your car has done over 50,000 then its a safe bet that your ims is going to be ok. Apparently they fail at lower mileage. After saying that, if you are looking for peace of mind and you can get it by changing the one that's in the engine, then simply get the job done at the next clutch change. For further peace of mind there are lots of other things that need to be replaced under "preventative" maintenance according to other users of this board. I BTW have peace of mind with the original one in a 99 engine at 66000 miles on the clock. On the other hand, I have changed lots of other things as preventative maintenance work over the past 2 and a half years. The 996 has certainly made me into a DIY man (to a point). Most times its best to leave things running if they are in fact running and only change it when it fails. But you have the option to change it when the clutch is being changed so get it done for YOUR peace of mind plus anything else you can't manage as a DIY project.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
We've had our March build 01 since new and I've followed the IMS situation over the years with the plan to replace ours the next time we did the clutch (sometime in the next 10k or so). Even so I've had a hard time sorting out the details and really what's best.

The latest thing to get me is that our VIN is not in the list for the class action. I know earlier engines were setup differently (and not prone to the failure?) but I thought the change was early or mid 2000.

So is our engine still prone (using the term loosely) to an IMS failure or are we good? If it still falls into the at risk category, are the fix options still the same as the later engines that are included in the class action?

Thanks
You are in the same boat that I am. My 2001 is not on the "bad" list and has almost 80,00 miles and is running good. Why replace it at your expense since you are excluded from the lawsuit?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm surprised that your VIN isn't included in the class action suit. The 996 3.4 and 3.6 engines are susceptible to the issue. I think it's still a good idea to have your IMS bearing changed when you do your clutch.
If you read the list not 100% of all 996's are going to have an IMS problem.

Originally Posted by white out
If I was in your shoes, I would replace the IMS bearing with the new clutch within the next 10k miles. Your motor is prone to IMS bearing failure.
Not true....if he was on the bad list then true. Why continue to pass on bad advice?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just change the bearing. The cost - if done with a clutch or RMS repair - is no more than 924/944/968 owners spend on timing belts every 40K.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 AM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there are other choices too:
- IMS Guardian (warning system)
- IMS Guardian Jr (warning system)
- the Solution (ceramic bearing and oiler)
- DOF (bearing and oiler)
and some "invented by the Porsche owner" solutions.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by porrsha
If you read the list not 100% of all 996's are going to have an IMS problem.
I did read the list. And you are correct; not all 996s are going to have an IMS problem. Mine didn't. I replaced my IMSB as a preventative measure with over 120K miles on the odometer. On thing is certain though - 100% of 996s have an IMS bearing that can fail. It doesn't matter if they aren't on the list. If technology exists to reduce the risk of a failure, which it does, then you're foolish not to take advantage of that technology. I'm not suggesting that it's an emergency that needs to be addressed immediately, but it should be changed when convenient (such as during a clutch replacement).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with Dennis. Simply change the bearing when you do your clutch as there is no reason to accept the risk given the low cost of replacing the bearing during a clutch replacement. I think we would all like to believe that there is some rhyme and reason that would allow us to predict whether or not our individual car is prone to failure; yet I believe that if there is any rhyme or reason, we will never be aware of it.

I have a 2004 C2 that I purchased as a CPO car in 2007. I changed the bearing at 75K miles during a clutch replacement, original bearing seemed fine and it turns out that the VIN is on the list but since I had the bearing replaced I am now exempt from any future claim under the class action.

I also have a 2004 C4S and the engine went at 37K miles, before the class action settlement, and the VIN is also on the list. Same owner, same driving style, same meticulous service routine, only variable is the mileage. Yet I did put over 14k miles on the C4S before the engine went. And oh, engine oil analysis on both cars, with oil changes at 5k miles, always looked good.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

why is no one offering the usual advice?

PANIC!!!

just don't drive it in the rain and it will be fine
Old 09-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
why is no one offering the usual advice?

PANIC!!!

just don't drive it in the rain and it will be fine
Speaking of which...where has Krazy K been?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Speaking of which...where has Krazy K been?
Yeah, you stole KK's line.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Thanks everyone, but this has turned into yet another opinion thread which is not helpful. I'm looking for actual details here so I can make the appropriate judgement.

Please understand that if the engine died tomorrow, we'd put a new engine in it. This isn't about cutting corners or trying to save some money, it's about doing the correct thing (which includes not messing with something that doesn't need to be messed with).

I understand that even if my IMSB is at risk, after 13 years and 70k it's generally accepted that it's probably fine (thus no panic and tear into it if not otherwise needed). I also know that it's not 100% risk free, so change it when we're in there.

I thought the earliest engines (99s? early 00s?) had a different IMSB that wasn't susceptible to the failure (or at least not as much). Is this not the case?

If my understanding is correct (different IMSB in the early years), does anyone have any hard facts about when the change occurred?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I did read the list. And you are correct; not all 996s are going to have an IMS problem. Mine didn't. I replaced my IMSB as a preventative measure with over 120K miles on the odometer. On thing is certain though - 100% of 996s have an IMS bearing that can fail. It doesn't matter if they aren't on the list.
I agree that being on that list or not is not a definitive judgement if you are safe or not. Their reasoning for which cars are included is at least as much due to with the lawyers as it was the Techs. It does, however, give me enough pause to question and verify my understanding of the whole issue.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you're dealing with a bearing (wear part) that has 70k miles and is prone to failure. Generally I am not one to suggest replacing perfectly good parts unless they are very cheap. However, when it comes to a part that's performance controls the fate of your engine and has a reputation for failing, it's worth spending the extra money and replacing that part (OEM or aftermarket) while you have the engine/trans separated.

Do I think it's worth replacing the IMS bearing on its own as a precaution if the engine/trans doesn't have to come apart, no.
Originally Posted by porrsha
Not true....if he was on the bad list then true. Why continue to pass on bad advice?
Because more cars not on the list have had IMS bearing failures. My '99 original engine fell victim to it. That list isn't the tell all of affected cars, just cars that are the end product of the law suit.

Quick Reply: Help sorting through the IMS hoopla