Sponsored by:

Handsfree Phone Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Handsfree Phone Dumb Question

My '99 has a built in microphone in the dash, the CR-220 head unit has a phone mode and I have an iphone 4. How do I make them work together? Or maybe the performance is so bad that I shouldn't waste my time. I have the hi-fi Bose and I was planning to unplug the frunk CD unit and plug in my iphone. I know a Becker cable can do the audio part but what about the phone? I can use the voice control on the phone to initiate calls.

I know this is odd but there is something about the CR-220 that I like. It blends with the vintage of the car.

I started by searching for an answer but there were so many tech terms that I got confused.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know the answer, but I suspect it is old technology. I purchased a Motorola hands free unit that fits on the visor and works pretty good. I think it cost about $50.00
Old 09-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 784 Posts

The 996 has a connector behind the dash that allows for you to connect a telephone kit. The connector has power as well as a connection to the CDR-220 that will mute it when you receive a call. That's the only thing that the CDR-220 does - the call audio can't be heard through the stereo speakers. Also, the factory mic location doesn't actually contain a mic - you have to add one.

Before I upgraded my system, I had a motorola hands-free kit connected to my CDR-220. It worked reasonably well, but the interior of the 996 is so loud due to engine and tire noise that the hands-free functionality is very limited when the car is moving.

My current system has the mic placed in the factory location, and the sound quality is quite poor.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm not sure there is actually a microphone behind that tiny grille on the left side of the instrument cluster if your car didn't come originally equipped with a "hands free" option. (perhaps your car did?)

I've had that cover off on my car, and while there is an instrument cluster removal screw behind it, I didn't see a microphone.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Garman GPS on all the time via my cig lighter socket and USB adaptor. The GPS picks up my cell phone and all of my contacts and any incoming calls. I haven't tried it but the Garman may have speak recognition and I maybe able to call out still hands free. I have my cell phone on Bluetooth and get all calls coming over the GPS. No problem on hearing them either. I don't have loud music or a screaming engine. I can hear the call easily from the GPS which is on full volume and I am 72 years of age and half deaf haha. .
Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a timely thread for me, since I just ordered a Bluetooth head unit to replace my cdr-210. I would likely have tried to use that mic location in the dash for the microphone, but per Dennis' claim that the sound isn't good with it there, I'll put it elsewhere!

Jon, as stated previously, you may be able to use the cdr-220 to play what would come out of the earpiece on your iPhone, but the mic in the dash won't work through the iPhone interface, so you won't be able to use the iPhone hands-free.

Your iPhone will mute playing music naturally when it gets a call, though.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
This is a timely thread for me, since I just ordered a Bluetooth head unit to replace my cdr-210. I would likely have tried to use that mic location in the dash for the microphone, but per Dennis' claim that the sound isn't good with it there, I'll put it elsewhere!

Jon, as stated previously, you may be able to use the cdr-220 to play what would come out of the earpiece on your iPhone, but the mic in the dash won't work through the iPhone interface, so you won't be able to use the iPhone hands-free.

Your iPhone will mute playing music naturally when it gets a call, though.
I'm not sure if this helps, but when I had the Motorola hands-free kit the mic was mounted on the a-pillar, fairly close to the driver's head. The sound quality was still poor. There's just too much noise I the cabin of the 996.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm not sure if this helps, but when I had the Motorola hands-free kit the mic was mounted on the a-pillar, fairly close to the driver's head. The sound quality was still poor. There's just too much noise I the cabin of the 996.
Thanks. I'm not surprised. I haven't had a lot of luck with these devices in the quietest of cars. I'll give it a shot, though. I may even temporarily clip it to the sun visor. Too bad about that location on the dash, though. That would have been really slick!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this doesn't directly address the OP, but I've had good results with just using a Bose Bluetooth earpiece. Even with the top down, ( windows up and air deflector up), the other party can hear me quite well and I can hear them. On our GLK, the Bluetooth automatically engages via the radio, but we've found that the sound is still iffy, even with windows up.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Thanks. I'm not surprised. I haven't had a lot of luck with these devices in the quietest of cars. I'll give it a shot, though. I may even temporarily clip it to the sun visor. Too bad about that location on the dash, though. That would have been really slick!
That's where my mic is located now. I don't really think I could improve the sound by relocating it.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I have a pretty inexpensive Sony unit that has Bluetooth mic built into the head unit itself and I have had decent luck in both my C2 and now my Targa. I wouldn't want to have a conference call on it for something important but for "honey can you grab some milk" calls it is fine. The Pandora and android BT music streaming features are why I got it. The use able calling feature has been a bonus.

Quick Reply: Handsfree Phone Dumb Question