What to offer for a 2000 Millennium edition 911 with 28100 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
sraja
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to offer for a 2000 Millennium edition 911 with 28100 miles

Hi,

Was interested in purchasing this car - "]http://www.ferrariofseattle.com/Inventory/details.aspx?ID=286&stock=12458&year=2000&make=Porsche&model=911+Millenn ium+Edition[/URL]

The dealer wants $37,900 which seems like a lot so wanted to see if folks had some advice on what a good price for this would be

-thanks
shankar
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like quite a premium for what amounts to nothing more than a limited edition appearance package. You can get a 2000 C4 with lots of options for around $20K ish. IMHO. Or a newer 996 C4S for that kind of money or maybe an early 996 Turbo even.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 PM
fmmoto
Instructor

Mmmmm......what they're asking and what they'll take are two different prices but you figure they're going to try and land somewhere in the mid 30's.......with that said I'm sure there are other nice 996's in that price area to consider. As 996_North says it sounds like a premium for a car with a pretty dress on it. But if that's what you're chasing there's nothing wrong with that. Hey, you can always offer low and it may start some dialog toward negotiating a deal. Good luck if you decide to go for it.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That is 2004 40th Anniversary model $$$. While the Millenniums are nice, I don't see much more than a 10% premium for one. That price would have to move $10K to be in the ballpark.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Zanzibar Red 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you love the looks
There is a "I love this car"
Premium , plus low miles,
Could be worth $ 30,000
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996_North
Seems like quite a premium for what amounts to nothing more than a limited edition appearance package. You can get a 2000 C4 with lots of options for around $20K ish. IMHO. Or a newer 996 C4S for that kind of money or maybe an early 996 Turbo even.
Terry, please tell me where I can get these deals. Been looking for a replacement for my 99 C2 that I killed at Mosport and all I see are cabs or blasé 99's at prices that are much higher than a few years ago.

Help, I need a deal. Can't stand driving the Civic any longer!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:21 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_UCR

Terry, please tell me where I can get these deals. Been looking for a replacement for my 99 C2 that I killed at Mosport and all I see are cabs or blasé 99's at prices that are much higher than a few years ago.

Totally agree with this post. The prices being asked and paid for 996s in good shape is not consistent with the prices that get tossed around in this forum. It is almost like people see a 99 or 2000 listed for $16k ( that has 145,000 miles and an oil leak, bald tires and a slipping clutch) and then conclude that a 99 with 67,000 miles and preventative work done is worth "no more than $19,000" because of all the known issues with the cars.

Traditional pricing metrics are being used by sellers. Low miles plus options will be a higher price.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_UCR

There are about 11 99' - 00' 996s in the autotrader.ca for under $25K from 55Km to 155Km. I assumes the OP was in the US. They may be blase though. Low mileage is not necessarily a good thing. High mileage with good service records is better.

But...Ill be honest, I was surprised to see so many pushing $30K plus ! I paid 21K for mine about a year and a half ago, and I haven't looked at pricing since then. Interesting to see, although it is more important to know what they are actually selling at, rather than listing.

I still would not drop almost $40K for a 2000. just my opinion.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sraja
Hi,

Was interested in purchasing this car - "]http://www.ferrariofseattle.com/Inventory/details.aspx?ID=286&stock=12458&year=2000&make=Porsche&model=911+Millenn ium+Edition[/URL]

The dealer wants $37,900 which seems like a lot so wanted to see if folks had some advice on what a good price for this would be

-thanks
shankar
Assuming the car is in "excellent" shape/condition (which a 2000 with 28K miles would not be though it could be in real good condition) the suggested retail price is $29.7K, private sale price about $2K less.

(The above numbers from www.kbb.com.)

With the above suggested selling prices the dealer likely has much less in the car than the $27.7K private sale price. Let me see what wholesale is for this car....

Ok, "excellent" condition trade in: $24.8K.

Note I used www.kbb.com. You can use any one of the various online used car pricing sites you want. Use them all and then average the numbers, pick the lowest one, whatever you want.

The selling dealer is probably not a Porsche dealer. The car is just a "halo" car the sale of which does not materially affect the dealer's bottom line any. (The selling salesman probably gets a heck of a commission.)

The car is offered it appears by a Ferrari dealer... Dad comes in to buy his Ferrari and takes his change in the used 911 and gives it to one of his kids.

The car is a car that the dealer can wait for the buyer who'll pay the price, or even a negotiated lower price, maybe a rather large price drop: If the numbers I posted above are based on reality the dealer has around $10K of room to move on the price. He could then "let" the buyer negotiate the price down by $2K, $4K and the buyer thinks he stole the car while the dealer skips off merrily to the bank with a wad of cash in his fist.

Assuming the car is worth owning what's a good price? Well, I like to point out the car is worth somewhere between its trade in value and whatever you are willing to pay and whatever the seller is willing to take.

I'm not in the market for a used 911 and I do not know the market. Real good cars can command a premium. The car does have low miles. This is an attraction to most buyers. Off the top of my head I can't believe the car is worth what the dealer is asking.

All I can do is offer some lame advice that if the car checks out and you want the car, it passes a PPI, offer the dealer the 10% over the wholesale price.

Now the dealer is probably going reject that offer (understatement). But you have to be able to justify it.

(Oh, remember price is not fact only an opinion.)

Rattle off how many 2000 to 2004 911s there are for sale. Be able to list and in detail say 4 to 6 of the best but similar examples and their prices, assuming of course their prices help make your case for offering less, which they probably will.

Do not lay it on too thick but point out the car is nice, but a 2000 and getting kind of old. It has the 3.4l engine not the 3.6l. You do not want to paint the car in too negative a light otherwise the seller will wonder why you are looking at the car.

Make it clear by your words and your actions you are ready to buy today provided you get a price that is acceptable to you and if you walk out of the dealer without buying this 911 you will go to another seller and buy a car today.

Ask the seller when he thinks he'll get another person in ready to buy a 14 year old car?

The above is just a quick overview of one possible way to buy the car. I mean for every different car purchase there is a different way to buy the car. Assemble/come up with a way a technique that works for you.

I mean if the car is really nice and you like it offer the suggested retail price ($29.7K) for the car. Right now. Take it or I walk and buy -- then whip out your notebook and rattle off car model years, prices, etc. -- just to show the seller he's not got the only car for sale -- any one of a number of other cars.

BTW, you do not have to stick with just Porsches. You can have on your list other makes of cars. BMW. M-B. Infiniti. Etc. You do not have to tell the seller you would not caught dead in anything other than a Porsche though...
Old 09-02-2013, 10:32 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lovely exterior/interior combo..
Perhaps I missed an IMSB preventative listed in the ad but if not, then $26,900 will be a fair price.
If so, add $1,500... Millenium 996's are now more than halfway to antique status.
(Man does tempus fugit)

FOSeattle's pre-owned prices for their inventory looks high across the board;
even considering miles & condition.
Good luck and let us know!

Quick Reply: What to offer for a 2000 Millennium edition 911 with 28100 miles